Author Topic: Camshaft issue  (Read 12680 times)

Offline KarenDill

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Camshaft issue
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:58:32 am »
Our Cx5 - bought July 2013 has been off the road for 2 months now. Cost so far - £3500. The independent garage where we have now taken it have shown us the camshaft and the cams have worn down completely. Mazda are still refusing to admit this is what is causing the engine not to start and say the camshaft is serviceable. Beware if you have a Cx5 from 2013 or you are thinking of buying one - this is a known issue affecting Cx5s upto Sept 2013 but the problem is not necessarily apparent until outside the 3 year warranty period - ours was 4 months out of warranty

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Re: Camshaft issue
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
What have the garage done so far to have cost£3500. I think that if you had taken it to a Mazda dealer you would have had a much better chance of them sorting it out.  If the problem was the camshaft I am sure they would have given you some goodwill towards the cost as they know that the camshafts have had problems, but as soon as you go outside the Mazda dealership then any goodwill goes out of the window once out of warranty.
My car is also july2013 but I decided to take out the Mazda extended warranty at 3 years old because of this problem but I hope I don't need it. So far touch wood the car runs fine but I realise there is a chance that the cam could go. It must be remembered though that problems always seem worse on forums as people only talk about problems so what percentage of camshafts have gone I don't know but I think it's probably a fairly small percentage otherwise we would hear a lot more about it. I hope you get your car sorted soon without any more cost but keep pushing at Mazda uk for camshaft wear that shouldn't have happened. What mileage have you done?

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:04:51 pm »
It must be remembered though that problems always seem worse on forums as people only talk about problems so what percentage of camshafts have gone I don't know but I think it's probably a fairly small percentage otherwise we would hear a lot more about it.

What also needs to be remembered is that an unfortunately large number of people only join a forum when they have got a problem and wish to spread the bad news. Many times the forum membership will have already been informed of the problem and have therefore gained knowledge and prepared accordingly.

I refer you back to your own posting.
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=552.msg4057#msg4057

The known camshaft issue (which I had) affected some early 2.2d engines. It was improperly hardened cams which shed fine particles of cam material into the oil. That can then lead to other problems. In my case, the particles got into the very fine oil-ways in the turbo and cause the turbo bearings to fail. T

The "Forum" support network is a marvellous resource, but only if you are part of it.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:04:51 pm »