Author Topic: Looking To Buy A CX-5 - Some questions  (Read 27704 times)

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Looking To Buy A CX-5 - Some questions
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:31 pm »
Hi all,

Looking to buy a CX-5. Looking at a 2012-2014 Sport Nav. Havent decided on 150 manual or AWD Auto yet as trying to find an auto to test drive is proving a pain.

Wanted some technical info along with any opinions and experience please?

Firstly, what is the auto box like? Is it 6 speed? We are a young(ish) couple and dont hang around when driving so dont want something that is too lazy. This will be our first "sensible" car having had sports cars up to this point.

Is the AWD system permanent or reactive? IE is it always AWD or is it FWD until it detects slip, at which point it shifts the drive around to maintain traction? What is the system like from a standing start? Reason i ask is that my partner will be using it for work day to day and has to pull out of a carpark onto a busy 60mph road from a standing start. When we test drove the FWD version we found it very wheel spinney when giving it the beans off the line, although found the traction control very good at dealing with this. However to be fair, this car did have cheap nasty tyres on which would probably have played a big part in the front end grip

Have read mentions of Cam chain stretch and also one dealer we spoke to mentioned that full dealer history was important because they adjust the chain, something an independent probably wouldn't do. Is this true? 1. do they stretch much? 2. is adjusting the chain part of the servicing? 3. is this something that can be measured/ adjusted by someone other than a dealer?

If we go with an auto, most of the pictures i have looked at so far of the ones in my price range have an "open selector" which to be frank looks like something out of the 80's, however some of the newer ones have a leather gaitor and look much nicer and more inkeeping with the rest of the interior, can these be retro fitted to an older one?

Is the 175 worth the extra RFL and reduced MPG over the 150? The one we have driven so far was the 150 and was reasonably impressed with it but how much better is the 175?

Sorry for all the questions but would be very greatful if anyone has answers or opinions to give :)

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
Re: Looking To Buy A CX-5 - Some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »
yes the auto is 6 speed and it has a lot of new technology in it so the torque convertor locks up a lot for efficiency controlled by clever software. The co2 is not a lot higher for auto as it is with a lot of less sophisticated boxes, like kia sportage. I dont know if you can change the old gear lever for the newer one as i doubt anybody has tried it, i agree though the new one does look better, although neither has sport mode or flappy paddles as the more expensive and sophisticated cars tend to have.
I have only driven the 175 bhp model so cant comment on the 150 but when they were new a lot of road testers said that the 150 engine waS all you really need and wasn't worth spending the extra money on the 175. When you are buying second hand though i doubt there is much difference between them so you may as well get the more powerful one as the torque is really class leading on that one, iirc 320nm.
The AWD is an inteligent awd that is fwd unless it detects slip then its 4wd. The car seems to grip well traction wise and the handling for a tall 4x4 is really very good.
I would say that you need to drive long runs on a regular basis to buy a diesel these days as the dpf regens dont like short runs and cold running. If you come to a stop just when its started doing a regen then the extra diesel will just go to the sump and dilute the oil. This problem is not a big thing like it was in 2012 as the software has been changed a few times since then to drastically reduce the regens and legnth of regens. I dont know much about timimg chains but like most things reported on a forum things seem a lot worse than they really are as everybody is keen to write about problems but nobody write how well the car is running with no problems. Also remember there are only a few hundred active members of these forums at the most but Mazda have sold tens of thousands of the cars.
All in all though i find the car a very smooth relaxed drive in auto  and awd and i average around 42-44 mpg depending on winter or summer. Try to get as late a car as possible so that some of the early teething problems will have been ironed out. Good luck with it.

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »
Thanks for this.

Know all about DPF issues etc... as worked in the motor trade until recently, hence the more technical questions :)

Car will be doing 15 mile journeys each way for commuting everyday plus longer runs reasonably frequently, adding up to around 15-20k a year so Diesel is the way to go for me. Always had petrols until now and only had sports cars for a while so looking forward to the lazy torque of the diesel. Current main car which will be promoted to weekend/ 2nd car is an Audi TT 1.8t Quattro so used to endless traction off the line.

Was very impressed with the way the CX-5 handled and rode. Comfortable ride but not much body roll is impressive.

Hopefully going to test and 175 Auto AWD at the weekend and will then make up our minds which way to go. The 150 manual attracts me as £30 a year tax and "claimed" 61mpg (although i know it wont be that high in real life) will be much improved over current 25mpg we get our of the Audi!

Offline Deepjoy22

• Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:33:02 pm »
Minor point on the previous comment, but the £30 tax I believe changes for new cars from 1st April (2 year old budget kicking in).

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:30 am »
Minor point on the previous comment, but the £30 tax I believe changes for new cars from 1st April (2 year old budget kicking in).

Budget changes only affect new cars i believe?

Have put a deposit down on a 2.2d 175 Sport Nav Auto in Red. Hoping to pick it up on Friday  ;D

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:57 am »
yes the budget only affects new cars road tax. i am sure you will love the new car what year is it?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:31:04 am »
With a 2013 model you may be OK, but I would suggest that you check the VIN before committing. Some early engines have a known engine issue due to improperly hardened camshafts, these can shed material into the oil - in my case it caused the turbo bearings to fail. Fortunately, mine (a 2102 175 sport nav manual) was still in warranty at the time and was sorted. If the vehicle is out of the standard warranty AND the serial falls into the range below, I'd be asking for an extended warranty included as a minimum. Despite what Mazda may say, this IS a known issue, although there's never  been a recall for it. I think they are just hoping that the affected engines get part the warranty period before failing.

To quote from an early post on this subject - "VIN numbers for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE"

Alan

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:42 am »
Thanks Alan,

Unless anyone knows a way to get the VIN number from the reg number, i cant check on that at the mo as only have a reg number...

The one i have a deposit down on is a 63 plate Zeal Red 175 Sport Nav Auto AWD with (i think) the safety pack :)

Its in Northampton which is about 1.5 hour drive from me so wont see it until going to buy it and, hopefully, drive it away on Friday all being well so can't wait! Did a few test drives before choosing, managed to drive a 150 FWD, an AWD auto and a 175 FWD and decided the Auto was the one for us :)

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:11 am »
As its registered late in 2013 you may be ok for camshaft but they dont all go anyway even if you are in that range. Zeal red is unusual as most reds tend to be the soul red. Good luck with the car when you pick it up you should love it as they do drive particularly well.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 10:19:14 am »
Zeal Red was the original metallic red on the series 1 models, Soul Red replaced it on the 2015 facelift models. I went from one to the other when I changed in 2015.

Thinking about it, I've still got a Chipex paint repair kit for the Zeal Red if anyone needs one? I bought it to sort out some scratches on mine - it wasn't totally successful on those but worked well on some stone chips.

Alan

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »
As Al says, think Zeal Red was just the red on the pre facelift. I believe they are changing the red slightly again for the 2017 facelift... although retaining the Soul Red name

Offline FireDiamondUK

Auto Selector
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:35 pm »
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone knows if it is easy/ possible to change the auto gear selector from the older style open gate wiggly version to the newer leather boot covered straight track version? I believe the change over was before facelift in 2014 as i saw some 14/64 plates with them on my search for a car but have ended up with a 63 plate with the open wiggly one which looks like it came straight out the 80's :)

Is it just a case of changing the selector or does it go down as far as the box?

Cheers

Offline Rogthedodge65

Re: Auto Selector
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 08:58:32 am »
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone knows if it is easy/ possible to change the auto gear selector from the older style open gate wiggly version to the newer leather boot covered straight track version? I believe the change over was before facelift in 2014 as i saw some 14/64 plates with them on my search for a car but have ended up with a 63 plate with the open wiggly one which looks like it came straight out the 80's :)

Is it just a case of changing the selector or does it go down as far as the box?

Cheers

Just wondered if you ever found the answer to your question? I would like to do the same. Cheers, Roger

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 09:27:34 am »
Zeal Red was the original metallic red on the series 1 models, Soul Red replaced it on the 2015 facelift models. I went from one to the other when I changed in 2015.

Thinking about it, I've still got a Chipex paint repair kit for the Zeal Red if anyone needs one? I bought it to sort out some scratches on mine - it wasn't totally successful on those but worked well on some stone chips.

Alan
Mine is a 2013 and is soul red. Zeal red was another colour.

Offline Jude

• Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
Don't really have any tech replies but just to say we got our CX5 in June this year, the 2.2 auto diesel 150bhp Sport Nav in Soul Red. Fabulous car, comfortable, high driving position, auto boot, heads up display, it goes on and on. Need to find more places to go so I can drive it, love it.

The only issue I have which is an important one for me, I am a female driver and years ago I was attacked while sitting at traffic lights and my mobile stolen, I always need to know I am driving with locked doors, the model of the CX5 we have doesn't seem to have this.

It locks from the inside when I remember to move the switch, it locks on walk away, but no auto lock. On the display under settings - vehicle, there is an auto door lock mode but this doesn't give the auto door lock although the newer + models this year do have it.

Anyone have the answer please, its really annoying me now!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »