Author Topic: 2014 CX-5 - Default Audio System Issues - Any Fixes?  (Read 8268 times)

Offline AlanMazdaMan

• Am I Sinking or Swimming? I'm Far From Shore.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
2014 CX-5 - Default Audio System Issues - Any Fixes?
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:22:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

My CX-5 is dealer serviced, but they seem to know not a lot about the audio system - and they *think* it is up to the latest software rev  - but suggested I ask my questions here in case someone with in-depth expertise can provide advice or answers.

The car has the default audio system - not the uplifted or the Bose upgrade. Also, it does not have the SatNav option enabled.

My questions:
  • As I see has been remarked several times in these forums (going back 2-3 years now) THE most annoying feature of the system is that when playing music from USB memory sticks it begins playing from track 1 EVERY time you restart the car. Has this ever been fixed?
  • I'm mainly playing WAV files from USB. The head unit doesn't seem to be able to pull even simple metatags out of WAV files and display them (for example, Artist and Song Title) - though it can for MP3 files. Is that right or am I just not tagging my WAV files properly - is there a guide to that anywhere?
  • The Bass sound from the head unit is incredibly variable. Even if you backoff the bass setting on the equaliser a long way some track's bass really booms, whilst others sound like 1960s transmissions from the moon.  This is perhaps an artefact of my liking pop music of all eras (60s to now) but (a) the same tracks sound far less different on other setups (for example, I had a Ford courtesy car and that had no such problem) and (b) there doesn't seem to be any exact correlation between the age of the track and the manifestation of the problem.
  • The track details display gives arrow buttons to allow display of long names. Is there anyway to make such names auto-scroll like they do on pretty much all other head units? Having that button to press is surely a potential distractive safety hazard?
  • When playing a bunch of files from a memory stick the "Shuffle" function is VERY likely to play exactly the same initial sequence of tracks (about the first 5 tracks are the same) - no matter when you set the shuffle function on (i.e. if you wait 10 minutes after starting the car it does the same as if you press it straight way). I would imagine that the software uses some random element like a free-running counter or clock time as the seed for randomisation, so I am puzzled by this. ALSO the Shuffle setting does not persist - i.e. after the car has been stopped and restarted, it always annoyingly resets to "off". Is there any fix for these "features"?
  • The track details display gives arrow buttons to allow display of long names. Is there anyway to make such names auto-scroll like they do on pretty much all other head units? Having that button to press is surely a potential distractive safety hazard?
  • Finally, the voice control system: I find that once you get used to using it, this works pretty well. However, ALWAYS after restarting the car, it gets the first voice command wrong. I'm used to that now, so I just say some rubbish and get it out of the way before I speak a real command. But is "first command never recognised" a known problem?

Thanks for any tips, fixes, advice or thoughts on these.
Alan T.
Drive to live - live to drive.

Offline Bert321

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: 2014 CX-5 - Default Audio System Issues - Any Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:33 am »
when playing music from USB memory sticks it begins playing from track 1 EVERY time you restart the car. Has this ever been fixed?

The track details display gives arrow buttons to allow display of long names. Is there anyway to make such names auto-scroll like they do on pretty much all other head units?

When playing a bunch of files from a memory stick the "Shuffle" function is VERY likely to play exactly the same initial sequence of tracks

the Shuffle setting does not persist - i.e. after the car has been stopped and restarted, it always annoyingly resets to "off"

the voice control system: ALWAYS after restarting the car, it gets the first voice command wrong.  is "first command never recognised" a known problem?

I use an ipod (via usb) which defaulted to track 1 every time too, and also took about 5 mins to load.  I had a new bluetooth controller fitted under warranty  which cured the problems (apparently it also controls the usb).  I say cured, but actually it still starts from track 1 when playing a playlist, but not when playing any other 'category', ie it's ok when listening to an album, or playing by genre etc.

I haven't came across a setting to have the track details auto-scroll (but it doesn't bother me so I haven't really looked for one).

I haven't noticed that shuffle plays the same initial sequence either, but I'll look out for this and post back in due course.

My shuffle always defaults to off.

I don't use the voice control much but will also check it out and report back.

Hope this helps :)

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: 2014 CX-5 - Default Audio System Issues - Any Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:33 am »