Author Topic: Buying: 2014 CX-5 68k miles  (Read 11801 times)

Offline Mazdagurl

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Buying: 2014 CX-5 68k miles
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:42 pm »
Hi,
I am in the market for a 3 year old CX-5, needs to be auto and AWD as I will be towing a horsebox with it (1 horse + trailer = 1600kg).
These are like hen's teeth here (Ireland) as its all manuals and 2WD CX-5s.
One has come up which ticks all the boxes however it is higher mileage than I would like (68k). My own mileage is also high enough with 17K miles per year - mostly motorway commuting.
Will only tow a couple of times a month March - October, mostly on tarmac no muddy fields etc.

What should I be on the look out for when I go to see this car (from a dealer, not a main dealer however)?
The alternative is to import one from Northern Ireland - there are a few for sale there with lower mileage (40K) but I they will not take my own Kia Sorento as a trade in being from the south.
Also will work out about €4k more, this one is quite well priced I think.

Any thoughts?

Offline Gmsal

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Re: Buying: 2014 CX-5 68k miles
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:15:43 pm »
Hi,
I am in the market for a 3 year old CX-5, needs to be auto and AWD as I will be towing a horsebox with it (1 horse + trailer = 1600kg).
These are like hen's teeth here (Ireland) as its all manuals and 2WD CX-5s.
One has come up which ticks all the boxes however it is higher mileage than I would like (68k). My own mileage is also high enough with 17K miles per year - mostly motorway commuting.
Will only tow a couple of times a month March - October, mostly on tarmac no muddy fields etc.

What should I be on the look out for when I go to see this car (from a dealer, not a main dealer however)?
The alternative is to import one from Northern Ireland - there are a few for sale there with lower mileage (40K) but I they will not take my own Kia Sorento as a trade in being from the south.
Also will work out about €4k more, this one is quite well priced I think.

Any thoughts?
I'd have a look at some of the threads here.
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?board=14.0

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
I would certainly be checking the VIN number as one that old could fall into the range of those affected by an early camshaft problem. There's several threads listed above covering that topic in more detail, but apparently the affected VIN number for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE. This also assumes that Ireland models are the same as UK ones, of course.

Even if it's outside of that range, I'd be looking at an extended warranty as well with that mileage.

Alan

Offline Mazdagurl

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »
Thanks for this info - it is an April 2014 model which is the updated one from 2014 as it dosen't have the 'squiggly' auto gearbox and it is in a colour unavailable before this - deep blue mica (which is fab I think!).
It can check the VIN number - great, thanks.
It is an ex lease car hence the mileage - leased by a company to 1 person - motorway miles. Car is 100% - I went to see lesser mileage cars with loads of bumps and scrapes. Inside is immaculate. Was serviced every 10,000km by main mazda dealer.
Hopefully it is a good un as put a deposit on it already :)
There is 1 year unlimited mileage warranty with it.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
Car sounds good as high motorway mile cars often have less all round wear and tear than a low miler that's been on lots of short local runs and worked every yard of its mileage, and the bonus is its cheaper because of the miles. 

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »
We wanted an AWD Auto so went with a Sport Nav 2.2d AWD Auto 175. Took a while to find one but got a Sept 2013 car with 53k on the clock. Ours is outside the affected VIN range but does have the "squiggy" gear box. We will be putting 20k a year on it, up to 6k so far (bought in Feb) and so far hasnt missed a beat. We use it to tow a caravan which it does with ease.

I would say a manual FWD will probably tow your horse box just fine on roads, would only be a muddy field you might struggle. We wanted Auto mainly because we are lazy and AWD because SWMBO has to pull out of a car park onto a busy 60 road every day and ends up spinning up the front wheels in a FWD car. Towing the 1100kg caravan it never showed a hint of loosing traction at any point.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »