Author Topic: "Oil Change Due" close to 1st service...  (Read 22090 times)

Offline routerunner

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
"Oil Change Due" close to 1st service...
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:34:56 pm »
This morning with around 12100 miles on the clock I have the yellow wrench and the "Oil Change Due" warning and in about three weeks time I have the 1st year service booked in already. The problem is I will do another around 800 miles by then and I read somewhere that in order to keep the warranty you have to stick to the schedule and the car is nearly 10 months old.

Does anyone know how much I can stretch? Would few hundreds more miles still be OK?

Many thanks in advance
Eddy

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:27:15 pm by routerunner »
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: "Oil Change Due" close to 1st service...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:51:18 am »
I've read somewhere that 1000 miles or 1 month would be ok.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:48:11 am »
This morning with around 12100 miles on the clock I have the yellow wrench and the "Oil Change Due" warning
Eddy

Well by my reckoning, Eddy, your given mileage equates to 19,473km and as the service intervals are stipulated as being every 20,00km it could be said that you've still got just under 600km left of your allowance lol plus a few more more if Mazda aren't being exact.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline routerunner

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:00 am »
I've read somewhere that 1000 miles or 1 month would be ok.
Thank you very much for the information, that's a relief. I've sent a message to MCS as well hopefully they will reply  :)

Cheers
Eddy

Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:18:43 am »
Well by my reckoning, Eddy, your given mileage equates to 19,473km and as the service intervals are stipulated as being every 20,00km it could be said that you've still got just under 600km left of your allowance lol plus a few more more if Mazda aren't being exact.

Do you reckon I should top up the oil in the meantime? I'm very anxious about this, it's my very first Mazda ever and I absolutely love it and the thought of screwing things up, you know...

In the past I've always done my service every 10K miles and never had problems, but with this new and very sophisticate engines you always feel they need particular attention like a little baby if you see what I mean.

Cheers
Eddy

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:30 am »
Get something from your dealer in writing, eg. an email saying yes that's fine to continue to do another 1000 miles before the service. I had a similar conversation with my dealer a couple of services ago and they were fine about it.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:53 am »

Do you reckon I should top up the oil in the meantime? I'm very anxious about this, it's my very first Mazda ever and I absolutely love it and the thought of screwing things up, you know...

Todays diesel engines use very little oil so topping up doesn't usually enter into the equation. However, a word of caution if you are not already aware. The facelift models of CX5 now have a minimum, maximum in addition to an X mark on the dipstick. Normally the oil level should sit between the minimum and maximum marks as is the case with most vehicles. That said, the CX5 doesn't use Adblue;  Mazda having a completely different way of attempting to clean up what comes out of the tailpipe, and without going into a lot of detail the end result is that diesel fuel can get past the seals ending up in the sump as a result of incomplete regenerations. This of course dilutes the oil which is already of high quality BUT thin and to allow for this Mazda introduced the X mark on the dipstick as a way of indicating the maximum allowable level of oil dilution.

The long and the short of this is to be careful if considering topping up the oil that you are not misreading the dipstick and mistaking the X mark as being the full mark. The level shouldn't be anywhere near the X mark in normal conditions and if it is then the oil has been well diluted and it won't be long before a red warning light will illuminate advising you to pull up. In the event of this happening do pull up when safe, switch off and call Mazda Assist which will result in the vehicle being placed on a rescue truck. Ignore any telephone advise that it's safe to drive to a garage or that you can keep going for a while yet (this has happened in the past) as any engine damage resulting from you ignoring the red warning lamp will likely end up at your own cost.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:03:00 am by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline routerunner

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:21:23 am »
...The level shouldn't be anywhere near the X mark in normal conditions....

Thanks for the very useful information...what do you mean by normal conditions? Hot or cold engine?

Cheers
Eddy

Offline routerunner

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 09:28:02 am »
Get something from your dealer in writing, eg. an email saying yes that's fine to continue to do another 1000 miles before the service. I had a similar conversation with my dealer a couple of services ago and they were fine about it.
Very good point, I hope MCS will reply to my email today, if not I will send an email to the dealer explaining the situation and asking, as you said, to confirm in writing whether they will be OK.

BTW, this forum is fantastic, I didn't expect such an overwhelming response and in such short time  :)

Cheers
Eddy

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 11:13:22 am »
By normal conditions I think Deeps means ANY conditions. If you have oil dilution and it's getting to the X you need it sorted, it means too many unfinished regens.

I set a reminder to myself on my phone to check the oil level every 4 weeks, and unlike the old days I'm not looking for a low level to top up, I'm watching out for a rising level.

And welcome to the forum, glad it's helpful, there are people on here with good knowledge and willing to share.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:50 am »
By normal conditions I think Deeps means ANY conditions. If you have oil dilution and it's getting to the X you need it sorted, it means too many unfinished regens.

I set a reminder to myself on my phone to check the oil level every 4 weeks, and unlike the old days I'm not looking for a low level to top up, I'm watching out for a rising level.

And welcome to the forum, glad it's helpful, there are people on here with good knowledge and willing to share.

I've just got a reply from MCS and, as pointed out by Bert321, they allow 1000 miles or 1 month extra and thereafter they recommend to get back to schedule at 25000 miles/12 months whichever come first, and that covers the warranty issue i was concerned about.

Still, now is time to keep an eye on the X-factor as that can be worrying indeed. I'll setup an alarm on my phone as well after the service and will check the current status today.

Out of curiosity about the "regens" you mentioned, is that sorted out sometimes in the morning when outside temperature is above 13ºC and the engine slightly revs for 30 seconds or so?

Cheers
Eddy

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »
Out of curiosity about the "regens" you mentioned, is that sorted out sometimes in the morning when outside temperature is above 13ºC and the engine slightly revs for 30 seconds or so?

No it is most definitely not.  There are many discussions on the forum about the requirements that need to be satisfied to create a regeneration.  There are too many to quote, so I would suggest using the search facility on the HOME page and have a good read through the results.   

To other members. Can we please not dilute this topic into a discussion about regeneration, a topic that is adequately covered elsewhere.  Thanks :)

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:35 pm »
Bear in mind my car is a 2013 model, but that (annoying) 30 seconds of high revs is it's normal sort of getting-warmed-up-good-to-go procedure. Mine does that most of the time from cold. As Will says, a regen is something very different (and less frequent).

Offline Deeps

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 01:28:38 pm »

Thanks for the very useful information...what do you mean by normal conditions? Hot or cold engine?

Yes, I could possibly have explained that a little better. What I was attempting to say was that when checking the oil level i.e. by switching off and letting the oil drain back into the sump for at least 5 minutes, the level should not really be exceeding the maximum mark. Anything above this i.e. a reading between the maximum and X mark either indicates (a) that the technician overfilled during the last service or (b) that the oil in the sump is now partly diluted. Depending on mileage of course but if the car is used on a daily basis then an interval of 1 month between checking the oil level is far too long - I would personally recommend weekly checks along with tyre pressures etc.

Regens are linked to Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) cleaning but I won't add to that as Willpower is correct in that they are very many posts regarding this subject elsewhere on the forum. This one should keep you busy for a while lol. http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=383.msg2661#msg2661
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:31:00 pm by Deeps »

Offline routerunner

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:36 pm »
Yes, I could possibly have explained that a little better. What I was attempting to say was that when checking the oil level i.e. by switching off and letting the oil drain back into the sump for at least 5 minutes, the level should not really be exceeding the maximum mark. Anything above this i.e. a reading between the maximum and X mark either indicates (a) that the technician overfilled during the last service or (b) that the oil in the sump is now partly diluted. Depending on mileage of course but if the car is used on a daily basis then an interval of 1 month between checking the oil level is far too long - I would personally recommend weekly checks along with tyre pressures etc.

After about 60 miles today and about half an hour after I stopped I took a picture of the level

The level is just above the maximum, but away from the X. Do you reckon another 700 miles before the service would be OK? Do I need to drain a bit of oil? Don't really know what to do  :(

The thing is I never checked the level before, my bad, I know, I was just so excited to go to work every day because of the car and simply forgot. It's just a pleasure to drive that one think that nothing would be possibly go wrong...

Eddy

Admin note :   Please read this regarding pictures  http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=64.0    Thanks   :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:24:19 pm by Willpower »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:36 pm »