Author Topic: Traffic Sign Recognition  (Read 7374 times)

Offline aljshep

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Traffic Sign Recognition
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:43 pm »
Not much on here about this so here are a few observations:

Our first Mazda (late 2015) came with the Nav package.  Current speed limits were taken from the database map (usually, but not always, correct) and displayed on screen.  Driving 3mph over the limit turned the display red.

The latest models with HUD are different.  Cameras read the speed limit signs and display them on the HUD.  Passengers can not see these.  Important signs such as “no entry” are read but most others such as “level crossing” or “animals” are not.  If entering or driving in a limited area more than 10 mph over the limit there are three “dings”.  This can be useful when failing to notice 30 mph signs.  I am not sure if the 10 mph limit can be changed within “settings”.

There are three failings:
Many 30 mph areas are preceded by countdown signs at 0.3, 0.2 and 0.1 miles from the area.  So, driving at 41 mph one third of a mile away and preparing to slow down will get “dings” which are undeserved.  This happens a lot in central Scotland at least.

Frequently, when leaving a restricted area and continuing up to 60 mph on a two-lane road, the camera will not pick up the signs and the car will “ding” repeatedly whilst gathering speed.  This stops after a short time and I am guessing that the car is programmed to assume it has missed a sign when it is driven at 60 mph in an presumed 30 mph area.

Thirdly, the camera will pick up signs that do not apply.  Outside schools, the signs read “20 mph when lights are flashing”.  It assumes that there is always a 20 mph limit.  Around here we have a couple of 5 mph signs for lorries turning into a factory.  These are clearly visible from the road and are picked up.  Once, the camera spotted a sign on an adjacent parallel railway and assumed it was for the road.

I have noticed that the speed displayed on the HUD at 70 mph is a little above that shown on the circular dial so assume it is a true speed taken from GPS rather than the dial's speed which must never display slower than true speed.

Which system do I prefer?  I love the new HUD but slightly prefer the old system.  It did all that was necessary and had fewer failings.

HUD – Head Up Display

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Traffic Sign Recognition
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:43 pm »