Author Topic: Sat nav Settings  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Sat nav Settings
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:18:27 pm »
I just spent a couple of days in Norfolk, visiting various places and using the sat nav a lot. Despite the system's idiosyncrasies, it worked very well. The only downside was the tendancy for it to pick routes along single track roads quite a lot of time. These were literally one car width wide roads with passing places every couple of hundred yards. I had to creep up to every bend for fear of meeting something head on, coming the other way.

I really prefer not to use these roads so a few times I ignored the instruction to turn, forcing the system to find another route. That's OK but no guarantee that the next road is going to be any wider! I checked the route settings and you can unselect the "unpaved roads" option but I couldn't see anything that might force the system not to pick roads less the two cars wide!!!

Just wondered if anyone could suggest anything (other than reverting to a good old fashioned map!)

Cheers.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2014
Re: Sat nav Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »
That's not a fault with your satnav - most of Norfolk's roads are singe track ;)
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 11:13:17 pm »
I think there's another option for fastest/quickest/shortest? Shortest will tend to take more minor roads.Fastest may well take a longer route, just using quicker roads like motorways and dual carriageways. As Richard says, not a lot of those in Norfolk, though...

Alan

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:33:50 pm »
 LOL  Welcome to East Anglia    ;D ;D ;)

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
Thanks for your responses. I take your point about the the many narrow roads in Norfolk!!!  :-\  Still a lovely place to visit!

I'll have another look at the settings - maybe the "fastest" option will help, as you say Al.

Cheers.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:24 pm »
The thing is, putting the "fastest" option will probably send you on the major roads. However, there are a few things to consider.

First, there are not that many "Major" roads in this part of the country and if you do use them, then it will quite likely add a few extra miles onto your journey. The difference in these cases between "Fastest" and "Shortest" could be considerable.

And, dependant on the purpose of your journey, you will miss out on some of the beauty of a rural environment and the surprises along the way.  Not often you come across small picturesque country villages and thatched houses in London.  (Not many cows either)    :) :) ;)     

Offline Cornish CX-5

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:26:49 pm »
Just a note to add to the quickest / shortest option.  I like along a single track road in cornwall and a lot of sat navs will turn people off the main road, which is a 30mph limit, because the lanes are classed as national speed limit 60mph.  Lately there seem to be a high percentage of volvos doing this :).
I have found that taking a wider view of your route will usually show if you need to go down a lane or if it is better to stick to the main roads.

James

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
If i tow anywhere new i plan the route using google maps, and use street view to check out suspect roads.

Also use earth for recording the exact location using coordinates, use these for the nav as they are more accurate than post codes, especially in rural areas.

All the route options can be viewed in the car before selecting the one you want, sometimes i've found a waypoint is needed.
Even so the wife always has the map book handy.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »