Author Topic: New Car Discount  (Read 16066 times)

Offline Handy Andy

• What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
New Car Discount
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:46:04 am »
Hi all,

I bit of help needed here please. I am of an age where negotiating does not come easily. Any idea what kind of discount I can aim for on a new CX-5 Sport NAV+ petrol automatic cash purchase.

I am recently retired but not yet needing to take any pension so official income is nil - so any finance is out even to please the dealer. I know what you are thinking, take finance, dealer gets a cut, then I immediately pay off in full. Not going to happen as no income to support finance - even in the short term.

So it is purely a pocket full of readies.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: New Car Discount
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »
Try the What Car target price https://www.whatcar.com/make/mazda/cx-5/estate/versions where they should find you dealers willing to give the best price.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:43:15 pm »
Or Carwow. I got £2,500 off mine when I showed my dealer the lowest Carwow price printed off the internet. You have to sign up to Carwow though. It was a relatively painless process and involves official Mazda dealers and not unofficial imports or car brokers.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline WeleaseBwian

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »
In August a nearby dealer matched the Drive-the-Deal price. 2.0 Petrol Auto, Sport Nav+, Metallic paint, Safety Pack, Stone Leather. List price £31,355 paid cash £27,844. A tidy £3.5k discount. There is now an extra £500 off Mazda contribution if you take out a PCP.

There is always an offer out there somewhere if you are prepared to travel a bit. My last 3 cars I have managed to get at the D-t-D price from dealers within 50 miles.

There's no need to worry about negotiating. You're not trying to be best mates with the dealer. It's their job to fleece you for as much as they can and it's your job to pay as little as you can. Once I know a price I can get the car for from sites like D-t-D and CarWow I just go round nearby dealers and say if you can match this I'll sign on the dotted line right now. That tends to get their attention as its an easy sale with very little work for them. Some say no and you just say thank you and walk away, but eventually one will bite.

Offline NEP68

• Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 04:41:43 pm »
I looked the at What Car target price and went through Carwow for quotes, most offered around 4.9% off the list price but one offered 8.8%, I went to my local dealer to ask if they could match it but they advised not, "they'd be making a loss".  It was then that I noticed that they have the scrappage deals (new for manual diesels only) where you get 4K off the new price, trading in my old Mazda 3 on a 55 plate that I was being offered between £250-500 for depending on the type of dealer/supermarket.  I haggled with them an in addition to the scrappage got all the normal stuff, mats, boot liner, tank of fuel and Apple Car Play thrown in too.

If you do go through Carwow it's also worth signing up to Top Cashback or Quidco as they offer up to £100 back too from that, I'm not tight honest!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:44:20 pm by NEP68 »

steve101

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »
Where you get the money from to pay for the car is of no interest to the dealer, unless you are taking finance with them. They get their money before they part with the car. I would be looking at at least a 10% discount these days. I used Carwow too, just don't use your main email address. It's very easy to use and doesn't cost you anything. Remember that you are in short supply for salesmen at the moment, someone who wants to buy a new car.  Be prepared to travel to get the best price and contact as many dealers as you can. Good luck.

Offline Handy Andy

• What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:35:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks. I spoke to a dealer this morning to sound them out after asking for a "guestimate" for my trade in.
They said "we will give you X which leaves you Y to pay for the new car"
Ur hello !!!! didn't realise we had agreed the cost to change yet!
Oh and order NOW as the CX-5 goes up £500 in January.

Offline YX1109

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »
For a trade in check on your old motor, try Daily Telegraph Honest John column "value my Car"
It's free and will give you this months current trade in price.
Also when buying at discounted price make sure the dealer in question has the stock available
in the spec you want.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »