Author Topic: My personal opinion......  (Read 33291 times)

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
My personal opinion......
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:11 pm »
Just thought I will give my personal honest opinion of my new petrol CX5 after just driving over 600 miles around the Yorkshire moors area.
Overall I really like it, comfy seats though my neck was starting to ache after a long journey, though I reckon that was more me than the car and the various adjustments available.
In total I have covered 1700 miles in it now and the petrol is fine where I live (the fens where it is totally flat) but it is a bit anaemic and did struggle a bit on a few of those slopes in the moors and had to use the gears a lot, which is what I was expecting, a more powerful petrol and 4x4 would be nice! (I don't do diesel) according to the trip computer I am averaging 40.7 mpg which I am happy with.
I roughly knew the route there anyway, but the sat nav kept trying to send on weird routes through the middle of nowhere and there was a couple of small towns in Yorkshire that didn't even exist according to it!
Personally I don't really like electronic handbrakes....too much faffing, likewise the keyless entry...I cant even walk away from the car and leave it unlocked.....just my opinion but these are gadgets for the sake of it. Only other slight bugbear is the lack of auto locking when driving off, but apart from those issues, lovely to drive, comfortable and seems well built.
I know other people will think differently, but as I said this is just my own personal and honest opinion.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: My personal opinion......
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:20 pm »
the keyless entry...I cant even walk away from the car and leave it unlocked

You can switch off the 'lock when I walk away a few feet' feature using the settngs menu.

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:21:33 pm »
the keyless entry...I cant even walk away from the car and leave it unlocked

You can switch off the 'lock when I walk away a few feet' feature using the settngs menu.

Didn't realise that, thank you....teach me for not reading the manual thoroughly!

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »
You're welcome mate, 'tis what forums are all about :)

Offline shino

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:46 pm »
Ive had My Mazda CX-5 for some six months now bought new a Sports Nav (275PS). Overall its a fine car but just a few quirks! Here they are for what my opinion is worth in respect of this car..
1/ Why doesn't it lock automatically when reaching a certain speed.....all my other cars including an Old Nissan Pathfinder did
2/Why dont the mirrors fold away when parking.??
3/ Why do you have to set the coming home lights when it knows when its Dark.....seems strange?
4/Why does the engine rev a little higher when starting...Ive had other diesel cars and this has never been the case
...As I say overall a fine car just seems to me one or two strange (and to be honest annoying) quirks

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:28 am »
Welcome shino.

I assume yours is 175PS or you're going to be surprising all kinds of supercars at the traffic lights..!

A couple of answers to your questions:

2/ there's an accessory kit you can buy for something like £60-80 to make this happen, several of us on this forum have had this fitted

4/ it'll tell you in the manual somewhere but it does this sometimes to warm up from cold. It is a bit annoying and passers by give you funny looks like you're going to burn your clutch out but you do get used to it. You can either sit there and after 20 seconds the revs drop to normal, or just drive away.

Offline shino

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »
thanks will look at the suggestion when the car is serviced...... and yes its the 175PS. Like I say a fine car just the one or two little quirks I cant understand but hey! they are no big deal!

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:30 pm »
For point 1/

This feature is not available on UK models, despite in being in the UK model handbook! Europe models have it, I believe.

Alan

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:07 pm »
For point 1/

This feature is not available on UK models, despite in being in the UK model handbook! Europe models have it, I believe.

Alan

Thats disappointing... I have been skimming through the handbook in preparation for picking up my CX-5 in the next week and had read in there it could be activated in the "personalisation menu" which was definitely something i would activate if possible...

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:08:38 pm »
Looking at the potential "Post crash/collision"  situation, I'd definitely be a bit disturbed if I found the doors were locked.   Bit of a Marmite option I think.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:47 pm »
All models of cars that I am aware of, Will, utilising this feature are set to automatically unlock all doors upon a vehicle crash situation.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Watching events
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:17 pm »
All models of cars that I am aware of, Will, utilising this feature are set to automatically unlock all doors upon a vehicle crash situation.

Sorry Deeps, I understand where you are coming from, but I hold my reservations.  You are relying upon a Electro/Mechanical action, which could be interrupted by any number of circumstances incurred during the incident. I would just not trust that the automatic unlock would work.  Not being able to exit a car after an accident where there is the possibility of submergence or ignition at any moment, is enough to make this a No Go area for me.  If it were an option on my car, I would not be activating it.

As the thread title says... My personal opinion :)

Offline Deeps

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 04:53:49 pm »
And of course I respect your personal opinion, Will.  ;D Have you considered the possibility that your seat belt might not activate correctly or, if it does, that the release buckle will not jam in a crash? How about the air bags not inflating? I'm in the camp that believes the glass is half full although I have heard that there are those who believe it's always half empty.  ;D All said in light-hearted frivolity of course.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Watching events
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 05:22:50 pm »
:)   Of course.  I have a tool in my centre console which is a combined webbing cutter and glass hammer. Just in case.  :)

Something that still concerns me though and that is in the event that the doors are still locked, how do you get to the child who is secured in a childseat in the rear of the car ??   Glass half empty maybe. But are you willing to take the chance for the life of your child ??

And lastly, I maybe somewhat old fashioned, but please somebody tell me, what is the reasoning behind locking the doors whilst you are travelling ?  I just don't get it. Why ?

Offline Deeps

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:11:48 pm »
OK, Will, taking your point regarding the reasoning behind locking the doors whilst travelling first. For many, and I include my wife in this, this facility offers/adds to the feeling of overall security. Several years ago whilst returning home late at night, there was an attempt by several hooded youths to enter my wife's car whilst she was stationary at some traffic lights. Fortunately, with the doors set to automatically lock (VW Touran) upon reaching a set speed, the attempted break-in was unsuccessful and she was able to quickly accelerate away albeit quite shocked of course. This type of incident is not isolated by the way and whilst it's not repeated at each and every traffic light etc it does occur on a daily basis.

Regarding the hammer and webbing cutter - I must admit to raising an eyebrow here. In an earlier life I was a serving Fire Officer for over 23 years with a good percentage of that time spent on operational duties. One station that I served at covered a lengthy section of the M25 and M23 in addition to some very fast and heavily used 'A' roads. In short, I couldn't begin to tell you how many RTA's that I have attended - some slight of course whilst others I wouldn't care to describe on an open forum. Being able to reach a child secured in a back seat assumes of course that (a) you and/or your front seat passenger are uninjured and in a fit state to execute a rescue, (b) that the impact of the accident has not jammed either of the front doors - a frequent scenario and with the additional safety features in today's cars e.g. seat belt tensioners located in the 'B' posts and floor sills - the 'creation of space' as it is termed in the service is an art in itself.

Of course, like many things in life, we are free to make a choice and so I am not attempting to convince you or even convert you to the idea of travelling with locked doors. The choice is yours to make, Will, and whilst I am convinced that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages you might think differently.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:11:48 pm »