Author Topic: Turbo failure  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Cazza15

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Turbo failure
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:11:35 pm »
Hi

I have a 2014 cx5 turbo diesel.  Full service history, 38000 miles on the clock and until recently no issues. I was recently involved in an accident where my front off side wing was damaged. Since having it repaired ive had problems with the power and any pick up in speed the dashboard lights up..scbs,engine management warning,
 inspection, tpms, ... after 2 further trips to the garage and Mazda they found a split turbo pipe.. this was repaired and seemed to have solved the issue although as soon as I took the car on the motorway I again had a lit up dashboard and loss of top end power.with a new warning for DPF inspection.  It has now gone back and diagnosed with a small turbo failure. The Mazda garage that have inspected it now say that this is due to wear and tear and I’m looking at around a £3000 bill?
Has anyone else had turbo issues after such little mileage?
Also I’m wondering if driving with the initially undiagnosed turbo pipe could have caused the damage...
Any advice would be really appreciated, from a driver without a spare £3000

Thanks

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: Turbo failure
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 04:14:13 pm »
Hi - you have my sympathy for what it's worth. I;m no engineer but I wouldn't be expecting a £3000 turbo repair due to wear and tear at that mileage. Surely it's related to the earlier pipe failure and potentially part of that insurance claim?

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:41:49 pm »
If the camshaft hasn’t  been replaced yet then I would guess that it has started to wear and all the swarf in the oil knocks out  the turbo bearings. I would get it checked because if the camshafthas killed the turbo then it is a known fault and Mazda should pay for it assuming servicing has been done in Mazda network.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:43:43 pm by ROCKETRON »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 09:36:41 pm »
Have you checked your vin number? There are some earlier engines that had a known issue with camshafts disintegrating an causing turbo failure. See here:-
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=552.msg4062;topicseen#msg4062
If so speak to Mazda, you might get a contribution at least.

Alan

Offline Cazza15

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:00:58 pm »
If the camshaft hasn’t  been replaced yet then I would guess that it has started to wear and all the swarf in the oil knocks out  the turbo bearings. I would get it checked because if the camshafthas killed the turbo then it is a known fault and Mazda should pay for it assuming servicing has been done in Mazda network.

Thanks.. it’s had all servicing done at Mazda main dealers. I’ll look at what has and hasn’t been done and take this further

Really appreciated

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:00:58 pm »