Author Topic: Oil Leak 2.2D  (Read 11135 times)

Offline Yandards

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
Oil Leak 2.2D
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
Afternoon,

Despite only having put 220 miles on my new CX-5 2,2D when I parked it up today there was an electrical burning smell and smoke coming from the rear of the bonnet area.

I opened the bonnet to see visible smoke coming from the turbo area and a strong smell of burnt oil.  This continued for over 10 minutes despite having not thrashed the car on the previous run and completing a 100 mile round trip the previous day.

On looking around the engine bay there is a very obvious oil film over most of the plastic on the right hand side all the way up to the ABS control unit and a clear oil line on the aircon pump pulley wheel too. Made use of the old mobile phone to video the smoke as sods law it wouldn't do it when I got to the dealer!

Phoned my dealer and was asked to bring the car in, as its a Saturday the Mazda techs had already left but a Jeep tech come out, did the usual ums and ahs and then recommended it was left for the Mazda guys to look at Monday; I was given a 3 as a replacement in the interim.

Gut feeling is its been doing this since new, its just got enough on there now to generate the smoke and me looking into the engine bay area for issues, there is certainly enough oil residue evidence kicking around.

Hoping they can find it and fix it, so far the dealer has been helpful and no qualms about it being a problem.
CX-5 2.2D Sport Nav+ 2018 in Soul Red

Offline YX1109

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
Re: Oil Leak 2.2D
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:55:15 pm »
A new car with only 220 miles on the clock has bad problems going off like this. Big repair needed, at least, if that does not sort it you  maybe consider a case of rejecting the car for a full refund or a new replacement that does not do this. You paid for a good car not a possible lemon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:24:05 pm by YX1109 »

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 10:46:28 am »
Did it have any extras or work done before it was handed to you? 

One other consideration, they absolutely stink of burning oil and metal when they regenerate the DPF.  If the oily residue is the coating they put on some metal parts, it could be normal.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Yandards

• Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 03:14:10 pm »
Got the car early October, not used it much as was putting miles on the old car prior to that going back.

I would have expected any protectant/films to be burnt off the engine by now, yes the mileage is low but we did 100 miles the day prior to this (50 miles each way) and its had mostly had decent runs of 45 mins or so prior to that.

Checking the build info dates via tyres and seat belts it was built in June so would have been from UK stock when we ordered it in September to be delivered in October, no information from the dealer that it had been subject to a repair prior to being sold as new.

If you look at the image I have attached you can see the extent of the oil residue on the engine bay plastics, its most noticable above the turbo and at the rear of the engine cover with a good film all the way up to the ABS unit on that side of the car.  The smokey vapour continued for a good 10 minutes after engine off from the turbo area, I had driven for about 5 minutes at low speeds and engine loads so the turbo should have cooled by then.

Its definitely not the DPF regen cycle, I've been self maintaining cars for over 20 years and am an experienced aircraft mechanical technician, its burnt oil which is vaporising and must be under high pressure for it to leak/spray like that. 

I am concerned that the engine may end up being a bit of a lemon on a brand new car, not to mention whatever work that does get done it won't be put back exactly the way it left the factory with the best will in the World.

Keeping a log of how the dealer is handling all this so if I need to start pushing back I have it all recorded.

Edit :  Please read this  ----- http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1846.0
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:22:22 pm by Willpower »
CX-5 2.2D Sport Nav+ 2018 in Soul Red

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 04:47:13 pm »
Yes I can see what you mean. Mine was also built in June 2018 and collected October. There was a slight burning smell for approx the first 100 miles and after that just the normal regen smell. My engine bay is as clean as a whistle. In fact it attracts less dirt and dust than any car I've previously owned which must be due in some way to the grill design and sealing around the bonnet and shut lines.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »
You’ll have to upload the photo to an image hosting site.  Or you can post it on Mazda CX-5 owners club U.K. Facebook site and let me look there. If it’s leaking oil, can you see where it’s coming from?  Is there a breather pipe off or something?
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »