Author Topic: DPF Regen issues  (Read 53439 times)

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Re: DPF Regen issues
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 08:49:42 am »
Hi Anchorman
Enjoy your new motor, pity about the weather!
Regarding Adblue you might wish to look at this thread I started http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1031.0
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:20 pm »
Hi Anchorman
Regarding Adblue you might wish to look at this thread I started http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1031.0

Yes I saw it. I’ve ordered 5l but it seems the 1 litre bottles have the valve in the neck.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:04 pm »
Hi Anchorman

Yes I saw it. I’ve ordered 5l but it seems the 1 litre bottles have the valve in the neck.
Hi Anchorman. Would you mind telling me where you ordered your Adblue from? I've seen it on sale at my local Texaco filling station and I think Halfords sell it as well? No valve might be an issue causing spillage etc which is not recommended, or am I making it more complicated than it needs to be? This Adblue business is all new to me.

Offline Deano892

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 12:53:21 pm »
Hi Just went to my local Aldi and they still had AdBlue on sale see link

https://www.aldi.co.uk/adblue-6l-bottle/p/086810237569800

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 04:22:04 pm »
Hi Just went to my local Aldi and they still had AdBlue on sale see link

https://www.aldi.co.uk/adblue-6l-bottle/p/086810237569800
Thanks Deano, I'll have a look tomorrow.
Update - they had run out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:35:22 am by Jonno21 »

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:49 pm »
I’ve never bought Adblue before despite being a mechanic for years. I decided to buy a branded product so I got Redex from Eurocarparts. It was subject to the weekly deal so it was £7.14 for 5 litres.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 11:37:51 am »
I’ve never bought Adblue before despite being a mechanic for years. I decided to buy a branded product so I got Redex from Eurocarparts. It was subject to the weekly deal so it was £7.14 for 5 litres.
Thanks Anchorman, I'll carry on looking and now I've got an indication of price.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 07:26:19 pm »
Thanks Anchorman, I'll carry on looking and now I've got an indication of price.

I should have mentioned. The smaller bottles are about £15 but they have the valve in the neck you need to use it.  I’m hoping I can decant the 5 litres but I’ll let you know when it comes.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 07:50:05 pm »

I should have mentioned. The smaller bottles are about £15 but they have the valve in the neck you need to use it.  I’m hoping I can decant the 5 litres but I’ll let you know when it comes.
Thanks again. I don't know if this would do the job? What do you think? https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-additives/diesel-system-additives/?542770532&0&cc5_862

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 11:41:48 pm »
That looks better value as it definitely has the spout.  The 5 litre one I’ve ordered has “a” spout but whether it will open the valve remains to be seen.

Offline oldsteel

• If it works don't fix it
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 03:23:49 pm »
Hi
I have a 2014 model automatic and over the past 30k miles have learned pretty much how the regen works. I can confirm the istop doesn't work during an active regen so is a good indicator in the absence of a dashboard light (shame on you Mazda), I can also tell an active regen is happening when I hear the exhaust note 'burble' when slowing to a stop. When a regen is on, to avoid fuel dumping into the sump I try to keep revs at 3k (yes I know not always possible!)  as in my experience lower revs don't ensure proper regen temperature.  I do over 20k miles per year, about 80% on country roads and motorways with the remainder around town and the regen seems to kick in about every 200-300 miles, once or twice a tankful. The type of diesel seems to make little difference, and I aim to get around 39-41mpg on a clean DPF, although if cruising above 75 mph on the motorway it will drop off into the low-mid 30s. Another way to tell when a regen is happening is to reset the average mpg indicator every two tankfuls, and when you see it drop significantly (by 1-2 mpg) for no obvious reason (like going up a steep hill) then you know diesel is being siphoned off for a regen. By managing the regens this way I am achieving full service intervals between oil changes. My Mazda dealer still wont acknowledge the problem - they say the oil pressure warning light is a 'service interval indicator'  ;D ;D ;D. By the way, I also tried a DPF cleaner additive and it worked well, with average mpg going up to about 43, but it only lasted through the subsequent non-dosed tankful before it went back to normal. At £15 per dose therefore its not worth it in my opinion.
Whilst the CX5 is a great car in all other respects, its a shame I have to 'manage' the engine. My next car will be electric ....

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 10:42:32 pm »
Hi
I have a 2014 model automatic and over the past 30k miles have learned pretty much how the regen works. I can confirm the istop doesn't work during an active regen so is a good indicator in the absence of a dashboard light (shame on you Mazda), I can also tell an active regen is happening when I hear the exhaust note 'burble' when slowing to a stop. When a regen is on, to avoid fuel dumping into the sump I try to keep revs at 3k (yes I know not always possible!)  as in my experience lower revs don't ensure proper regen temperature.  I do over 20k miles per year, about 80% on country roads and motorways with the remainder around town and the regen seems to kick in about every 200-300 miles, once or twice a tankful. The type of diesel seems to make little difference, and I aim to get around 39-41mpg on a clean DPF, although if cruising above 75 mph on the motorway it will drop off into the low-mid 30s. Another way to tell when a regen is happening is to reset the average mpg indicator every two tankfuls, and when you see it drop significantly (by 1-2 mpg) for no obvious reason (like going up a steep hill) then you know diesel is being siphoned off for a regen. By managing the regens this way I am achieving full service intervals between oil changes. My Mazda dealer still wont acknowledge the problem - they say the oil pressure warning light is a 'service interval indicator'  ;D ;D ;D . By the way, I also tried a DPF cleaner additive and it worked well, with average mpg going up to about 43, but it only lasted through the subsequent non-dosed tankful before it went back to normal. At £15 per dose therefore its not worth it in my opinion.
Whilst the CX5 is a great car in all other respects, its a shame I have to 'manage' the engine. My next car will be electric ....
I'm not aware of any car manufacturer who fits a warning light to show that a regen is happening. My 2018 model CX5 averages 45mpg when monitoring via Fuelly.com and the regens are approx every 500 miles although there's no burbling sound and I can only tell when there's a sudden dip in mpg. The regen only seems to last about 5 minutes. So far at 5,000 miles the oil level on the dipstick hasn't budged from new. Incidentally, I can comfortably get to 400 miles on a tank before the low fuel warning light comes on. Looks like some improvements have been made since the 2014 model.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 09:18:27 am »
Hi
I have a 2014 model automatic and over the past 30k miles have learned pretty much how the regen works. I can confirm the istop doesn't work during an active regen so is a good indicator in the absence of a dashboard light (shame on you Mazda), I can also tell an active regen is happening when I hear the exhaust note 'burble' when slowing to a stop. When a regen is on, to avoid fuel dumping into the sump I try to keep revs at 3k (yes I know not always possible!)  as in my experience lower revs don't ensure proper regen temperature.  I do over 20k miles per year, about 80% on country roads and motorways with the remainder around town and the regen seems to kick in about every 200-300 miles, once or twice a tankful. The type of diesel seems to make little difference, and I aim to get around 39-41mpg on a clean DPF, although if cruising above 75 mph on the motorway it will drop off into the low-mid 30s. Another way to tell when a regen is happening is to reset the average mpg indicator every two tankfuls, and when you see it drop significantly (by 1-2 mpg) for no obvious reason (like going up a steep hill) then you know diesel is being siphoned off for a regen. By managing the regens this way I am achieving full service intervals between oil changes. My Mazda dealer still wont acknowledge the problem - they say the oil pressure warning light is a 'service interval indicator'  ;D ;D ;D . By the way, I also tried a DPF cleaner additive and it worked well, with average mpg going up to about 43, but it only lasted through the subsequent non-dosed tankful before it went back to normal. At £15 per dose therefore its not worth it in my opinion.
I'm not aware of any car manufacturer who fits a warning light to show that a regen is happening. My 2018 model CX5 averages 45mpg when monitoring via Fuelly.com and the regens are approx every 500 miles although there's no burbling sound and I can only tell when there's a sudden dip in mpg. The regen only seems to last about 5 minutes. So far at 5,000 miles the oil level on the dipstick hasn't budged from new. Incidentally, I can comfortably get to 400 miles on a tank before the low fuel warning light comes on. Looks like some improvements have been made since the 2014 model.

My previously owned 64 plate 175ps AWD auto initially did regens about every 250 miles.  However, not too long after I bought it, it threw an oil pressure low light, was taken to Mazda for an oil & filter change and "an update".  It then did regens every 180-200 miles.  It did the 'burble' on the over-run as described by oldsteel above, and I tried to keep the revs above 2k while it finished its regen.  They lasted about 6-7 miles on a motorway.  It returned approx 40mpg, slightly better in summer (also as per oldsteel's experience) - all calculated by litres used per miles travelled.  IIRC the computer always read about 10% high.  It ran approx 400 miles before the low fuel light came on, and took about 45 litres to fill.  I also achieved a full year (11.5k miles) between oil changes, and the oil level didn't rise.

My current 17 plate 150ps 2WD auto also does a regen every 180-200 miles.  It also does the burble, and I also keep the revs up while it does its thing.  They last the same 6-7 miles as the previous car.  This one returns about 45mpg, although the computer drastically over-reads.  If driven with a light foot for a whole tank the read-out can be as much as 57mpg, even tho it's only doing 45-47mpg.  It covers about 450 miles per tank of 45 litres before the low fuel light.  I've only had it 8 months (and covered about 7k miles) but so far the oil level hasn't risen, and I expect/hope to make it to it's scheduled service in 2 months without issue.

Jonno21 - I'm not familiar with Fuelly, but your miles covered per tank seem to exactly coincide with mine on my 64 plate.  How many litres are you adding to fill it?  I believe the tank sizes are the same 56 or 58 litres across the board.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 05:38:13 am »
I had a 2016 which got stolen.  It did a regen every 110 miles or so, made the noise, istop cut out, smelled of hot metal, diluted the fuel - the full works.  Then i had a 17, it didn’t make the noise or dilute the oil (it had modified pistons and rings) and as far as I could tell, did a regen about double the mileage of the 16.  I’ve now got a 19 (adblue model) that might be diluting slightly due to entirely new style injectors and still does the odd regen (not sure how many miles yet) and also does “fast idle due to injector cleaning” which is something new.

They don’t give warning lights (like any other manufacturer) because 99.9% of drivers don’t want to know or alter their driving.  There is no benefit in knowing and no benefit in altering driving style.  The only downside of interrupting a regen by stopping the engine is that it will start another as soon as it gets to temperature so the process is drawn out - not a problem for most drivers.  I certainly won’t pretend I’m doing any good by keeping the revs high or avoiding turning it off part way through.  Stop worrying about it, it’s spoiling your experience with the car.

Offline oldsteel

• If it works don't fix it
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 03:09:34 pm »
I had a 2016 which got stolen.  It did a regen every 110 miles or so, made the noise, istop cut out, smelled of hot metal, diluted the fuel - the full works.  Then i had a 17, it didn’t make the noise or dilute the oil (it had modified pistons and rings) and as far as I could tell, did a regen about double the mileage of the 16.  I’ve now got a 19 (adblue model) that might be diluting slightly due to entirely new style injectors and still does the odd regen (not sure how many miles yet) and also does “fast idle due to injector cleaning” which is something new.

They don’t give warning lights (like any other manufacturer) because 99.9% of drivers don’t want to know or alter their driving.  There is no benefit in knowing and no benefit in altering driving style.  The only downside of interrupting a regen by stopping the engine is that it will start another as soon as it gets to temperature so the process is drawn out - not a problem for most drivers.  I certainly won’t pretend I’m doing any good by keeping the revs high or avoiding turning it off part way through.  Stop worrying about it, it’s spoiling your experience with the car.

The only reason I got concerned about this was two separate 'red light' message events at a cost of £150 a pop at the dealer for an oil change, plus the inconvenience. Until then I was blissfully ignorant, but it prompted me to read up on the process in this forum and I now 'manage' it by increasing revs when I notice a regen, and so far its been successful in that I have reached two service intervals with no intervening red light. My theory is that if you drive the auto with a light right foot, the revs rarely go above 1500 around town, not creating enough heat for the regen to work - resulting in oil dilution. I confirm under normal circumstances regens are every 180-200 miles. I would expect Mazda to have improved the whole process with the later engines, so pleased to note that few if any report similar issues in 2017 or later models. But my next car will still be electric ....

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 03:09:34 pm »