Author Topic: Turbo camshaft issue  (Read 24876 times)

Offline KarenDill

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Turbo camshaft issue
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:12:43 am »
Hi, we have a mazda cx5 from new, 58,000 miles 2.2 diesel. 3 years 4 months old so just out of warranty.
2 weeks ago,  1 mile into journey on a cold morning, the car lost compression and could not restart.
Mazda dealer charged £1000 labour so far and come up with the following
Carbon deposits in engine that they are blaming on local (non mazda) garage using synthetic rather than semi-synthetic oil. Only 5w30 specified in the handbook. They suggest another £2000 to clean.
They say EGR needs checking and as engine not starting needs further stripping down of engine at £130 per hour.
Finally they say there is a problem with turbo camshaft. This seems to be a known issue reading on this forum. A fact mazda have failed to mention when they offered 0% contribution to fixing the car

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Turbo camshaft issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:43:07 am »
What do you mean by car lost compression? also what is a "turbo camshaft" as there isn't one as far as i know. There are quite a few instances of the camshaft failure causing lots of swarf to run around the engine and then give you  a warning of contaminated oil. I dont know of any faults that stop the engine starting or running though. The problem is if its been serviced outside the mazda dealer then they will feel that they dont owe you any goodwill if its now not under warranty.
It sounds to me that they dont know whats wrong as £2000 for some sort of cleaning is a total non-sense and sounds like something meant to scare you and you take it away and what have they done already to charge £1000 for. Carbon deposits would have to be huge to block up all the ports to stop it starting. I feel that you need somebody else to look at it and see why it isnt starting and take it from there.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:20:59 am »
Sounds to me like they may be "BS"ing you (is it a Mazda main dealer?) and would ask for a second opinion if possible. I'd definately be taking this to Mazda UK and make a huge fuss. Posting on their Facebook page is known to get a quick result usually. https://www.facebook.com/MazdaUK/?fref=ts

The known camshaft issue (which I had) affected some early 2.2d engines. It was improperly hardened cams which shed fine particles of cam material into the oil. That can then lead to other problems. In my case, the particles got into the very fine oil-ways in the turbo and cause the turbo bearings to fail. That problem manifested as a drastic loss of power (is that what you mean by lost compression?) when accelerating down a motorway slip road, a lot of warning lights, etc. It then continued to run, but it didn't feel "right", and there was a faint whistling/whining noise under load which came from the turbo. As far as I know, this is a known problem, but not a recall, so it only gets dealt with IF the problem occurs, not IN CASE it occurs.

I think someone may have posted the relevant engine serial numbers here, but can't find them at the moment.

Alan

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »
I think someone may have posted the relevant engine serial numbers here, but can't find them at the moment.

This is the only information I can find relating to VIN numbers
The affected VIN number for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:57:53 pm »
Thanks, I was lsearching for engine numbers rather than vehicle VIN's which explains why I couldn't find it!

Offline KarenDill

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:37 pm »
Thanks all and apologies for my misuse of terminology. Yes our vin number is in that range. Car is at a mazda dealer who say the engine has carbon deposits as well as the camshaft issue. Do you think this could be the shedding of camshaft - seems unlikely that there would be 2 unrelated problems... Mazda UK have told us that they will not help at all with costs. When driving the car lost power, restarted once, lost power again straight away and made whirring sound. The garage said it had no compression?? 

Offline KarenDill

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:16:59 am »
Sounds to me like they may be "BS"ing you (is it a Mazda main dealer?) and would ask for a second opinion if possible. I'd definately be taking this to Mazda UK and make a huge fuss. Posting on their Facebook page is known to get a quick result usually. https://www.facebook.com/MazdaUK/?fref=ts

The known camshaft issue (which I had) affected some early 2.2d engines. It was improperly hardened cams which shed fine particles of cam material into the oil. That can then lead to other problems. In my case, the particles got into the very fine oil-ways in the turbo and cause the turbo bearings to fail. That problem manifested as a drastic loss of power (is that what you mean by lost compression?) when accelerating down a motorway slip road, a lot of warning lights, etc. It then continued to run, but it didn't feel "right", and there was a faint whistling/whining noise under load which came from the turbo. As far as I know, this is a known problem, but not a recall, so it only gets dealt with IF the problem occurs, not IN CASE it occurs.

Alan

Thanks for your help Alan. I have registered a Vehicle Safety Defect Report with the DVSA as I feel it should be a recall. We had no warning lights until it happened and there was a sudden and complete loss of power. If this had happened at speed on the motorway then it would have been very dangerous. It would cost Mazda a lot to recall as it seems to involve a lot of stripping down of the engine even to check the problem. As this issue seems to be occurring out of warranty it shifts the cost from Mazda to the customer quite conveniently.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »
Personally, I think you have a good case. As I said, try embarrassing them on social media. Contact the auto magazines - I did that with a tyre issue back in 2013 with some success. Be persistent, and good luck.

Alan

Offline KarenDill

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:47:21 pm »
Personally, I think you have a good case. As I said, try embarrassing them on social media. Contact the auto magazines - I did that with a tyre issue back in 2013 with some success. Be persistent, and good luck.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I hope so. I have contacted BBC Watchdog but great idea to also contact the auto magazines. I am publicising our situation on social media as much as possible. Even asked the Mazda dealer where our car is to give us a price for them to buy the car from us. The car was worth about £12,000 2 weeks ago and I was expecting a low offer - but they said it is not a car they are interested in purchasing at any price!

Offline JaggerCX-5

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 01:05:46 pm »

This is the only information I can find relating to VIN numbers
The affected VIN number for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE.

Willpower, do you have more info on the affected VIN numbers? I have a similar turbo issue and my VIN starts with JMZKE then F followed by 11 digits - are the six digits you gave the final digits in the sequence?  Alos, where did you source this info on affetced VIN numbers?

Thanks,

Jagger

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 10:12:19 pm »
As far as I am aware the problems discussed regarding Turbo failure, caused as a result of worn soft Cam ends, was only applicable to 2012 & 2013 2.2Ltr models.

I have no other information relating to this issue apart from the prestated vin numbers affected by this. I believe the data originally came from the Honest John site. 
See here   https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/2012/good/     Scroll down to the paragraph headed  23-01-2018:

According to your profile, you own a 2019 model. I would think it would be unlikely to be affected by the same causes.
It was a known problem around 2017/18  but was never a subject of a recall.

I suggest a talk with your local dealership might throw a little more light on the problem for you.
I am sorry that I am unable to assist you any further.   

Edit :  I see that after I wrote this, you have changed your model year to  2016 in your profile.  However I still consider my advice to be your best option as I believe Mazda rectified the issue with the early 2014 models. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:44:22 pm by Willpower »

Offline JaggerCX-5

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 01:43:06 pm »
Thanks Willpower. Indeed, I had stuffed up my profile. Mine is a 2016 2.2d with 60k and full (but not all Mazda dealer) serice history.

Local Mazda dealer says turbo is knacked and want £2.5k to replace. Have emailed Mazda UK with a complaint and suggestion of goodwill but not holding my breath.

Cheers,

Jagger

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 01:43:06 pm »