Author Topic: Alternator belt deterioration  (Read 11050 times)

Offline One-n-den

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Alternator belt deterioration
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:36 am »
Hi, My CX5 has done 21,700 miles and was recalled for an engine management software update. While at the dealer’s, they ‘took the opportunity’ to do a health check and informed me that the alternator drive belt was cracking. They recommended replacement at a cost of £99.
I was told that this wouldn’t be a warranty item ( the car is well within warranty).
I rang Mazda, expressing my dissatisfaction that this potentially 100,000 mile item was failing at 21,000 miles. They have asked the dealer to raise it with them as a warranty query and I am still waiting to hear the outcome.
As the belt is not really subject to ‘driving style’ as brakes and clutches etc might be, I don’t think the ‘wear and tear’ argument applies - if the engine’s running, so is the belt!
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Alternator belt deterioration
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:23:22 am »
Not exactly, but I did once have the cam belt snap on a Renault Laguna on a motorway a long way from home. Destroyed the top end. At the time it happened, it was about 3k miles short of the 75k service, where it was a scheduled replacement. Renault stuck 2 fingers up to that one, but fortunately it was a lease vehicle so the lease company picked up the tab.

Alan

Offline One-n-den

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:15:27 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Alan. Things have moved on a bit - I rang the dealership and the guy now says that Mazda want photos of the belt (why, if it’s not a warrant item, I wonder....?). I can’t see a mark on it, but interestingly he also said that they’d had a ‘bulletin’ about checking the belts very carefully - and on the bottom of the bulletin it was re-stated that this isn’t a warranty item.
Going for my photo shoot on Monday - we’ll see!

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 04:28:25 pm »
Hi, My CX5 has done 21,700 miles

The belt not being covered by warranty (including extended warranty) is absolutely correct as it's considered a wear and tear item. The question is though, is it a reasonable expectation that the belt should require renewing (or fail) at such a low mileage. In my view the answer would be of course not as obviously the original belt was not fit for purpose. However, I would highly recommend that you obtain a more qualified i.e. legal opinion in order to take this issue further with Mazda.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:47:39 pm »
It’s ridiculous. Of course the belt should last longer.  They should replace it without question- providing the dealer isn’t just touting for work.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:29 pm »
Strange ?, the belt is usually a Mutli Vee serpentine belt about an inch across, nowadays they have a self tensioner which keeps it in check, unless the tensioner has tightened up which I very much doubt then the belt should last for years.
I suspect the 'GARAGE OF TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE'.
Have it checked by another agent before replacement

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »
There is a brilliant video on YouTube about how dealers make money from service work which is not needed. The amount of work claimed was crazy.
I also remember many years ago a colleague was told he needed a new gearbox under warranty. He was suspicious and marked some bolts.
They were untouched and he reported this to Ford. When they checked they found they had paid out for a number of jobs where they had never supplied the required parts. Dealer lost their franchise.

Strange ?, the belt is usually a Mutli Vee serpentine belt about an inch across, nowadays they have a self tensioner which keeps it in check, unless the tensioner has tightened up which I very much doubt then the belt should last for years.
I suspect the 'GARAGE OF TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE'.
Have it checked by another agent before replacement

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »