Author Topic: Mazda removing touch screen from new cars  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Mazda removing touch screen from new cars
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:08 am »
See
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1148040/Mazda-3-touchscreen-display-new-cars-distraction
 :(
They've already disabled when you're driving, and I think that's right balance.
I find it far easier to enter text via touch screen than using the "control" button
near gear stick on satnav.
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Mazda removing touch screen from new cars
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »
I'm in agreement with the current way, but wouldn't have a problem with just using the dial only rather than the touchscreen. I hadn't really thought about this until I took an XC40 for a test drive. That has almost EVERYTHING on the touchscreen. It's a big screen, true, but still awkward to operate and takes too much time to look at (and is hard to see in sunlight). Also, there's a limitation for these in RH drive cars - approximately 88-90% of people are right handed which means most will have to use the non-dominant hand to operate the screen. For LH drive cars, it makes a lot more sense.

Alan

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:03:35 am »
I'm in agreement with the current way, but wouldn't have a problem with just using the dial only rather than the touchscreen. I hadn't really thought about this until I took an XC40 for a test drive. That has almost EVERYTHING on the touchscreen. It's a big screen, true, but still awkward to operate and takes too much time to look at (and is hard to see in sunlight). Also, there's a limitation for these in RH drive cars - approximately 88-90% of people are right handed which means most will have to use the non-dominant hand to operate the screen. For LH drive cars, it makes a lot more sense.

Alan
Some good points there Alan, especially about sunlight and the non dominant hand.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:03:35 am »