Author Topic: DAB Radio upgrade/replacement  (Read 26505 times)

Offline dg70

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
DAB Radio upgrade/replacement
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »
Hi,

I have a 2014 CX 5 and I'm thinking of adding digital radio to my car and was wondering if anyone has a DAB adaptor and what sort is the best to go for?

I've also been looking at ditching the mazda infotainment system altogether and getting an all singing all dancing aftermarket system. Problem is I can find parts and adaptors to convert the CX 5's facia and set up to accept one on the internet, but they seem to be mainly in America. There doesn't seem to be a market for that kind of thing in the UK and I'd prefer to get someone fit it for me rather than try myself. Has anyone got an aftermarket system in their CX 5 and was it worth the hassle of replacing the factory one?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Brianh

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: DAB Radio upgrade/replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:34:14 am »
Hi Dg70
I've just bought a 2013 cx5. Like yours it was without digital radio, which I couldn't live without.
After looking at the options I decided not to ditch the whole system and plumped for a bolt on. I chose the autodab go. My local supplier, bromley car audio, fitted it on Saturday.
It is wired into the ignition and plugs into the aux socket. It can also tune into the fm radio, but sound quality is better via aux, and you get constant interference from local and dodgy radio stations with fm.
The controller is in the little storage bin in front of the gear lever and I changed the display colour to white - it matches the clocks etc
All in all it looks good and sounds good - almost like it should be there, and it doesn't get in the way of the cigarette lighter socket
Hope that helps if you haven't already got yourself sorted

Offline dg70

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:55 am »
Hi Brainh

Thanks for that. I actually went for something similar in the end and got a DABmotion add on. There's no display on the remote control but it feeds directly onto the main display which is quite handy. Got it fitted by Matrix in Cheadle and apart from understandably losing reception in remoter parts of Wales, have had no issues with it at all.

Dg70

Offline ab46

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »
Hi, Just seen the latest 'Zoom Zoom' and Mazda have a retrofit DAB adaptor for the CX-5 pre-facelift.

Will get one fitted and report back.

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:01:26 pm »
Anybody got any reports abut the Mazda DAB upgrade?
I am thinking about it but would be interested in anyone else's experience.
I fitted a cheap Philips unit in my old car which works quite well. If it loses the DAB signal it will fall back to FM rather than make a lot of noise.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:56:03 am »
I've never understood this attraction for DAB.

I use mine but it doesn't do anything that the FM radio did? I also bought a cheap DAB for the garage, apart from listening to Magic its usually on the FM for radio Humberside.

DAB portables also use more power than a FM, which probably explains why Mazda only fitted a FM in the Mk1
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:51:54 am »
I've had one CX5 without DAB and one with. Now, I don't use the radio a lot in the car (mostly Spotify or the Aha app); when I do, I find that the DAB is better quality as you would expect. However, as I drive all over the country, it does keep jumping between transmitters. That results in a strange deja-vu sensation as it invariably jumps back a second or two in the process (a bit like switching between digital and analogue TV). You do also get areas where there is no DAB coverage at all.

Alan.

Offline Robbieuk85

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:29 am »
Has anyone found a good DAB attachment or add on yet? I listen to talksport a lot in the car and AM is not good enough in terms of quality and signal.

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:45:24 pm »
I have had the DAB add-on fitted last week. I was disappointed when I realised a few minutes from the dealers that it was not working.
I don't know where the unit is fitted, but it connects to the existing audio by a USB cable in the centre box. Problem is the plug is so long the inner tray wont fit over it. No problem unless you also have a large charger plugged into the power socket.
Works fine if the plug is in. Select USB and it comes up as an MP3 player. select songs and your list of programmes comes up.
Sound quality is good, but you just get a lady telling you there is no signal when signal fails.
My old car has a £50 DAB radio from Halfords which switches to FM for traffic and if DAB is weak.
I am now abroad, so will report any more comments later.

UPDATE - system continues to be hit and miss in its availability. I am told that Mazda have had so many problems with this add-on in the CX5 it is no longer offered.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:44:22 pm by MikeTB »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:45:24 pm »