Author Topic: CX-5 = big disapointment  (Read 20575 times)

Offline Jackerello

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
CX-5 = big disapointment
« on: December 12, 2016, 06:58:35 pm »
I know there's a lot of love on this site for the CX-5 but mine is proving a big disappointment
Got a 13 plate Sport nav 2.2 D, had it 3 months, after having a BMW 330 D Msport Touring for 7 years. Thought I needed an SUV as the kids are getting bigger. Read a few reviews that were quite positive for the Mazda, and the Sport Nav ticked the boxes for Spec and looked really nice. I just wish I'd road tested it abit more thoroughly.   Main issues are
The Jittery ride on its 19 inch wheels
Engine seriously sluggish ( Mazda say it's normal)
Electric drivers seat adjustment has no memory function (I'm 6ft 3, wife is 5ft 1)
Wind noise above 60 mph

Prepared to take a hit and trade it in. Going to get an Audi. Won't be making the Mazda Mistake again

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
Re: CX-5 = big disapointment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:53:32 pm »
Mmm interesting post, Jackerello, looks like you should have gone for a X3 or 5,  especially coming from a 330, which my brother has and a 435 gran coupe,  must say don't agree with jittery ride but you could change to 17 inch wheels,  have you been out on your own and put the car through its paces?

your second point I think is the difference between 3 and 2.2 litres. You could have it remapped?

Yeah seat adjustment always seems to be a pain between spouses, our 2016 have memory but I don't bother using it. But I can see that is a valid point for you.

There is a few posts on here over wind noise and my take on this is the road surface, weather conditions  ie wind speed and direction, what volume level the stereo is on if at all effects how much we notice wind noise, on a new section of M1 motorway in south Yorkshire makes a vast difference to noise.greatly reduced.

Good luck with your next purchase
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Jackerello

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »
Hi,   Did actually look into an X3. Would really have liked a 2nd generation 3.0 D but they obviously expensive compared to the Mazda which is better spec'd and you get much more for your money.
Regarding A Re map, I did actually fit one from TDI tuning, which has 7 settings, the highest one apparently giving it 180 brake. It certainly improved the power on a high speed road but actually made the low speed hesitation worse. TDI had it back and rejigged it for me but it's definetly an issue with the car and not the map. As I said, Mazda had a look at it and said its ' normal' and only wanted to flog me a wiper blade from the 'free health check ' they did for me. I've tried running it on Premium diesel and additives etc but to no avail, also replaced the fuel filter
If the jittery ride was the only issue i would probably look to get some 17" rims and give it a go

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:32:42 pm »
Well good on yer for trying to make things better I would be interested to see what you go for next, how many miles a year do you do?
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:16 am »
I just wish I'd road tested it abit more thoroughly.   

I think you summed it up quite nicely with that statement alone for if you had then all the points mentioned would have become glaringly obvious especially the lack of memory function for the seat adjustment. 

I have experienced zero sluggishness with my 2.2 Auto motor and no jittery ride although I'm on 17" rubber. I would agree with you as concerns the wind noise but that said it's not any worse than other vehicles in this price category.

Good luck in finding a replacement and comparable vehicle that isn't going to cost you considerably more.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:05:04 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
I echo what Deeps said. If you have a 14" height difference between regular drivers I suggest you a list of must-haves and put seat memory on it...for what it's worth the 175ps definitely isn't sluggish (it's no sports car) but for a 2.2D for the size of car it's pretty good.

Offline ColinX-5

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 03:38:43 pm »
It must be a double echo I agree with both of you .

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »
I have not heard of many people saying the cx5 diesel is sluggish in fact most comment on how good the diesel performance is especially the 175 but also the 150 due to the high torque. Perhaps the OP has a fault with his engine or has unreasonable expectations but not many suv's or 4x4 are nippier than the Mazda. My son has an Evoque and that's not as lively as the Mazda. Perhaps you should get the car checked over by somebody who knows what they should be like, but you should not expect it to be as quick as a Bmw 3 litre in a more streamlined body, although it would be a good match for a 2litre Bmw.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 05:59:22 pm »
Given that the 330D M Sport is 254 HP (175), 413 lbft torque (210), with a 5.6 sec 0-60 (8.8) and is limited to 155mph, it's not really a fair comparison, is it? (CX5 2.2D 175 figures in brackets.) There isn't a better SUV in the price bracket as far as engine performance goes.

Alan

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 09:27:11 pm »
I think the cx5 torque is higher than that, probably nearer 310lb/ft. Still I agree that a 3 litre Bmw would spoil you for most cars and is not a fair comparison.

Offline Jackerello

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:35:38 pm »
Well guys I've bitten the bullet and traded it in. Took a bit of a hit in the wallet dept.
I really wasn't intending to compare the CX5 with a 330 D, as they are chalk and cheese.  My mistake was thinking I needed an SUV and not thoroughly road testing it first.  The CX5 was crammed with kit and on paper was the perfect car, but coming from a 330D I realised it wasn't even close
I've bought an Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro.  The remap I bought for my CX5 is having the software re written so once put on the Audi should be close to 300 BHP
Cheers guys

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 02:56:35 pm »
I hope you don't boring cars then. I'm sure the Audi will do a decent job for what you want but find all of their newer cars sooooo very boring. Last good car they made was the Mk1 TT (which i have as my second car) and it was the last car they actually put any kind of "soul" into. The rest since then has just been a depressing range of cars that are boring to drive and boring to look at.

I am very surprised you came out of a BMW, into a Mazda and criticised the ride comfort. BMW's as a general rule have a very hard punishing ride, especially on run flat tyres. Feels like they are going to break your spine at every pot hole :) I am waiting to pick up my CX-5, however the couple of test drives i have done in them i found the ride a very good compromise between decent comfort and decent road handling which not a lot of SUVs can pull off... All the ones i have driven so far have been Sports with 19" wheels

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 02:56:35 pm »