Author Topic: Fitting a dash cam  (Read 9021 times)

Offline giskard

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
Fitting a dash cam
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:12:52 pm »
Dunno if this is the correct forum for this type of question, but I’m going to have the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto retrofit done to my CX-5 by the dealer I bought it from and at the same time, get a Nextbase dashcam fitted and hardwiredinto the fusebox, but am wondering where on the windscreen the dashcam can be positioned considering the amount of the mottled black wotsit near the top edge of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror.

Has anyone here fitted a dashcam on a 2018 CX-5 and if so, where exactly, given that legally the dashcam cannot obstruct the drivers view?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Fitting a dash cam
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:16:41 am »
Theres a position to the left of the camera housing/mirror mounting that is below the black dots and within the sweep of the wipers. I've used that for my Blackvue 650 on my 2018 (which has a cylindrical body) I fitted one of the same shape in the same location on a Mazda 2 recently. When positioning, just check you have clearance to unplug cables and remove memory card if they are on the right side of the camera body.

Alan

Offline giskard

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 12:23:40 pm »
Theres a position to the left of the camera housing/mirror mounting that is below the black dots and within the sweep of the wipers. I've used that for my Blackvue 650 on my 2018 (which has a cylindrical body) I fitted one of the same shape in the same location on a Mazda 2 recently. When positioning, just check you have clearance to unplug cables and remove memory card if they are on the right side of the camera body.

Alan
Thanks. The NextBase 422 I’m looking at has a magnetic mount to which the hardwiring is connected, so removing the camera itself is a doddle. I’ll check my car for that position to the left of the camera/mirror

Offline BigAl

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:59:57 pm »
One other thing - I've noticed with mine that having it central (or just off central) on the windscreen results in a reflection of the dash grill being recorded in strong sunlight. A polarising filter should stop that (unfortunately, they don't make one for Blackvue cameras).

Alan

Offline giskard

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 11:32:19 pm »
One other thing - I've noticed with mine that having it central (or just off central) on the windscreen results in a reflection of the dash grill being recorded in strong sunlight. A polarising filter should stop that (unfortunately, they don't make one for Blackvue cameras).

Alan
Thanks for the useful info.

Does it affect the image quality to the extent that you can’t see certain details?  The NextBase 522 has a polarising filter but apparently it makes the image a little darker.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:15:59 am »
Heres a video taken with the Blackvue when mounted centrally (on my previous CX5). The reflection is pretty bad due to sun angle. However, it's less noticable now with the camera offset to the left.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hCBAiBBV5Kw6FZxEtugHzGl39tfkLPNj/view?usp=sharing

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:15:59 am »