Author Topic: Climate control stuck on cold on driver's side  (Read 13921 times)

Offline doctortom2001

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Climate control stuck on cold on driver's side
« on: June 26, 2020, 10:58:05 pm »
Hi,

I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a 2013 2.2D.

The driver's side AC only blows cold. Passenger side works perfectly. I have inspected the air mix actuator on the driver's side and it appears to be working fine, with the arm moving appropriately according to the temp control on the dash.

Of note, the temperature swings from good icy cold air when the temperature selection is low, to ambient air temperature when the temp selection is high. But never more than this. I confirmed this was also true when manually moving the air mix valve. So it sounds like there is a problem with hot air arriving from the heater.

Coolant level, AC gas levels and fuses are fine. There are no DTCs.

I know its hot outside and I should be happy, but I want to get it sorted before the winter (hopefully without a trip to the dealership)!

Could it be a faulty thermostat or valve closer to the heater? Any insights or easy fixes for a lay person would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
Re: Climate control stuck on cold on driver's side
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:43:00 pm »
I had the same issue with my 2014, where the passenger side would produce warm/hot air but nothing on the driver's side. I had to flush the heater matrix with citric acid, which two years later is still working well and can produce hot air from both sides (though maybe very slightly less warm on the driver's side).

There more information in this thread:
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=87.0
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline doctortom2001

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:28:43 pm »
Thanks for that.

I'll ask the dealer to take a look.

Much appreciated.

Offline jonbiz

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 10:44:58 pm »
I am having this I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a 2013 2.2D.

The driver's side AC only blows cold. Passenger side works perfectly. I have inspected the air mix actuator on the driver's side and it appears to be working fine, with the arm moving appropriately according to the temp control on the dash.

Of note, the temperature swings from good icy cold air when the temperature selection is low, to ambient air temperature when the temp selection is high. But never more than this. I confirmed this was also true when manually moving the air mix valve. So it sounds like there is a problem with hot air arriving from the heater.

Coolant level, AC gas levels and fuses are fine. There are no DTCs.

I know its hot outside and I should be happy, but I want to get it sorted before the winter (hopefully without a trip to the dealership)!

Could it be a faulty thermostat or valve closer to the heater? Any insights or easy fixes for a lay person would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much. issue on my Mazda CX-5 2015, I have taken it to dealer and they did a flush which improved slightly but I have to turn my driver side heater controls to highest to get it slightly warm. They dealer said changing the heater metrix will cost me 16 hundred plus parts as it’s 8 hrs job as my car is out of warranty. I told them this must be a design flaw from Mazda as it happening a lot on Cx5s but no help from them, they insisted my car was out of warranty so cannot help.  Any advice on the right way to go about this or the full instructions on how to flush the heater core so I can give it a go once more and see if it will work. Thanks in advance

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 11:13:25 am »
I have removed your duplicate post as it was identical to the last paragraph of the one above.

Also if you would like advice on this matter it would help if you could verify exactly what year CX-5 you own.  There could be considerable differences in the ventilation system dependant on the year of manufacture.

Your first sentence above says  2013  2.2D   :    In the last paragraph of the above post, you state  CX-5  2015   :  In your profile you state  2.2L  2019

Could you please offer the correct information in order to help other members identify the year and suggest solutions.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 11:13:25 am »