Author Topic: CX5 Windscreen on fire  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Zoomzoomcx5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
CX5 Windscreen on fire
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:02:20 pm »
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience of a serious issue with the car.

I have a 2019 CX5 2L petrol Sport Nav+ auto.

I was driving fairly slowly along the road when I noticed smoke coming from the left hand lower windscreen area. I stopped the car immediately. I then noticed the windscreen had a large crack emanating from the heated wiper area up the windscreen. See photo. https://ibb.co/wCfVMdq

It looked like the heated wiper area had shorted, overheated and caused a hotspot on the glass, resulting in thermal expanson and cracking. It also melted the rubber in the wiper blade.

I took the car into my local Mazda dealership who examined it and determined that the crack was caused by "external influence" and thus was not covered by warranty. I then made a claim on my insurance. It turns out due to all the ADAS technology in the car that a new windscreen costs £1050 and requires the electronics to be recalibrated after new windscreen is fitted.

I believe the issue was caused as a result of a small clump of leaf debris adhering to the heated wiper area over the element. When the demister circuit was activated the element heated up and caused the debris to combust causing a hotspot which then caused the glass to crack.

This possibility is not documented in the vehicle manual. I would strongly recommend that everyone check the heated wiper area is clean and free from any debris before activating the heated demister button!

I am very unimpressed with Mazda who have washed their hands of any responsibility.

They did advise me the wiring harness attached to the wiper heating element needs to be inspected. This can only be done when the windscreen is off the vehicle.

As a result I have had to arrange the windscreen fitter to attend the mazda dealership to take off the windscreen so the Mazda engineer can inspect the wiring prior to fitting the new windscreen. This has been a nightmare to organise with the ongoing covid situation.

Everyone be aware of this issue over the winter months!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:17:09 pm by Zoomzoomcx5 »

Offline Zoomzoomcx5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: CX5 Windscreen on fire
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
Follow up.

National Windscreens attended the mazda dealership and replaced the windscreen and recalibrated it. Fortunately my insurance paid for the whole thing.

Although this must be a rare event it seems evident to me that the heated wiper glass can get hot enough to cause dry debris to combust. So check this area is clean before using your demister.

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
Heated w/screen wipers.??

Haven't got on mine/similar model; heated w/screen yes, plus heated steering wheel/heated seats.
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:29:17 pm »
Wow, thats a new one,  i hope you get it sorted asap. And thanks for posting. I certainly will be checking mine, on the note of leaves,  my vauxhall omega had a flooded passenger floor due to leaves blocking windscreen drain, it filled up and back filled into car!!.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:29:17 pm »