Author Topic: Seriously considering a CX5  (Read 15870 times)

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Seriously considering a CX5
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:41:31 pm »
Hi, as per the header I am seriously considering a new CX5 petrol sport nav, just wondering whether anyone has any pointers regarding the petrol engine (I don't do diesel) is it powerful enough, does it still feel quite nippy? shame they don't do a 4w drive version but as usual these days everything is biased towards diesel variants in most vehicles. Does it feel nice and roomy inside, is the media/ nav system good?.
Ideally it would be lovely if could have my current engine in the CX5 body!

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Year: 2015
Re: Seriously considering a CX5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:02 pm »
Did you eventually get one ? I've probably read and watched every review on the CX5 as well as considering the Quashqai, CRV, HRV, Q3, CX3, Mercedes B Class and so on. I'd narrowed it down to the forthcoming HRV and the CX5, but the delays on launch and the comparative smaller boot and passenger space pushed me to the Mazda.

In short, I've just ordered a new 2 litre petrol Sport Nav in Soul Metallic red, which arrives mid September.  Like you I'm a petrol fan, given the lower miles I drive, the DPF issues, toxic gasses and forthcoming higher diesel levies in major cities. The problem I found is that the petrol versions are so rare... only 4 available in a 150 mile radius from me to test drive. I've added the spare wheel, door and boot film protectors, 3 year servicing and the Auto Glym package (50% off).

Two issues have been concerning me - should I order the auto folding mirrors  and do the 19 inch alloys really make the ride too firm? I've had an Audi A5 S line on 19s  which was firm to say the least. Is it worth ordering 17s instead or has the facelift improved this issue?

Other than this, I'm sure I've chosen well. Great local dealer too, which helps...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:19:23 pm by Caldean »

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
Definitely get the auto folding mirror kit. 19" wheels are firm but personally I prefer a car with a fairly firm set up. Haven't driven a 17" CX5 to compare but my car is firmer than my previous CRV which I think was 17".

Offline Caldean

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:51 pm »
Thanks Twabrigs. The wife is concerned with the smart key and leaving the car unlocked so the folded mirrors will help as a final check. I'm sure the 19s will be fine. I'm used to the firm set up on previous cars, especially my Gti which has active chassis control.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:27:11 pm by Caldean »

Offline Hippogriff

• Colour: Machine Gray
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 03:36:13 pm »
Definitely get the mirror tweak. It would be a nonsense not to... just like it is a nonsense it's not a factory fit option, or standard.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Caldean

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:05:57 pm »
Now ordered and promised to myself not to look at any more options  :)

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:43:55 am »
Hi, also been considering a Octavia VRS estate, BMW 340i Touring, and the forthcoming Hyundai Tucsan.......but still leaning towards the CX5, but it really annoys me that 4wd isn't available on the petrol as per usual....never had a diesel and never will...im not a sheep, refuse to be dictated to by car manufacturers infatuation with diesels, local dealer hasn't been forthcoming regarding a test drive either!
Regarding the other cars, the VRS is a possibility, for a £40k car the BMW still needs thousands spent on options to bring it up to the equipment levels of the CX5, as for the Tucsan, it seems nice but very overpriced for a 1.6 at close to £30k.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:19 am »
VRS probably a decent buy. I wouldn't rule out the diesel CX5 on principle without test driving it...surely you can find a dealer who will let you do that?

Offline Hippogriff

• Colour: Machine Gray
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:40:09 am »
My Mazda Dealer has been similarly reticent to let me go out in the car, especially alone and especially for an extended period of time.

Compare that approach to my previous and current experiences of Jaguar (weekend), Ford (weekend) Audi (overnight), Mini (all day) and Nissan (full day)... obviously all unaccompanied.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Caldean

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
Be wary of the Hyundai. We are trading ours in for the Mazda. The local dealer sucks, tries to wriggle out of every warranty claim, the battery for the I stop is only covered for 2 years and costs £220 to replace. On the surface the Hyundai looks good and well equipped  but they aren't  that well screwed together,  problems  gradually surface as a result, the ride is remote and they depreciate quickly.  It's the dealer who is the worst part. My Mazda dealer has just been awarded  their dealer of the year based on customer feedback too.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »