Author Topic: Prospective CX-5 owner, first-time with a Mazda too  (Read 57277 times)

Offline Hippogriff

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
Prospective CX-5 owner, first-time with a Mazda too
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:31 pm »
Good evening all,

I am almost about to press the button on a new CX-5. I have been an Audi A4 driver for the last 10 years or so, 3 cars over that time, but I've got a bad back nowadays and I've decided to go for something with a higher ride height that's easier to get in and out of and is also a car that isn't as harsh as the Audi S line range always is.

I looked at nearly everything out there, in the UK, with an open mind, from: Kia Sportage, Nissan Qashqai, Volvo XC60, Jeep Cherokee, Hyundai ix35, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport, Audi Q3 and Q5... cost isn't my major driver but - heck - if you're looking at an Evoque at £47,000 and a CX-5 at around £32,000 it seems a no-brainer for what you're getting, to me. I'd ideally have liked the CX-3 as it's a beautiful car, but it's too small for me and I can't get past the fact it's got this big 1990s style handbrake taking up loads of space. Odd design choice that.

Anyway, I had a few specific questions I've not been able to pin the dealer down fully on yet, I thought it would be useful for me to ask existing CX-5 owners.

The dealer says that there is no digital speedometer facility in the car and, true enough, I couldn't find one... but that seems weird. Is that truly the case, or can I press some button or twiddle some stalk so that I can see my speed digitally, rather than via a huge retro dial?

The dealer says that the auto-folding wing mirrors only fold on button press, and they don't auto-unfold on engine start and auto-fold on door lock - which is what I'm used to (my partner's Mini Countryman also uses a button!). Then he's told me that a "module" can be fitted to enable this. He said it would be fitted by the dealer, it wouldn't affect warranty and it would cost around £100... does anyone here have experience of what the dealer is referring to? Are we talking hardware module or software tweak?

I plugged in a USB stick with MP3s with embedded cover art today and I was really pleasantly surprised to see the covers on the screen... that was on a CX-3, though... can someone confirm (the dealer says this is the case) that the infotainment system in the CX-5 is exactly the same as in the CX-3?

Kinda nonplussed that there are no hooks at all in the boot. Have I been spoiled with Audi's hooks for the cargo net and their retractable 'curry hooks' in the boot roof? They've been life-savers on many occasion. I do like the way that the seats flip down in the CX-5, though.

BTW... hoping to be getting the Sport Nav 2.2 175ps diesel auto., with the additional super-duper Safety Pack. If that's just a crazy choice, please let me know!
Cheers, Hippo

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Prospective CX-5 owner, first-time with a Mazda too
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »
Hi and welcome!

I've just ordered my second CX5 (2.2D 175 sport nav manual with safety pack) having again done the rounds of comparing newer models. The Disco is the only one in the class that has lower CO2 emissions (if you have the new 2.0D), and you'd have to wait until Sept for one of those. I test drove the 2.2D 190 version - nice car but I thought it sluggish and heavy-feeling after the CX5. Then the cost of adding all the extras kills it (for me at least, as a company car). Also looked at the CX3, came to same conclusion as you, although the standard handbrake wouldn't put me off.

No digital speedo as you say and have never heard of a possible mod for that.

Johnnyoro has recently had the auto-fold mod added, see - http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=45.0

Can't comment on the USB as I don't use it much (prefer Spotify) and the older system doesn't show the artwork AFAIK. I think you can only use USB2, not 3. The 2015 CX5 system is, I believe the same as the CX3.

There are two tiedown points, but they are in the back of the seats rather than the floor. Mazda do make some accessories, though.
http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2011-11/

If you're going for the auto, you could consider adding a maxchip box. The auto real MPG is around 36-37 as opposed to the official 51.4. Zoomer fitted one and is getting 48 MPG indicated. Will probably get one when I get the new car in early August - see http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=175.0

Alan

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:09:57 pm »
Thanks.

We took a ride out in one today. The main objective was to check road noise. It's not bad at all. I could hear the rattle of the engine more than anything else... maybe it's a bit less refined but nothing was bad at all. I am positive it would suit me well.

The dealer then also showed us various anchor points (for cargo net, which I'd missed) and also the accessories like foldable box that attaches to rails. All welcome news.

Struggling, just a little bit, with this digital speedometer news. I've gotten so used to it in any car.

I learned that Safety Pack level 1 is probably all I need, not level 2 with the radar cruise control.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
The dealer says that the auto-folding wing mirrors only fold on button press, and they don't auto-unfold on engine start and auto-fold on door lock - which is what I'm used to (my partner's Mini Countryman also uses a button!). Then he's told me that a "module" can be fitted to enable this. He said it would be fitted by the dealer, it wouldn't affect warranty and it would cost around £100... does anyone here have experience of what the dealer is referring to? Are we talking hardware module or software tweak?

It's a minor hardware job, but well worth having. I paid £125 including fitting, I see on the forum others have been quoted anything up to double that, someone paid just over £100 and one brave soul bought the kit and did it himself. I highly recommend having it. See if you can get it thrown in at a good price as part of sealing the deal to buy the car.

As regards which model. I've got the 2.2D AWD sat nav manual, so can say the engine is plenty powerful enough but I haven't driven the auto. Be aware though that real world MPG will be nothing like that quoted in the brochure. I'm getting about 41MPG max.

Offline tubamanandy

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
Had a new one for 6 months now and nothing's gone wrong with it ! I've got the 150BHP model and plenty of power AND fuel economy - really impressed with Mazda (been Toyota for 15 yrs)

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 06:26:55 pm »
So, I thought I'd ruled out the Qashqai because it didn't have an option of heated seats. So I figured I would at least take a look at the Nissan X-Trail, which can have heated seats. I'm in the showroom and I open up the door of a Qashqai to see... heated seats!

It's back in the running. It also has a really nice 5" screen between the main dials behind the steering wheel where it can display a prominent digital speedometer. Also, the auto-folding mirrors work just as I would expect (not by pressing a button). The down side is that the passenger front seat doesn't have electric adjustment (both front seats do on the CX-5)... and the inside looks less refined than the CX-5.

Another downside is that I can only get 2WD on the Qashqai... I thought the time was right to try AWD.

However, the parking assist toys were great fun... doing a bay park and parallel park on automatic was actually enjoyable. I do not think the Nissan infotainment system (or navigation graphics) look as polished as what you get in the CX-5... but I like to really zoom in on my 2D map and I believe the CX-5 could only zoom in to 150 yards, my Audi can zoom in to 30 yards and the Qashqai could zoom in to 50 yards.

The bird's eye view of the car when pootling around was also pretty good fun (a bit blurry sometimes, but worked quite well).

The X-Trail is too big, by the way.

Qashqais are everywhere, whereas the CX-5 is a bit more exclusive... that might sway me a little bit. I need to get in a Qashqai and see whether the engine can drive it OK. I do not mind the CVT gearbox either as that's what I've had in all three of my A4s (I actually quite like CVT).

The LED DRLs on the CX-5 are much nicer!

Today has left me with much to ponder.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:28:04 pm »
Something else to consider - residual values. With a lot more squashies on the road, will they be worth as much in three years? I've just part exchanged my CX5 175 sport for the same model again and been given £14.5k for it, that's over 50% of the original price. It's got 65,000 on the clock, by the way...

Having had an original X-Trail about 10 years ago (loved it), I looked at the new one but the extra 10cm length (to allow the 7 seat option) and the lack of a larger diesel engine put me off. The original squashie put me off due to the lack of headroom, but I would consider the newer model (which is available in 4wd, but only with the 130HP engine for some bizarre reason).

Alan

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »
Is that what they're called?  ::)

Anyway, yes to the strange options (in my mind)... I would've thought you could get an auto. and AWD, but you can't. It's a choice between one or the other. Kinda annoyed me.

I'm taking out a Squashie on Thursday for a half day test drive. Will see if it's got enough grunt and will try out some of the toys.

Watch, I'll find out the perfect car for me (after 3 x A4s over 11 to 12 years) will be a Q3 or Q5 (S line)! Exactly where I don't want to be.  :-[

I reckon that I prefer the overall looks of the CX-5. Mazda really should give it a great between-dial display... I'd be there like a ferret up a drainpipe... right now, it's bugging me that I can't have a big digital speedometer.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:28:48 am »
CX-5 has 2 USB sockets, Qashqai has 1.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »
Qashqai was quite nice.

CVT is a pseudo-CVT somehow, there's definitely ratios on there. Grunt was enough for the car, it didn't feel sluggish. Noise of the engine was quite intrusive, road noise at high speed was louder than I'm used to. The central screen was amazing, held my digital speedo nicely, and it's very configurable too. The main display was OK - it recognised my music and album covers straight away, but the screen is facing directly backwards, rather than being angled towards the driver, so there's some glare on it. The car doesn't have voice control! The parking assistance stuff is pretty good. The car seemed to have speed camera alerts - a little warble came up every now and again and I wondered what it was until I tied it in to upcoming fixed cameras.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline tubamanandy

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:16 pm »
Not impressed at all with the Quasqui's range of engines - very weak

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 05:10:12 pm »
Hi... might be true on paper, with it being a 1.6, but it really did not lack poke at all.

Since then I've looked more closely at Honda CR-V (did not like it) and Toyota RAV4 (did not like it)... as well as Volkswagon Tiguan (did like it).

There's always a more reassuring "clunk" when closing the doors on a German vehicle.

Sadly, the Tiguan is £35,245 when configured-up... closely approaching the Q3 which came in at a nice £37,000. While these are less expensive than my current A4, I'm really trying to see if I can increase the ride height while, at the same time, decreasing the bill.

The infotainment system in the Tiguan is really sexy! It's got a Cover Flow type of interface which is touch-screen enabled, so it's just like one of those tablets. I plugged in a USB stick full of MP3s and it read it in no time and the radio stations have logos and all that.

If only Mazda would give me a digital speedo. and auto-folding mirrors on the CX-5. The Design department should be shot for oversights like that.

It's still top. Qashqai is not ruled-out. Q3, which I've been avoiding going to look at, might get a look-in.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:44 pm »
Hi.

I was quoted £97 and a few pence today for supply and fit for the auto folding mirror kit for my new Sport Nav so I've ordered one. Agree it really should be standard but I don't think the price is too bad. I would have ordered it before delivery if I'd known!

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:09:45 am »
If I get a CX-5 then I will get that. I never want to press a button to manually mess around with my auto-folding mirrors.

I am doing a line-by-line compare between the CX-5 and Qashqai now... my heart says CX-5 as I like the style more, I like the interior more, I like the AWD, I like the premium stereo, I like the infotainment system, I like that it has voice control, I like the all-LED headlights, I like the DRLs.

The Qashqai has proven to be a nice drive, I like the central information display, I like the parking assistance toys, I like the speed limit detection and display, I like the fixed speed camera warning. I like the price.

It's almost kinda like what one has the other doesn't... in a very deliberate way.

I checked out the Tiguan in great detail last weekend and I liked that too, as I said.

What is still getting my goat about the CX-5 is that there's a big LCD display in the main cluster, where loads of information can be displayed and all I want is a digital speedo..  >:(
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:33:08 am »
You have been doing  such an in depth investigation on your potential purchase and to me it seems like you have virtually made your mind up.

However you keep banging on about a digital speedo.  It's obvious that you like everything else and Mazda are not going to suddenly put a digital speedo in for you. So it seems to me that you need to accept that fact and either jump for the CX-5 and live without a Digital Speedo or walk away if it means that much to you.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:33:08 am »