Author Topic: Diesel fuel freezing/gelling at -16.5 C recently  (Read 3311 times)

Offline TriBeCa

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Diesel fuel freezing/gelling at -16.5 C recently
« on: January 03, 2023, 11:02:50 pm »
Hi all

I'm in Scotland and a few weeks ago during the ultra cold snap, I had -16.5 Celsius to deal with. It caused my 2019 CX-5 AWD to stop and limp along at 10mph. It then juddered and stopped a number of times. Happened again the following day with similar temperatures which led me to believe the fuel line had essentially frozen and the fuel was starting to gel along the fuel line preventing flow to the engine. The problems resolved by the afternoon when temps went to a balmy -10.

I spoke to Mazda and they weren't much help. They said that the fuel line is exposed to the elements and not insulated. They advised I use a higher grade diesel fuel at the forecourts but isn't that more for additives for cleaning etc? Is this a known issue with the CX-5 and these extreme temps? Many cars in my village were stranded with the same issue.

My current option is to pour STP's Winter Fuel Treatment in my fuel tank when I fill up and have extreme temps in the forecast. Anyone used this before?

Any further advice on this would be appreciated.

Cheers all

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Diesel fuel freezing/gelling at -16.5 C recently
« on: January 03, 2023, 11:02:50 pm »