Author Topic: Rust and windscreen  (Read 10915 times)

Offline Negativepitch

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Rust and windscreen
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:27:41 pm »
I have read a lot about maxdas and rust while looking into us buying one.
I know around a year and a half ago there were a lot of posts on various forums regarding the wind screen cracking for no apprent reason. It turned out to be because of the mounting goo they used and the stiffness of the chassis, there was also a lack of new wind screens available .

I'm not sure if this is correct but because it was such a common problem that Mazda knew about in the end that they put it on the warranty...not sur if that is correct though.

The other thing I have read is about rust.
Since we are looking at keeping the car for around 8years or so, obviously we don't want to have a problem of rust as soon as.
Nissan Qashqai not sat on my drive again.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: Rust and windscreen
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
Too early really for me to comment on rust, but I did need a windscreen replacement at 5 months old. Stone chip visible which overnight cracked the screen vertically from about centre screen to the bottom. No problem getting a replacement, I think the stock issues which were a problem upon launch are well in the past.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »
Question - should we be getting 'cracks' in windscreens by whatever means e.g. QC by Mazda or on the road events? I thought that cracks were something relegated to history a long time ago in the interests of safety and now we simply experience crazing. Mind you, I haven't experienced or seen a broken windscreen for goodness knows how long so might have got this all wrong lol.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:58:43 pm »
I gather the new Range Rover Discovery is having a few problems with cracking sun roofs. The combination of thinner, lighter materials, less cushioned seals and rigid bodies are causing  headaches for an increasing number of owners, not just Mazda.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »
Haven't seen a crazed windscreen in the last 20 years to be honest, I think lightweight laminated screens do crack if a chip is large enough, left long enough without repair, or caused by a high impact. Not a Mazda specific problem I don't think.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »