Author Topic: Low torque on 165 ps engine  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Lordhenry

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Low torque on 165 ps engine
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »
I bought e new CX-5 165 ps petrol in March, and I've passed the point where I have to treat the engine with a gentle right foot. I had read in magazine road tests that the petrol CX-5 is somewhat down on pulling power, but I'm wondering if my car is typical (bearing in mind the engine will loosen up more with more miles under the bonnet). The car drives perfectly in urban motoring and can take a high gear when at quite low road speeds. However, call for acceleration, especially on a motorway and even dropping a couple of gears produces little more than engine noise !    My last car didn't have as many horses under the bonnet as the CX-5, but had more torque.  In my old age I'm not used to reving the n**s off an engine when driving and needing to overtake safely before the loon approaching at well over the speed limit arrives on my tail. Is this the CX-5s achilles heel of the CX-5 that I will have to live with ?  (Generally very pleased indeed with the car though).   ::)

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Low torque on 165 ps engine
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:26:17 pm »
If you are asking if you can expect it to get better, I doubt it - not by much anyway.  These modern twin cam petrols need to be revved to get much out of them.  It’s frustrating that Mazda do this because everywhere else in Europe they offer the 2.5 engine and a petrol AWD auto but they seem fixated with the diesels that carry their own problems here.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 05:53:11 pm »
You'll likely get better performance using a premium grade of fuel, and possibly
a better mpg.
May be worth experimenting.

On US reviews I've seen for the 2.5L Petrol, the benefits of premium is often mentioned ;D
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline Lordhenry

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:53:57 pm »
Thank-you Anchorman & Gel.    I'll try the petrol experiment as nothing ventured nothing gained. However, I've seen on one of the tv motoring programmes where they tried to see if there was  difference using the top grade stuff, and it was a 'don't waste your money' result.  Many years ago I also tried to see if I could notice the difference and the only difference I noticed was a bigger hole in my bank balance.   :-\

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
Gerald
Thames Valley

Mazda CX-5 Forums