Author Topic: Allowing a potential buyer to test drive of my CX5 - My insurance or theirs?  (Read 15404 times)

Offline kenny1462

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
I am going to be selling my CX 5 2.2Ds Se-L Lux Nav and naturally any potential buyer is going to want a test drive.

Obviously any car being test driven MUST be insured by a policy that would cover the potential buyer
while he/she is on the public highways but who should actually take out that policy?

In my case I am insured fully comp with me as the only named driver so my policy would not
allow anyone else to drive it - can I ask that the potential buyer provides proof that they are
insured to drive any vehicle or is that unfair?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were?

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Lots of people (most maybe?) can drive someone else's car under their own insurance but there's a big BUT - it's only third party.  Thus if they were to crash into another car while test driving yours (ie the test driver's fault), then that other car (the third party) would be repaired under the test driver's policy - but your car wouldn't.  If, however, someone else were to hit you (ie their fault), then their insurance would pay to repair your car.

Offline kenny1462

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2016
Hi Bert

I am going to have to look into this as I have just checked my policy and I am only
insured to drive my own.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Risk v reward says DON'T DO IT in my opinion because if anything happens you're 99% guaranteed to be left with the a load of unnecessary agg and potential expense. It doesn't matter what any potential buyer shows/tells you you have no way of being 100% sure it's covers you against damage to your car or a 3rd party.
If they need/want to know what a CX-5 drives like then the should have gone to a dealer before trawling private ads. If a potential buyer says "can I take it for a test drive" just say I'm afraid not but I'm more than happy to take you out for as long as you want. They'll often then come back with "I'm covered fully comp" but be firm and say sorry but No. Maybe suggest they have the car independently inspected if they have concerns, maybe offer paying half if they buy end up buying the car. If they make a fuss then let them walk as the risk v reward just ain't worth it. Besides, I'm not sure about anyone else but I've never lost a sale to a serious buyer due to insisting I drive.

Good luck with the sale  ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:16:03 am by Mary Hinge »

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2019
I agree with Mary Hinge on this one :)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Mazda CX-5 Forums