Author Topic: Oil light illuminated  (Read 8522 times)

Offline rmh2967

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Oil light illuminated
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:18:54 am »
Hi, this is my first post on here after buying a CX-5 back in June. I have a 2.2 Skyactiv diesel SE-L.
I’m not new to Mazda as I have previously owned  6 and a 3. I also currently own a Mazda Bongo.
The reason I bought my CX-5 was for towing my caravan and so far I’ve been impressed with it.
However, a couple of weeks ago I received a recall letter regarding the inlet valves. It’s been in and all sorted.
Then 4 days after this I was driving it when the oil warning light came on. The warning said ‘oil pressure low’. I was a bit concerned and limped to the local Halfords thinking I was low on oil. On checking the oil level it seemed fine, but after some research I now know the oil level is too high. When I restarted the engine the warning light had gone and hasn’t come back on since.
I’ve run my own diagnostic check on it and no error codes have come up.
Could this be just a single blip on the system or could this be due to high oil level. I will be changing the oil this weekend and making sure it’s at the correct level.
I did wonder of it had anything to do with the recall work but it’s strange how the light went out on it’s own and not been back on since. Any ideas??

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Oil light illuminated
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:21:32 pm »
Can't answer your problem but as you are using the CX5 for towing I'll take the opportunity to pass on a hint although it is somewhat off topic. On long tows, and it happens each and every time, up pops a warning on my car advising that the vehicles overtaking you function (can't recall now the tech. name) but it's that little orange vehicle sign in the external rear view mirrors, is not working. After a long while, or vehicle restart, the system resets so I'm guessing that the rear bumper sensors don't much like having a caravan/trailer hanging off the back. And yes, towbar and electrics are Mazdas own and Mazda fitted. Just a heads up if this should happen to you.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 05:21:21 pm »
Just so you know, the oil warning light can also come on if it detects poor oil quality. I had that happen on the M6 with my previous CX5 2.2D 175. Assuming it was an oil pressure problem I stopped as soon as I was able to and called Mazda assist who had me recovered back to my dealer. They told me it would have been safe to continue driving, but the warning system doesn't tell you that!

It could also be an oil dilution issue from DPF flushback. The oils spec has to be a C3 type, if I recall correctly.

I'd be talking to the dealer who sorted the recall, if I were you, in case it's related.

Alan

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:08:36 am »
Keep in mind, you must reset the oil data or the light will come back on again. This isn’t the trip computer, it requires you to earth a test point on the fuse box.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline rmh2967

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:59:21 am »
Thank you for the advice.
Firstly, mine is the lower spec so I don’t have the overtaking warning light fitted on my car, but worth knowing though.
I bought my CX-5 from a car supermarket. They said they were going to service it as part of the sale but I’m now convinced it was merely a stamp in the book rather than a proper service and I don’t think the oil was changed, hence now going to do it this weekend. Also I don’t trust they have put the right oil in it so it will be done properly this weekend. Piece of mind!! I won’t be buying from these type of places again!
I phoned the Mazda dealer yesterday and mentioned it to them. I was told that when it was in for the recall they did a PCM update on the system and the fact-checks light came on may possibly have been the system still trying to settle down as it will pick up things and sort them out. Hence why the light has now gone out. In fairness to them, they did say if does come back on then to take it back to them and they will have a look at it.
Just out of interest, how do you reset the oil light? I’ve had a look but can’t see how to do it.

Offline ceegee

• Year: 2019
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:22 pm »
i can't answer your problem but as you are using the CX5 for towing I'll take the opportunity to pass on a hint although it is somewhat off topic. On long tows, and it happens each and every time, up pops a warning on my car advising that the vehicles overtaking you function (can't recall now the tech. name) but it's that little orange vehicle sign in the external rear view mirrors, is not working. After a long while, or vehicle restart, the system resets so I'm guessing that the rear bumper sensors don't much like having a caravan/trailer hanging off the back. And yes, towbar and electrics are Mazdas own and Mazda fitted. Just a heads up if this should happen to you.
[/i][/color][/color]

If you read the appropraite section in the  hand book it advises to turn off the BSM when towing or going down narrow lanes, this system does not work using the rear bumper sensors but there are radar sensors in the rear panels

Offline Deeps

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:27:36 pm »
i can't answer your problem but as you are using the CX5 for towing I'll take the opportunity to pass on a hint although it is somewhat off topic. On long tows, and it happens each and every time, up pops a warning on my car advising that the vehicles overtaking you function (can't recall now the tech. name) but it's that little orange vehicle sign in the external rear view mirrors, is not working. After a long while, or vehicle restart, the system resets so I'm guessing that the rear bumper sensors don't much like having a caravan/trailer hanging off the back. And yes, towbar and electrics are Mazdas own and Mazda fitted. Just a heads up if this should happen to you.
[/i][/color][/color]

If you read the appropraite section in the  hand book it advises to turn off the BSM when towing or going down narrow lanes, this system does not work using the rear bumper sensors but there are radar sensors in the rear panels

I wonder if you might like to quote the relevant page in the manual and there is no mention of this in my manual, or at least any that I can find. I also cannot find any pictorial reference to where in any panel these sensors are positioned or in fact any written mention of sensors located in panels other than the bumper.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:07:23 pm »
This might help

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/contents/05280700.html?kw=BSM&hw=BSM

The relevant bit I have outlined in Red. 

The location of the sensors   

Offline Deeps

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 02:26:16 pm »
Thanks for that, Willpower. I hadn't realised there was an online manual so I've now bookmarked that page for possible future reference. The info is much more detailed than what is presented in the printed version so of far more use. Once again, thanks.

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 03:57:38 pm »
Oil data reset.

Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 03:57:38 pm »