Author Topic: Special Service Program - Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming?  (Read 23226 times)

Offline kenny1462

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Hi all

I just received a letter from Mazda UK regarding a Special Service Program - Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming telling me that my vehicle is required to have this carried out.

The wording actually says: Your vehicle is now required to be installed with the very latest and improved engine calibration software. Software will also be installed to enhance the accelerator response as well as provide engine noise reduction.

Has anyone else experienced this or receive one of these letters?
Is this something to worry about or can I go ahead and allow Mazda to do it?

Many thanks

Kenny

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
Re: Special Service Program - Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:00:57 pm »
Why would you NOT allow the manufacturer of your car the option to make your car better with a software improvement ? 

They are hardly likely to offer something that would damage your car.   What are your worries ?

Offline kenny1462

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:58:42 pm »
I was only checking as I have heard stories of manufactures upgrading software that then causes other problems that did not previously exist and then refusing to rectify it unless the owner paid (NOT Mazda I hasten to add).

My CX 5 is the first car I have ever purchased from new so I just thought I'd ask if anyone else here had received the same letter.

A google search has not returned anything on a Powertrain Control Module issue.

It does not hurt to ask does it... :)

Offline routerunner

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:44:34 pm »
Hi,

just got back from holiday and found the very same letter in the post.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this something related to the usual software upgrades (the dealer upgraded to 509EU as part of my last service back in April 2018) or totally different? The PCM sounds something more fundamental to me. My car accelerates quite well I must say with plenty of torque  :) :). Is this maybe also related to mitigate the DPF issue? Which I'm still observing BTW.

Cheers
Eddy
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:33:56 am »
I've had one of these letters too. 2nd service carried out yesterday along with this update.  Will report back in next few days.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:39:45 am »
I've had one of these letters too. 2nd service carried out yesterday along with this update.  Will report back in next few days.

Did it seem any quieter to start with?
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:57:05 pm »
Hi Anchorman  :)
 The engine seems smoother with slightly more oomph and the auto box changes are smoother. One thing that is definitely different is that the maintenance interval now monitors the oil quality and there are no other options listed such as mileage intervals etc. I suppose this makes sense due to regens possibly diluting the oil. I think its quieter although these things are always subjective. To be honest the road noise is more of an issue than engine noise in my opinion.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »
Interesting. Mine is a bit harsh so it might help. The road noise is less of an issue on the 17 on models.  It’s going in soon so they might sort it. I think petrol is the way forward but while I’m working I’m stuck with AWD. Thanks for the update.

Don.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 07:28:00 pm »
 The engine seems smoother with slightly more oomph and the auto box changes are smoother. One thing that is definitely different is that the maintenance interval now monitors the oil quality and there are no other options listed such as mileage intervals etc. I suppose this makes sense due to regens possibly diluting the oil. I think its quieter although these things are always subjective. To be honest the road noise is more of an issue than engine noise in my opinion.

Mine is due this coming Friday. So it looks like it's a MCU firmware update to 513EU as well because of the new maintenance menu. I recall a user posted a comment while back on a DPF related thread claiming the 513EU update fixed the DPF issue; I now understand that he might have misunderstood because of the new maintenance menu which I think is a clever idea because everybody has different driving styles and daily routine and for someone the 12K miles oil replacement could be a possibility and for others 6K miles could be more likely. This should also drastically reduce the number of road calls and free oil replacement from Mazda dealers, but also should give more peace of mind to drivers, or at least works for me  :)

Eddy

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:30:16 pm by routerunner »
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 09:33:44 pm »
Hi Routerunner
I noticed that my MCU firmware had not changed. I'm making the assumption that the software update to the PCM has enabled this maintenance feature to display on the MCU as there must be some communication process between the two systems to enable the oil quality information to be displayed.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:19:23 am »

Hi, done the update this morning as scheduled and drove back to work (25 Miles)....no difference observed whatsoever, and no oil quality displayed in the App -> Maintenance menu which is exactly as before, just a huge bird dropping on the bonnet to complete the picture >:(

What CMU software version you have at the moment? I have the 502EU which is not the very very latest, but upgraded during last service back in April this year.

Cheers
Eddy

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 12:00:26 pm »

Hi, done the update this morning as scheduled and drove back to work (25 Miles)....no difference observed whatsoever, and no oil quality displayed in the App -> Maintenance menu which is exactly as before, just a huge bird dropping on the bonnet to complete the picture >:(

What CMU software version you have at the moment? I have the 502EU which is not the very very latest, but upgraded during last service back in April this year.

Cheers
Eddy

Eddy, I think you’re getting your updates mixed up. The one you can read in the MZD screen is for the audio system. The latest is version 545. The one for the engine is something quite different and you can’t tell by looking whether it has been done. They basically remap the engine management computer.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »
I'm aware that the firmware update I had this morning was for the power-train unit and nothing to do with the CMU (DMZ Connect) firmware.

I just asked (hopefully Jonno21 will reply) the software version of his DMZ Connect firmware version because:
  • I didn't notice any change to the car in terms of smoothness and more oomph
  • The maintenance menu is exactly as before, so no oil quality indicator as he mentioned
  • His DMZ firmware haven't changed, so there is the possibility that either:
    • My DMZ doesn't show the new maintenance menu because is not the right version, albeit mine has been upgraded last April
    • The power-train firmware upgrade versions was the same I had before

Unfortunately the Mazda dealer where I live is pretty awful, but just one mile down the road and before contacting MCS I would like to have my facts pretty clear.

Cheers
Eddy

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 07:04:49 pm »
Eddy
Changes not relating to the Navigation side are also listed so this might explain my maintenance menu difference as Mazda must make additional changes which are not listed. In any case, get your dealer to update to 59.00.545A. You can do it yourself but it's not for the faint hearted:
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251971&stc=1&d=1534750094

My version is 59.00.545.A. For what it's worth the changelog is below:

• When setting a destination using the address, “House Number not found” error pop-up message may appear even if the address can actually be set. • When trying to enter a new destination address, different house number may be appear as a destination while correct house number is actually set.
 • When trying to enter a new destination address, some house numbers may not appear in the list to be selected from.
 • [V59.00.544 only, except 2017-2018 Mazda3 (Mexico built)] When using Driving Position Memory, a beep sound may not be heard when the driving position adjustment is completed. Display settings for navigation guidance on Active Driving Display may not be kept for the seat position memory.
 • i-Pod nano 5th gen will not play.
 • [Only vehicles equipped with the Forward Sensing Camera] Warning Guidance message to clear foggy windshield is shown on center display even if it is not foggy.
 • Fuel Economy Monitor may draw bars twice a minute instead of once a minute.
 • [CX-9] According to the correct design specification, the speed limit is displayed only on active driving display. It should not be displayed in center display.
 • The customize function is limited even if the engine is running.The setting tab works as if the vehicle is in ACC mode.
 • [German] Improper translation for Auto Door Lock Mode setting.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 08:23:48 pm »
Eddy
Changes not relating to the Navigation side are also listed so this might explain my maintenance menu difference as Mazda must make additional changes which are not listed. In any case, get your dealer to update to 59.00.545A. You can do it yourself but it's not for the faint hearted:
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251971&stc=1&d=1534750094

My version is 59.00.545.A. For what it's worth the changelog is below:

• When setting a destination using the address, “House Number not found” error pop-up message may appear even if the address can actually be set. • When trying to enter a new destination address, different house number may be appear as a destination while correct house number is actually set.
 • When trying to enter a new destination address, some house numbers may not appear in the list to be selected from.
 • [V59.00.544 only, except 2017-2018 Mazda3 (Mexico built)] When using Driving Position Memory, a beep sound may not be heard when the driving position adjustment is completed. Display settings for navigation guidance on Active Driving Display may not be kept for the seat position memory.
 • i-Pod nano 5th gen will not play.
 • [Only vehicles equipped with the Forward Sensing Camera] Warning Guidance message to clear foggy windshield is shown on center display even if it is not foggy.
 • Fuel Economy Monitor may draw bars twice a minute instead of once a minute.
 • [CX-9] According to the correct design specification, the speed limit is displayed only on active driving display. It should not be displayed in center display.
 • The customize function is limited even if the engine is running.The setting tab works as if the vehicle is in ACC mode.
 • [German] Improper translation for Auto Door Lock Mode setting.

Thank you soo much for the info. It is now clear that my CMU firmware is not as recent as yours, so that explain the difference in menu. Can I ask you when did you upgrade to 545? How much you dealer charged you for the upgrade? I know that perception is very subjective, but the service recall clearly stated quieter engine and better acceleration response, but to be honest with you I did notice none of the changes and to be fair the engine seems more noisy now, in particular at low RPM...

Yes, you are right the procedure is very complex, I'm an embedded software engineer myself and I deal with firmware upgrades daily at my current client site, but this upgrade procedure is very prone to errors and strict timeouts doesn't help, so I think I will let the dealer doing it ;)

Cheers
Eddy

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 08:23:48 pm »