Author Topic: Transmission Issue and Fix (M/T)  (Read 9116 times)

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Transmission Issue and Fix (M/T)
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:40:03 pm »
Overall I've very much enjoyed driving my CX-5, but there had always been something niggling that wasn't quite right with the transmission;

- It was difficult to engage reverse, first and second gear, always feeling hesitant and 'graunchy' in those gears and sometimes not wanting to engage at all
- In first and second gear, the clutch biting point felt inconsistent and 'mushy', making pulling away smoothly quite difficult at times
- When crawling in first or second gear, the transmission take-up was horrible and the car would 'shunt' when accelerating or decelerating

I was getting fed up of this and starting to look into getting my clutch and/or flywheel changed, assuming that this was the issue - that was until I was researching the issue online and came across a Mazda 3 TSB from the States describing similar issues and a fix that looked very easy, so I decided to try it out...

...IT'S WORKED! My clutch and gearbox feel factory-new and eager to engage any gear, crawling in slow traffic is no longer embarrassing as the car will crawl along happily, and the clutch biting point feels positive and precise. The car feels like it's had a new clutch and flywheel  :D :D :D

The TSB relates to Mazda 3 manual transmission models built before 11/11/2013, and with my car being registered in April 2014 was probably built around this time. It's not even the same model as mentioned in the TSB but I reasoned that the gearbox itself and/or its setup is probably the same, and the fix took less than five minutes so was worth a shot.

If anyone is having similar issues with their CX-5 (or 3 or 6 for that matter) of a similar age or older, give this a try as it may make the same difference for you as me (that is, it's made the car totally brilliant to drive!)

Oh, the TSB:
http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/SB-10059728-0335.pdf
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline andyb_ie

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Re: Transmission Issue and Fix (M/T)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 03:19:26 pm »
I have a 2.2 Diesel, Manual CX5 2016 model.

I also felt a terrible crunch going from first to second, sometime second to third then third to fourth felt like I was dragging the stick through mesh. It was still under a Mazda warranty last year and they replaced some gear syncro mesh hubs and also the clutch, but it didn't help. It doesn't help the issue isn't always repeatable..
I'll see it it gets any worse

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: Transmission Issue and Fix (M/T)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 03:19:26 pm »