Author Topic: Turbo failure  (Read 15261 times)

Offline SamR49

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Turbo failure
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:02:40 pm »
Today my 2015 CX5 175 sport nav auto started acting strange, wouldn't excellerate and wasn't changing gear correctly. Suddenly the SCBS, EPB, TCS/DSC warning lights come on and the car starts to jerk as it try's to change gear .
Took it to Mazda dealer who has said its a failed turbo.
The car has just done just over 32000 miles and there has been no indication of any issues prior to this happening today.
It's been serviced by the Mazda main dealer since new but is 8 months out of warranty .
Any advice would very welcome

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Turbo failure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
Well have you approached them?
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Fangface

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:37:31 am »
Today my 2015 CX5 175 sport nav auto started acting strange, wouldn't excellerate and wasn't changing gear correctly. Suddenly the SCBS, EPB, TCS/DSC warning lights come on and the car starts to jerk as it try's to change gear .
Took it to Mazda dealer who has said its a failed turbo.
The car has just done just over 32000 miles and there has been no indication of any issues prior to this happening today.
It's been serviced by the Mazda main dealer since new but is 8 months out of warranty .
Any advice would very welcome

Wow, the exact same thing has just happened to me last Tuesday!  It is presently sitting in the main dealers for the past 6 days waiting for Mazda UK to approve / deny a goodwill repair.  I am pretty much identical to you except my mileage is 40k and mine is a manual box.  I am just about to go on to the dealer and kick up a stink as I have been vehicleless since last Tuesday as they had no courtesy cars available.

Not sure what the fault in your turbo is but the mechanic sent from the dealer sent me a message to say a rivet had failed in the turbo which was stopping it from operating correctly.  The good news is the turbo hadn't disintegrated and caused any other damage but had just failed to work any more.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:23:31 pm »
Good news in my case although it took a long time to come.  Mazda UK are paying 100% of the bill to replace the turbo but it has taken them 8 days to make the decision after repeated conversations between the dealer and Mazda UK giving additional information etc.  Now I have to wait for the parts to arrive and get fitted so I am looking at a minimum of 10 days without a car but could easily be early next week before I get it back.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:15:47 am »
What an injustice.  Try getting one penny out of Ford, Vauxhall or any of the German brands on a 2015 out of warranty car and you’re not happy that it’s taken time to sort out.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:20 am »
What an injustice.  Try getting one penny out of Ford, Vauxhall or any of the German brands on a 2015 out of warranty car and you’re not happy that it’s taken time to sort out.

Thanks for your comment mate, really helped progress the conversation. 

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:41 am »
Good news in my case although it took a long time to come.  Mazda UK are paying 100% of the bill to replace the turbo ...........

Good for you although in my opinion for a fault that has been well documented and known about by one and all there shouldn't really have been any delay at all. In that regard I disagree with Anchorman which is seldom lol. I also can't find justification for them not supplying you with a replacement car for the duration of the repairs. To me it really doesn't matter if the car was five years out of warranty the issue is really about a fault or likely fault in the production process of the Turbo and car owners affected by this problem shouldn't have to go crawling on hands and knees to seek redress.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Fangface

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:03 am »
Good news in my case although it took a long time to come.  Mazda UK are paying 100% of the bill to replace the turbo ...........

Good for you although in my opinion for a fault that has been well documented and known about by one and all there shouldn't really have been any delay at all. In that regard I disagree with Anchorman which is seldom lol. I also can't find justification for them not supplying you with a replacement car for the duration of the repairs. To me it really doesn't matter if the car was five years out of warranty the issue is really about a fault or likely fault in the production process of the Turbo and car owners affected by this problem shouldn't have to go crawling on hands and knees to seek redress.

The local dealer claims all their courtesy cars are already allocated so it would mean hiring another car for me which they aren't willing to do for a goodwill repair as they aren't obligated to do so.  I wasn't wanting to rock the boat too much until such time as a decision had been made and after getting a quote for £1500 inc VAT to replace the turbo the fact that they are doing it for free is a huge bonus so not worth falling out with them over a courtesy car.  What is interesting is that there seemed to be a bit of back and forth between the dealer and Mazda UK over several tests that Mazda UK wanted ran on the vehicle - the dealer did so and then the claim was approved but I don't know what they were checking for and if they had found a certain thing would they have denied the claim?  Fingers crossed the parts come in today and they can start on it soon and I might have it back in time for the weekend.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »
If they accepted every claim at face value they’d be out of business in no time flat. They have to get the report from the dealer, check any service information, get the oil analysed, make sure that it isn’t influenced by something else ( like a chip fitted or air filter kit) ask for a download of the computer then go through the administrative bit and feed it back to the dealer.  I think that 8 days for a £1500 repair is very acceptable.  It’s my opinion and I wouldn’t be at all cynical about the time or lack of other gestures if my cat was out of warranty.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 12:03:34 pm »

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 12:40:09 pm »

I fully agree. Before I bought my first Mazda, I owned a quite expensive Lexus RX300.

3 months after the warranty, a known problem appeared: Lexus immediately refused to intervene: "your car is out of warranty".

Offline bridgedino

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »
New poster here but thought i would share my experience

2015 Mazda CX5 2.2 175 with 37k miles on the clock, started cycling through fault displays for TPMS inspection, SCBS inspection and finaly engine inspection required. At the same time we noticed a loss of power and sluggish performance

Into our local Arnold Clark Mazda workshop and a faulty turbo diagnosed, broken rivet had caused it to fail.

£1850 to supply and fit. Straight onto the phone to Mazda UK who didnt put up much of a struggle and agreed to cover the full cost. Great result for us but they gave in so easily there must be others out there

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »