Author Topic: Mazda Sat Nav  (Read 14621 times)

Offline Nig

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Mazda Sat Nav
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:10:54 pm »
Greetings all, we have just changed our CX5 for a facelift model.  Whilst most of the updates are welcomed, I am finding the Mazda Sat Nav cumbersome to use after the ease of the TomTom in the old one.  There are loads of minor niggles that make using it difficult, and I find the inability to change the voice the navigation is given in really annoying.  Wondered if anyone else had any thoughts or advice as to how to change the voice commands.

Nig

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Mazda Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:29 pm »
I've just done the same. Can't help with the voice commands but I'll throw in two other issues I've found. One is that the display doesn't show true speed any more, but just indicates the local speed limit which changes colour if you exceed it.

The other is a bit more complex. On the old model, the live traffic system (if you paid for the subscription) updated via a GSM link built into the car. The new version requires you to have a smartphone which can set up a wifi hotspot, so the updates come in using your phones data allowance (not a large amount of data, fortunately). It may be my phone (HTC One) but this seems very flaky, plus you can't run a wifi hotspot and leave the normal wifi on at the same time. It's one or the other and you have to remember to switch between the two.

The dealer is also going to look at mine as it keeps dropping out and rebooting; it did it three times in one 40 min journey on Sunday. Once, it rebooted with a screen showing a message saying no navigation system was installed and replaced the map with a digital compass!

Alan

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 07:12:59 pm »
BigAl - did you get anywhere with the dealer looking at your Nav system.  I've had some reboots in the few days I've had the car but found an update to the firmware yesterday which I applied this morning.  Seemed to run much smoother and stable on a run out today.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:15:07 pm »
Not yet, it's still on my to do list... I also haven't updated the SD card since its first time, so that might need doing anyway.

Alan

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »
I've got one of those TO-DO lists as well - never gets shorter.

Anyway, if you get around to it and want to avoid a dealer visit, my research took me here:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/98202-mzd-connect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads-32.html

This has the download of v56 of the EU (incl UK) firmware (which itself includes the latest Gracenote database).  The Maps are done by MazdaConnect so already user downloadable.

Probably took me 2 hours end to end for everything - and taking care at each step.

But 48 hours on and all working fine; even the thread I've read somewhere about when you restart the engine the music you were playing goes back to track 1 seems to be fixed - not that I'd noticed it in the first place.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual