Author Topic: Mazda response Satnav probs  (Read 27091 times)

Offline ColinX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Mazda response Satnav probs
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »

I wrote to Mazda  and got this answer

At Mazda, we believe technology should enhance the driving experience, not distract from it. Mazda’s new connectivity system MZD-Connect works much like a smartphone. It can be updated to make way for new features and functions as they become available. This way the car’s system is never dated.

I note the comment about CX-5 owners reporting concerns about the Bluetooth and SatNav on an internet forum. The early Mazda CX-5 models had different systems installed. I would recommend contacting your local approved Mazda dealership if you feel you are experiencing issues with your infotainment system. They will be able to run diagnostic work on the MZD-Connect and be in discussion with our technical department here at Mazda UK regarding the issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:32:48 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Mazda response Satnav probs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:37:36 pm »
I take mine in tomorrow for the bluetooth.

My HTC Desire 510 worked perfectly with my last CX-5, originally with the last car i had a Samsung Galaxy Y, this phone was on the Mazda compatibility list, but it would only connect 9 out of ten times problem was when it didn't it was a total pain to reconnect.

Which is exactly where i am with my latest Mazda.

Again my phone is on the compatibility list, and i did test it on a new version before a test drive, it paired immediatly and worked when i phoned home.
When i collected my new car the salesman had trouble pairing the phone, after about 5 attemps it finally paired, and for about a week the phone connected everytime, then it started to connect when it felt like it.

Yesterday after numerous attempts to connect i decided to unpair both and re pair again, after a few attemps it will not pair so i've lost patience with it.

I'll be interested in the dealer response.

Colin what problem do you have?

ps i'm also asking them to see if they can remove the street name covering the phone data etc.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:39:33 pm by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ColinX-5

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:10:18 am »
This is the letter I sent.

Hi, I got my second CX-5 in September this year and both Wife and I are really pleased with it , BUT ! the satnav ! it's such a let down for a wonderful car. The fact that is does not take full postcodes is a step backward for a modern satnav  and to make things even worse the live traffic updates need a smart phone connected !? and the connection is very unreliable, (phone is on Mazda's compatible list)  The firmware upgrade has been done it is 56.00230a  but nothing has changed. I am on 3 internet Mazda forums so I know there are lots of people with the same problems, the 2013 CX-5 with Tomtom took several months to get sorted out, is there any  chance of the MZD being sorted soon ? it spoils a really enjoyable drive. 

And like xtrailman I find the street name covering the phone data pain.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:33:12 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:49:53 pm »
This is the letter I sent.

Hi, I got my second CX-5 in September this year and both Wife and I are really pleased with it , BUT ! the satnav ! it's such a let down for a wonderful car. The fact that is does not take full postcodes is a step backward for a modern satnav  and to make things even worse the live traffic updates need a smart phone connected !? and the connection is very unreliable, (phone is on Mazda's compatible list)  The firmware upgrade has been done it is 56.00230a  but nothing has changed. I am on 3 internet Mazda forums so I know there are lots of people with the same problems, the 2013 CX-5 with Tomtom took several months to get sorted out, is there any  chance of the MZD being sorted soon ? it spoils a really enjoyable drive. 

And like xtrailman I find the street name covering the phone data pain.

It does take full postcodes but you must enter the space.
Problem is you don't then get offered all the house numbers on the street, just some.

For the caravan sites i use i've converted postcodes to coordinates which is actually better as it puts you directly on the site entrance.
I use Google earth to do that, but then you need to convert to N,S,E,W degrees for the mazda.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:33:24 pm by Willpower »

Offline ColinX-5

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 04:30:24 pm »
WOW   I have just been out to car and the postcodes do work thank you so much .
So it just the phone to sort out, its booked in for next Wednesday all day, I will let you know how it goes. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:33:35 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »
I was given the same info as you, it might have been the case with earlier versions?
But someone on this forum i believe did say they worked providing a space was used.

I have just checked and my software is now 56.00.230 EU n.
I'm not sure what it's for exactly? anyone.

But my contract HTC desire will not even re-pair now, but my non contract phone will, both phones are exactly the same except for the provider, HTC DESIRE 510.
So perhaps the Vodaphone one has a BT fault. Mean while i'm waiting for the unlock code for my o2 Tesco phone, so i can swop sim cards over.

I have asked the dealer if they can replace the BT modual, because my contract phone DID originally work with the car, they are contacting Mazda for guidance.

Re the street name covering the phone data, they say that they can't do anything about it, so i would imagine Mazda will have to update the nav software.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:14:27 pm by xtrailman »

Offline courgette

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »
 >:(I sympathise with the points raised here about the sat nav lack of connection. I was in my garage yesterday and some of the staff were off to an infotainment training session. They promised to raise my issues with Mazda. I think the notification of the next road blotting out the strength of the phone signal and whether the hotspot is connected is really frustrating and making me pay through my mobile phone provider for enabling the sat nav system to work on live traffic updates is a nerve. Hopefully the geeks who put this system together will see sense and make some changes. Since no phone network assures 100% coverage, then the live traffic function will never work properly and since you cannot see whether the hotspot is connected or not, seems a complete waste of time to me. Considering buying the cheapest sat nav which does not need a mobile phone signal for live traffic updates.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:33:44 pm by Willpower »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »
Considering buying the cheapest sat nav which does not need a mobile phone signal for live traffic updates.

Then you might want to consider the Garmin nuvi 3598 LMT-D which I have. It's reliable, phone connection via BT if you want, free updates for life of the unit and free traffic updates - no mobile phone signal required. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/car-tech/tom-tom-gps-and-sat-nav/nuvi-3598-lmt-d-1275812/review

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-3598LMT-D-Bluetooth-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B00D3FBHEM
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:33:57 pm by Willpower »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Psythepie

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »
I'm with you on all those points Courgette & have written to Mazda UK myself about them with a not very helpful response  :(. I'd also like to add another - the live traffic doesn't cover B roads, slip roads (often places of queuing traffic) & even misses a great number of major A roads e.g the A31 in Surrey, a major arterial route that has daily heavy traffic. I find that kind of omission utterly baffling given that cheap stand alone units cover all those things & will even allow you to update camera positions etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:34:06 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:24 am »
I always get traffic presumably from the TMC.

When Mazda used TT live services the effectivness of that system relied on users of Vodapone mobiles etc. I'm not sure where they get the live traffic now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:34:15 pm by Willpower »

Offline Psythepie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:14:00 am »
What i am referring to is the on screen image that shows a coloured line down the side of roads to indicate traffic weight & the little road signs showing roadworks etc, the coverage is very random. If you look at this image I took earlier the road going diagonally up the screen has the traffic info (green lines) but the road going horizontally has nothing. This is a major commuting road & has daily traffic issues so why is it excluded from the live traffic? What makes it worse is that Here maps (the suppliers of traffic & maps to our systems) own phone app
clearly has the queuing traffic on the slip road off of the A31 shown in red along with another incident yet we don't receive this information. I can't be alone in thinking that this is very poor for a satnav worth a lot of money that you then have to pay another £90 approx' on top for live traffic for 3 years?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:34:24 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:03:18 pm »
I agree its poor.
What App are you running on the phone?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:34:33 pm by Willpower »

Offline Psythepie

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
It's the Here Maps app on Android. I only put it on the phone to compare what we get from the same source, if I was using the phone to navigate I'd use Google maps as it's far better imo

Edit :  The edit is the follow on title.  (I'm sorry I just can't handle the misspelling. Not directed at Psythepie as it started from the top.) 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:35:13 pm by Willpower »

Offline Fangface

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:37:40 am »
If I am in heavy traffic I tend to use Waze.  It doesn't seem as widely used in the UK as in the US but it was a godsend in Orlando in July for me.  I just wish there was a system where my phone connected to the car and it just displayed the phone screen on the car screen, like screen mirroring on a tv, as I already have all the sms, email, maps etc on my phone and it would be great if the phone just displayed what was on the screen instead of trying to use its own clunky software to display it.

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
If I am in heavy traffic I tend to use Waze.  It doesn't seem as widely used in the UK as in the US but it was a godsend in Orlando in July for me.  I just wish there was a system where my phone connected to the car and it just displayed the phone screen on the car screen, like screen mirroring on a tv, as I already have all the sms, email, maps etc on my phone and it would be great if the phone just displayed what was on the screen instead of trying to use its own clunky software to display it.

I wanted mirror link, also have on my smart tv, and some french cars have it.
Apparently it can be done, but i'm not sure how, if i had it google maps would be my choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEy4teVKeLc

There are a few more vids available.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »