Author Topic: Fuel consumption  (Read 289125 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Fuel consumption
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2016, 10:44:03 am »
Yes, I've seen this as well. When I had my Subaru Forester (before first CX5) the same thing happened. I was told by one of their technicians that the ECU's "learn" your driving style and adjust fuel usage to suit. However, when you get it serviced, this learnt part is lost and has to be re-learnt. Don't know if this is fact, but it sounds plausible?

Alan

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2016, 11:29:06 am »
On my reading I'm getting ~ 60mpg, but I've not done a brim check to assert if the figure is accurate as I don't see the point of carrying a full tank of fuel around.  The best figure I've had is 80 mpg coming up the M6 through Cheshire ( on the inside lane, HGV speeds)

Much of my driving is motorway, and I generally do around 60 mph. Just took delivery of my new Sport Nav and expected a reduction but straight away I'm getting 60 mpg on the readout.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »
I've never had an average above 55mph over a trip.
Average with last car was usually 41 to 43mpg.

Auto is at 36mpg at present.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
Just took delivery of my new Sport Nav and expected a reduction but straight away I'm getting 60 mpg on the readout.

Blimey, do you wear slippers when driving?  ;D The best I've recorded with my CX-5 is 40.9 mpg and I'm not exactly what you'd call a boy racer.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »
Just took delivery of my new Sport Nav and expected a reduction but straight away I'm getting 60 mpg on the readout.

Blimey, do you wear slippers when driving?  ;D The best I've recorded with my CX-5 is 40.9 mpg and I'm not exactly what you'd call a boy racer.

Am also impressed (stunned) by the 60mpg...are you sure you're looking at average mpg and not average speed?!

Offline Catamong

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
On my reading I'm getting ~ 60mpg, but I've not done a brim check to assert if the figure is accurate as I don't see the point of carrying a full tank of fuel around.  The best figure I've had is 80 mpg coming up the M6 through Cheshire ( on the inside lane, HGV speeds)

Much of my driving is motorway, and I generally do around 60 mph. Just took delivery of my new Sport Nav and expected a reduction but straight away I'm getting 60 mpg on the readout.

Very strange, Dave doesn't see the need to fill the tank..?, as for 60mpg, yes, of course you'll see 60mpg on the instantaneous readout if you're going downhill with your foot off the pedal, but you're kidding yourself if you believe you're actually getting 60 miles of driving out of every gallon...

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:24 pm »
  The best figure I've had is 80 mpg coming up the M6 through Cheshire ( on the inside lane, HGV speeds)

!!!!!!!

Something smells a little bit fishy here. 

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »
I can confirm that it is possible to see these kinds of MPG figures (see my post from 21 Aug on page 4 of this thread). I saw 87.5 MPG but that was over only 18 miles of the relatively flat M3 on cruise control in the 50mph average speed limit check section the whole time. I saw over 60 MPG for the remainder of that one journey but it was ALL careful motorway driving. (I can post pics of those figures in the average consumption display!!!)

My indicated average over the the time I've owned the car (c3,400 miles now) I would guess is around 38 MPG and the calculated average based on brimming the tank is 36 MPG. I do quite a lot of short commuter journeys during the week though.

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2016, 09:08:38 am »
I can confirm that it is possible to see these kinds of MPG figures (see my post from 21 Aug on page 4 of this thread). I saw 87.5 MPG but that was over only 18 miles of the relatively flat M3 on cruise control in the 50mph average speed limit check section the whole time. I saw over 60 MPG for the remainder of that one journey but it was ALL careful motorway driving. (I can post pics of those figures in the average consumption display!!!)

My indicated average over the the time I've owned the car (c3,400 miles now) I would guess is around 38 MPG and the calculated average based on brimming the tank is 36 MPG. I do quite a lot of short commuter journeys during the week though.

Cheers Ant.

I had my first CX for three years and 68,000 miles. My commute to work is 25 miles, of which 20 is motorway driving, and on the M62 at 7 in the morning and 5 at night it's a steady 55 to 60 MPH on the inside lane, pointless trying anything else as outside lane tailgate driving isn't my idea of fun.

Business travel is up and down the M6, again I take it easy at it's always busy through Cheshire and Staffs, It's interesting to see the progress of the BMW drivers in the outside lane, brake lights on and off like a strobe light , and they don't seem to make much progress. When driving around town I've never had less than 50 MPG on the readout, and as I mentioned, my total average is around the 60 MPG on the readout.

Reading the comments, I think I'll do a brim check and see how the data matches up.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:27 am »
As has been mentioned previously, be careful because the trip computer is consistently 2-3 MPG higher than the true measured figure.

For mine, the figures after almost 10k miles stack up as:-
Average MPG 43.99 over 9727 miles
Best average MPG on a single tankful 49.48
Best MPG on a single trip 54 over 345 miles (Leicestershire to Kent, almost all motorway), got my first 500+ miles between fill ups on the same journey.
Average cost/mile £0.13 (always using Shell V power fuel)

Alan

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:40 am »

Very strange, Dave doesn't see the need to fill the tank..?, as for 60mpg, yes, of course you'll see 60mpg on the instantaneous readout if you're going downhill with your foot off the pedal, but you're kidding yourself if you believe you're actually getting 60 miles of driving out of every gallon...

Very rarely, unless I'm driving long haul such as holidays, I usually put about £30 worth in.If I'm going downhill with my foot off the pedal my readout will show 99 MPG!
I know another CX owner who reckons his fuel consumption isn't so good, but then he has a 4WD version.  I've never had less than 50 MPG, but then rarely go over 65MPG.

Offline Catamong

• Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2016, 09:06:40 pm »
Interesting, you clearly have a very unique driving style, perhaps you could share your secrets with us..?

I too have a 2WD Manual version, which I bought new in May 2014.

Since that time I have done 33,269 miles to date and used 859.3 gallons of Diesel, which by my maths equates to 39.13 mpg.

The trip computer will typically read around 43 mpg, but, as others have observed, it always over-reads by about 10%, which brings my actual mpg down to pretty much what I have calculated, i.e. just under 40 mpg.

Be very wary about relying on your onboard gizmos when it comes to fuel consumption..!

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
Interesting, you clearly have a very unique driving style, perhaps you could share your secrets with us..?

I too have a 2WD Manual version, which I bought new in May 2014.

Since that time I have done 33,269 miles to date and used 859.3 gallons of Diesel, which by my maths equates to 39.13 mpg.

The trip computer will typically read around 43 mpg, but, as others have observed, it always over-reads by about 10%, which brings my actual mpg down to pretty much what I have calculated, i.e. just under 40 mpg.

Be very wary about relying on your onboard gizmos when it comes to fuel consumption..!

No secret really, just common sense. As previously mentioned,  much of my travel is steady motorway driving at HGV speeds.

An advanced driving instructor told me to imagine I had an egg between my foot and the accelerator for smooth speed change. Anticipate the road ahead so brake use is minimal, and don't accelerate when going uphill, that's thirsty and wasteful.

Once the engine has run in I'll do a pump check, and see how the figures match.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2016, 12:13:10 pm »
If anyone wants to kelp keep others informed, you can add to HJ's collective real MPG data here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/cx-5-2012

Alan

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »
As has been mentioned previously, be careful because the trip computer is consistently 2-3 MPG higher than the true measured figure.

For mine, the figures after almost 10k miles stack up as:-
Average MPG 43.99 over 9727 miles
Best average MPG on a single tankful 49.48
Best MPG on a single trip 54 over 345 miles (Leicestershire to Kent, almost all motorway), got my first 500+ miles between fill ups on the same journey.
Average cost/mile £0.13 (always using Shell V power fuel)

Alan

I've recently managed to do a brim to brim, mainly motorway and so far only one tank full.

Unfortunately you was correct with the average read out being out, mine read around 2.5mpg high over the tank full:(
I'm going to do another brim to brim but this time over my usual usage short local trips, at lower speeds, if that works out the same I'll know my error, and I'll do another in summer when towing.

All on supermarket fuel.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »