Author Topic: Tyre manufacturer  (Read 59951 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Tyre manufacturer
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:49:18 pm »
OK, so the standard make for the CX5 is the Toyo Proxes R36 (225/55 R19 99V, in my case). Going to need some new fronts soon, and am seriously struggling to find anyone who stocks these (although I'm sure they can be ordered) or who can offer an alternative make.

Any recommendations?

Offline BigAl

Re: Tyre manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »
Well, that's worrying. Apparently, there aren't any alternatives to the Toyo standard tyres (unless you drop to a H rated version) and I've just been told they are on back order with Toyo. Not expected in the UK until end of April!!! Cheapest quote so far is just over £300 for the two. Kwik Fit want £460!

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:00 pm »
ouch that's gunna hurt we have done 10k+ now I wonder how far we can get on ours?, I will ask my tyre guru and get back to you.

2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline BigAl

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
Found a Mazda dealer today in Derby that had one in stock (I need three). Offered it for........ £240 inc VAT fitted! Have posted question on Toyo's Facebook page (generally a good way to get a quick response - it works with Mazda as well) about poor availability, they've promised to come back to me ASAP. Watch this space...

Offline BigAl

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:41 pm »
Aah, the power of social media...

After doing my best to embarrass both Mazda and Toyo on their respective Facebook pages over the last few days, I had a call from Mazda UK HQ this morning. Long story short - they have sourced a budget Y rated tyre that they have approved for use with the 19 inch wheels and have arranged for three to be supplied and fitted on Monday. Free of charge. Just to keep me on the road until the proper Toyo's eventually arrive at the end of April. I call that a result.  :)

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:31:34 pm »
Yep I'd call that a result........ But you are now on their radar and they won't fall for the same trick twice.

Hopefully nothing far more serious and consequentially far more expensive befalls you. 

Offline BigAl

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
Not so sure about that? This is the third time I've locked horns with Mazda UK regarding issues with the car and they're still talking to me. The hard part is actually getting to talk to someone in the first place. Once you do they aren't too bad. Using social media like FB and Twitter to get a faster response is a tactic that my son (who does web development) taught me - it does appear to work.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 02:15:22 pm »
Nice one, wondering what happens with TPMS when changing tyres? do dealers fit anything new?

Offline BigAl

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »
As I had a new one fitted last year, due to an accident (hence needing three now), I know what happens...

Picked the car up from the repairers, went out, started it, TPMS light promptly came on. Went back in, their engineer said it needed resetting. He did that, but it came on again after about 5 miles. So I reset it myself (procedure is in the manual). Did it again about 20 miles later and again about 50 miles after that. It hasn't lit up since, so I assume it takes a while to settle itself.

I must remember to look up how those systems work...

Offline BigAl

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »
Woohoo. New shoes. Three new Sonar SX-9 225/55 R19 Y's fitted by Mazda Tamworth yesterday. Have only had to reset TPMS four times so far... Definitely noisier than the Toyos's, but at least I can go out in the wet now  :)

Offline howardsathome

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
This could be quite a problem. Most people in the trade will have little knowledge of the TPMS system. It works from the ABS rev counting. It is a simple system as you do not require trick valves in the rim with electronic sensors. However, the software is critical. It took many attempts to arrive at a programme that could define the difference in revs wheel by wheel, allow for turning corners (therefore the differential effect/ rotational speed) and set limits for 1 or more tyres being low on pressure. This then indicates on the INFO screen as an initial warning, or urgent action required. Any change in tyre brand or spec can be within the strict EU tyre diameter limits, but still be enough to cause TPMS to have a problem. I have previously always checked tyre pressure regularly. When I did this on the CX-5 after a couple of weeks I got into the TPMS reset joy. I am now letting the system do it for me. Time will tell. Hope the mixed fitments you have on at present work out ok for you.
I have seen a very large temporary spare at my Mazda Dealer that another user had purchased! That is another subject, the good news is that we are covered under the warranty for roadside breakdown. At least for 3 years anyway. The sealant/compressor systems do work, but not something you would like to do at the roadside, except if you were really stranded. Having said that the compressor is handy. Enough for now. 

Offline BigAl

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:25 pm »
Thanks, Howard. That saved me investigating how TPMS works - what you said corresponds to what my colleague (total petrolhead) said. As before, it's settled itself after the initial resets - will see how a drive to Hatfield and back tomorrow goes.

On another note, as part for the "embarrass Mazda into doing something" campaign last week, I've been contacted by What Car who want to do a piece on the tyre shortage problem as a follow up to the one on windscreens.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »
Finally.....

Now have four new Toyo's fitted courtesy of my friendly local tyre fitter. Half worn Toyo will be kept as a "spare" just in case of a total failure at some point. Remaining three Sonars will be (probably) going on eBay as they have only done a couple of thousand miles.

The article that What Car have done on the tyre fiasco is going in June's issue. Unfortunately, they included a picture of me as well (you have been warned... :o)

Alan

Offline rmvf

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53:39 pm »
Al,

how many miles did you get on your original toyo,s mate I will get my replacements a good few months in advance.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 09:01:37 am »
They did about 35000 miles and were pretty much down to the indicators. The fronts were slightly worse than the rears.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 09:01:37 am »