Author Topic: Wi-Fi hotspot - some info pls (Nav users only, not related to bluetooth issues)  (Read 68955 times)

Offline courgette

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
 :D On the subject of 'live' traffic services when not connected to your wifi hotspot, the traffic will show delay and accidents through the traffic information fed to it by FM Radio updates. If you go to traffic and the number of updates is under 100, you are not connected to live traffic through your wifi hotspot. If you are connected, the number of traffic incidents will be in the hundreds.
Regarding fuel prices, check that you have set it up via the appropriate setting. I think it is in the traffic setting. You have to specify what type you want for example petrol or diesel and the grade required. I always seem to receive prices when I try it, but they seem about 2 months out of date to me.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
I couldn't remember if I had set the fuel type, but just been and checked and I had.  Only allows me to choose from Diesel, Premium Diesel and Bio Diesel - correctly as it's a diesel model.  Just tried it again and all I get is 'no items' - total mystery.  Weather is fine and there are 100's of traffic items so connected services is working - just not for fuel prices.  No big deal but I hate mysteries like this.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
I can get both petrol and diesel prices.

I'll check out the number of traffic items when I get chance, I don't have much data left for this month.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:52:38 pm by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Well, the latest from Mazda UK regarding the wi-fi issues has finally trickled in...

They now reckon that the issue has been tracked to an interconnect cable in the system which can pick up interference and therefore needs to be replaced with a shielded version of the same cable. It's obviously something that was already known as it's a stock part, so I'm waiting a call from the dealer to get it changed. If it was known, however, why did they not tell the dealer previously rather than having them replace the CMU twice?  ::)

At least they were very apologetic about it and have promised "compensation" for the inconvenience. However, I still can't help thinking that it won't be the end of the issue(s)...

Alan

Offline xtrailman

I can get both petrol and diesel prices.

I'll check out the number of traffic items when I get chance, I don't have much data left for this month.

I've had another look today and using live traffic definatly gave a lot more traffic incidents, so that's confirmed thanks.
also it looks like i can only get diesel prices (this may have changed since the update to software?), although i do get the option of three types.

Offline xtrailman

Well, the latest from Mazda UK regarding the wi-fi issues has finally trickled in...

They now reckon that the issue has been tracked to an interconnect cable in the system which can pick up interference and therefore needs to be replaced with a shielded version of the same cable. It's obviously something that was already known as it's a stock part, so I'm waiting a call from the dealer to get it changed. If it was known, however, why did they not tell the dealer previously rather than having them replace the CMU twice?  ::)

At least they were very apologetic about it and have promised "compensation" for the inconvenience. However, I still can't help thinking that it won't be the end of the issue(s)...

Alan

Mazda are good at compensation but i'd rather not have issues to start with, i have to say having had 4 nissans i had no where near the same bugs, but to be fair they didn't have as much tech.

Offline BigAl

However, I still can't help thinking that it won't be the end of the issue(s)...

Alan

Mazda contacted the dealer today to discuss this. They - politely - pointed out to Mazda that the shielded cable is replaced WITH the CMU anyway. Exit Mazda, stage left, with tail between legs... ;D ;D ;D

Back to square one.

Alan

Offline xtrailman

you need to speak to Yan i think it was in MZD technical Germany.

He or they actually know all there is to know IME, when Mazda CS put me through to them chap i spoke too once i told him the very long saga with my phone not connecting reliably immediatly said it wasn't the phone at fault but the module. I even got a case number.

Still Mazda CS insisted on yet another software update which made things worst, in that it dropped the connection even more (511), along with more testing.
It reached the stage where i bluntly told them that after 25 years working in maintenance if i hadn't changed a part by now then questions about my competence would be asked.

Since the module was replaced which is for BT and wi-fi etc, my phone has connected everytime.
You need to start getting a little more assertive perhaps?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:26:02 am by xtrailman »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
The number you want is +49 (0)2173 943121 which is located in Leverkusen in the north of Germany. Office hours are Mo - Fr 08:00 - 18:00
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

Alan are you aware of a TSB for wifi drop out?

HERE

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Year: 2022
Xtrailman, thank you for this interesting document.

I experience the problems as mentioned in the TSB, with one exception however : my wifi can make contact with my home-network, only when I am parked very near to my wifi-modem....
It is however not possible to connect to any other (open or not) network; the system finds a lot of these (when nearby) but is then unable to make a connection (network failure; not even possible to enter a password. 

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
Anybody knows where the CMU is located?

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
Problems (DHCP error, Network error) solved.

Got the Navigation unit changed (free of charge); system now detects ánd can connect to a dozen of Hotspots. Once connected the systems asks if I would like to have Weather info, Traffic info etc.

Strangely enough the cable was not replaced, only the navigation unit? The whole operation took some 30 mins, but then I told my workshop that I would upgrade the OS myself (as I had applied the AIO tweaks with effect on the NAV-card).

For those interested : the CMU resides within the navigation unit.

Thanks Xtrailman : your TSB was very helpful as my workshop said they had never heard of this problem before.

Offline BigAl

Alan are you aware of a TSB for wifi drop out?

HERE

Have had a look at that and will check it with the dealer, but none of the symptoms there seem to match my problem. I have no trouble picking up the networks in the first place, it's just that - having connected and logged in - the system won't then connect automatically next time (unless its done withing a couple of hours). So I have to log in again, which creates a new version of the same network. After this happens 20 times, the system locks up until you delete the previous instances.

As a further test, my dealer let me use a new CX3 (with the same version of MZD) last weekend for a couple of days to see if the same thing happens. It does and - conversely - they were able to connect one of their phones to my CX5 and leave it overnight. It connected the following day without issue. That suggests that the problem is down to the phone rather than the car, despite it being listed as a compatible phone.

Alan

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
Mazda's 'Phone Compatibility list' isn't really that useful for Android phones.  It states the phone but not the Operating System version (eg: Lollypop, etc) and it is often changes here that cause problems.

I originally had the phone disconnect problem (and the phone was on the compatible list) but in my case it got fixed by an Android update that suddenly arrived.

The compatibility list also shows for the Samsung S6 that for 'Messaging' it says,

not supported Email - Receive Message
    not compatible Email - Notification

yet both of these work fine - in fact better than I expected as it'll read the email to me.

It's a shame that they've not sorted all the gremlins (which clearly irritate many of us) out with the MZD connect system as the car itself is just excellent.

Mazda CX-5 Forums