Author Topic: Wi-Fi hotspot - some info pls (Nav users only, not related to bluetooth issues)  (Read 69766 times)

Offline vbl

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Sold my CX5 2014 last week and got CX5 2016. Absolutely livid having found out that the only way to get Traffic and Camera live is via WiFi. I do not want to have my phone on WiFi connection, never use it for anything apart from making calls and texting nor do I wish to change that. Good job I kept my Garmin with Lifetime updates on maps, traffic and cameras. If this car was not so superb otherwise and if it did not cost me as near to unmentionable amount in front of hubby, for two pins I would rip out sat nav system and install something else. I drive thousands of miles in Europe every year and traffic and camera info is so important to me.
So fuming I can hardly talk....

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Alan are you aware of a TSB for wifi drop out?

HERE

Have had a look at that and will check it with the dealer, but none of the symptoms there seem to match my problem. I have no trouble picking up the networks in the first place, it's just that - having connected and logged in - the system won't then connect automatically next time (unless its done withing a couple of hours). So I have to log in again, which creates a new version of the same network. After this happens 20 times, the system locks up until you delete the previous instances.

As a further test, my dealer let me use a new CX3 (with the same version of MZD) last weekend for a couple of days to see if the same thing happens. It does and - conversely - they were able to connect one of their phones to my CX5 and leave it overnight. It connected the following day without issue. That suggests that the problem is down to the phone rather than the car, despite it being listed as a compatible phone.

Alan

I have two HTC 510 phones one is the wife's on PAYG, this phone was using data even with out the mobile data selected, just the odd pence usually but then suddenly larger amounts, data was never on.

Tesco sent me a new sim card but the problem persisted, eventually despite being reimbursed i insisted the phone be look at. So it was sent away.

It came back having been reflashed and since then has never used any data in the data off position. So what i'm suggesting is you get yours reflashed, it might just sort out the issue?
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Transmission: Manual
I don't think you need WiFi for speed camera information - at least not in the UK (I've not driven abroad in my CX-5 yet). I get camera warnings reliably with no WiFi connection. I believe the camera info comes with the nav software and doesn't rely on WiFi.  I know this doesn't solve the traffic issue however.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
Just to add to what Ant said, the speed camera warning works fine in Spain (without the need for WiFi) as well.  France apparently don't allow it so you'll get none while there anyway.

Offline xtrailman

You do get some traffic anyway even with out wifi. You only lose the weather and fuel which has very little value IMO.
 I use a BBC app and have fuel updates on my computer.

I will be using my wifi however once we start caravanning, or doing long runs.

Offline djabz

• Delighted with my CX-5
Just to add to the original topic, my wifi is still pretty inconsistent and more often does not connect rather than connect. I use both an iPhone 6 and an EE Kite to check the settings and both experience the same non-connection issues. Dealer is well aware of this and last week the software was upgraded to v.512, still no regular wifi connection. Visit 5 to dealer is around the corner . . . Incidentally, no issues with our Mazda 2 Sport so define toy a Cx-5 problem ????

Offline xtrailman

You need your wifi/bt module changing, since mine was changed my bt connects everytime.

I believe the module is called a CMU, i know for show it does both the wifi and BT comms as it says so on the box.
It took me numerous visits and two software updates before the dealer was authorised by Mazda to change it.

Offline djabz

• Delighted with my CX-5
Xtrailman, thanks for your comments. From all the comments on this forum from yourself and many others, it is obvious to you, forum members and myself that the solution is indeed a replacement CMU , alas the dealer/Mazda are consistent in thinking otherwise, sigh, sigh, sigh. Eventually it will be sorted I am sure . . .

Offline xtrailman

Xtrailman, thanks for your comments. From all the comments on this forum from yourself and many others, it is obvious to you, forum members and myself that the solution is indeed a replacement CMU , alas the dealer/Mazda are consistent in thinking otherwise, sigh, sigh, sigh. Eventually it will be sorted I am sure . . .

Mazda to be fair have a point.

Alan has i believe had a replacement CMU twice now, and is on the latest 512 software, but STILL has wifi problems, i believe.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Alan has i believe had a replacement CMU twice now, and is on the latest 512 software, but STILL has wifi problems, i believe.

True. And I'm getting to the stage where I'm being fobbed off by Mazda because they no longer know what to do about it...

Alan

Offline xtrailman

Then i would ask for a phone to be provided, or a new car.

Offline djabz

• Delighted with my CX-5
A further little update for those (many) CX5 owners still encountering wifi connection issues. My car is back in again today and there is a further software update available. Version 513 was released on 18 April . . . technicians still working away so sill update when more information is available.

Offline djabz

• Delighted with my CX-5
Well, software upgraded to version 513 and still issues. Arnold Clark technicians were then in contact with Mazda UK who asked lots of questions then agreed something wasn't right ???????????? Mazda and Arnold Clark to discuss further with the likihoof a replacement CMU being supplied . . .

Further updates to follow

Offline djabz

• Delighted with my CX-5
After more investigations, with suggestion from dealer of 'what Mazda say' , I contacted Mazda UK Customer Services and was most impressed with their service.

CMU was replaced yesterday and thus far, all is working as it should. Here's hoping that this issue is now resolved  :)

I would suggest that any other forum members with CMU issues consider direct contact with Mazda UK who appear well versed on the issue.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
As already mentioned on this forum, my CMU was also replaced... (free of charge!): WiFi hotspot functions 100% now.

Xtrailman published the corresponding TSB here.

I understand from my workshop that all "old" CMU's are refurbished in Holland (an RF-shield added, and a software upgrade which cannot be done by your dealer). 

I am very pleased with the behaviour of Mazda Belgium. 

However, in the mean time another problem appeared : white milky stains in both headlights, a manufacturing error.  It took Mazda Belgium some time (in Germany Mazda GmbH reacted immediately) but my dealer finally got the authorization to change both headlights. I understand this is a costly operation, some 1.200 EUR per headlight. Same problem in the US and Canada.... the supplier of the headlights is the same company.

Again, very pleased with my CX-5 : proven problems are being solved by Mazda.

Mazda CX-5 Forums