Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 133748 times)

Offline rmvf

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 06:33:20 pm »
I use collinite 762s,  today I gave the windscreen a good dose of rainx
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:57 pm »

The car looks great Cornish! Do you have any products in particular that you'd recommend on Soul Red (waxes etc)?
I might have to copy your mods - the led drl's and number plate lights look very nice.  Do you have a link to ebay for the drl bulbs that you got?

James

I'm a member over at detailingworld and have what must be £200 worth of detailing products already - the Audi that preceded this was silver, so my collection is mostly sealant rather than wax. I've seen the HD wax gets a good rep over there so it might be time to try it when I give the Mazda a good detail!

eBay links:

eBay DRL P13W Bulbs
EDIT - Possible caveat for you Cornish, someone correct me if I'm wrong but the P13W bulbs are only for cars with factory Xenon headlights - the halogen models use the same bulb for DRL and main beam (a H11 bulb, I think). It's not possible to replace this bulb with LED as you'd lose the main beam functionality. The Sport variant of the facelift model uses full LED lighting for headlights/DRL.

eBay CX-5 Number Plate LED Fittings

...and a new one for today, sidelight (W5W) LED bulbs!

eBay W5W LED Sidelight Bulbs
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:35:14 pm by RichardCX5 »
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:08 am »
Didn't I read somewhere that 4X4's - even lookalike ones - are supposed to always look dirty?  ;) ;) ;)
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:27 am »
I buy silver so i don't need to wash the car for around 5 weeks, its filthy at the moment so i fit the profile for a AWD.  :o

When i was young i would do all manner of things to the love of my life a Mk1 Cortina, including changing the engine twice and the gearbox once, along with all the suspension.  :)

And i paid half the cost of my first car just on a 8 track Motorola stereo.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:23:54 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ColinX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
Had 1 year service today cost would have been £199 except I took the 3 service deal at £299, now that is what I call a bargain . 
First service on the 2013 model at the same dealer was £176 .

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
Didn't I read somewhere that 4X4's - even lookalike ones - are supposed to always look dirty?  ;) ;) ;)

Perhaps that makes mine the ultimate contradiction - mudflaps, front/rear under guards - and 2WD! Perhaps FWD/AWD is the cutoff between clean/muddy :)

I buy silver so i don't need to wash the car for around 5 weeks, its filthy at the moment so i fit the profile for a AWD.  :o

When i was young i would do all manner of things to the love of my life a Mk1 Cortina, including changing the engine twice and the gearbox once, along with all the suspension.  :)

And i paid half the cost of my first car just on a 8 track Motorola stereo.

That sounds very familiar. I'm hoping buying this Mazda marks the end of my 'I like the car, therefore it MUST be worthy of all the money I'm spending on it' thinking - hence spending £1300 over two years keeping a £1000 (on a good day) car on the road!
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:15 pm »
Had 1 year service today cost would have been £199 except I took the 3 service deal at £299, now that is what I call a bargain . 
First service on the 2013 model at the same dealer was £176 .

Some have paid £257 just for the 3rd service.

I got the same £300 deal after a long wait.  :D
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 11:07:05 pm »
Nowt wrong with having mudflaps all round on any car, the amount of crap on majority of roads especially in winter it's worth it, having said that not putting them on new cx5 just yet, managed to negotiate  3 years servicing thrown in so long as I take both cx 5s to dealer for service. Also first one had diamonbrite treatment but new one will be G3 which I've not heard off before, anyway rubber chequered plate mats delivered today,  very interested in Led bulbs having just about converted everything in the house. So I might upgrade the old model, will be interesting  to compare how good these Led are on face-lift,  will be able to put side by side somewhere pitch black, lol,

Offline Deeps

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 02:58:26 pm »
Me again! Fitted LED number plate lights today:

Please don't interpret this post as being in any way critical - each to his own I say - but could you tell me the the point of laying out the cost for something that you personally are never going to see; leaving out periodic checking of course?
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline rmvf

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »
I suppose it would be to finish the lookout it if most of rest of car has LED bulbs, speaking of seeing them I guess doing the interior, like you say each to the own and some folk like to pamper the motors, some treat them the same way as a washing machine, lmao I've dissuaded myself from putting the front and rear bumper garnish on the new one and painting calipers on the current one.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »
Me again! Fitted LED number plate lights today:

Please don't interpret this post as being in any way critical - each to his own I say - but could you tell me the the point of laying out the cost for something that you personally are never going to see; leaving out periodic checking of course?

It's constructive criticism - perhaps you should be my financial advisor! :D I guess there's an element of pampering your motor as rmvf says; it's nice to know you've done something nice to your car even if you can't see it, and even if it's something small it's different to most other cars. The number plate LEDs also light up the area behind the car nicely when it's dark - however pointless that is! :)

Offline Deeps

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:48 am »

It's constructive criticism - perhaps you should be my financial advisor!

Acting in the capacity of your new financial advisor then my first recommendation would be that you start saving up for unplanned for oil changes which still appear to be a bit of a bane even with the later models. Yet another firmware update is due in the near future I gather.
In the first part I'm obviously joking; in the second, not so sadly.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 06:08:16 pm »

It's constructive criticism - perhaps you should be my financial advisor!

Acting in the capacity of your new financial advisor then my first recommendation would be that you start saving up for unplanned for oil changes which still appear to be a bit of a bane even with the later models. Yet another firmware update is due in the near future I gather.
In the first part I'm obviously joking; in the second, not so sadly.

You're doing a terrible job as my financial advisor Deeps - I've been that oil change spending money again!
This time it's speakers! I've been overall pretty impressed with the stock Bose sound system, but have read lots online about changing the cheap paper cone speakers to further improve the sound quality. This weekend I decided to tackle the dashboard speakers. The stock speakers aren't bad by my ear, but a lack of tweeters in the CX-5's speakers means there's a lack of high-end sound, so I decided to start there.

Here's a comparison of the stock Bose speaker and the JBL I bought to replace it. I'd rather have bought the Polk Audio or Kicker 3.5 inch speakers that are raved about over the pond but I couldn't source them without doubling the cost in delivery charges. The JBL speaker has a much larger cone and magnet, and has a built-in tweeter.

I'm sure this picture might make any audiophiles amongst us cringe! I desoldered the connector from the stock speaker as I didn't want to have to cut or splice any car wiring looms, and made connections to standard spade terminals using speaker cable. Nothing too complicated really, even for someone as ham-fisted as me!

And here we are ready to go! The speaker fitted with no drama, save for having to be mounted 'upside-down'. The difference is sound quality is huge even with these relatively inexpensive speakers, with much more clarity than the stock sound system.
At some point I might change the centre speaker, along with the D-pillar and rear doors but this is a nice upgrade for now.

Offline Silver Bullet

• What is it with BMW drivers ??
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 06:09:31 pm »
Decided to order the stainless steel under garnish kit from eBay China, 

Hi Cornish CX5, I do like the under garnish kit where / how did you find it listed on eBay.

I've typed in all sorts of CX5 searches on eBay but the only kits that come up are from Petch.. 

I would appreciate a link or maybe the company web address if you have it.

Thanks..

Offline Cornish CX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:55 pm »
Hi silver bullet. 
It doesn't seem to come up on all searches.  No company address just an eBay listing.   eBay link
Delivery was surprisingly quick and they were easy to fit, plus easier on the pocket than the mazda ones. 

James

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:55 pm »