Author Topic: It had to happen...  (Read 15146 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
It had to happen...
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:00 am »
On my way to an appointment in Manchester yesterday, the oil pressure warning light comes on between M6 J19 and 20. No check engine light, so carried on to Lymm services. Gave it 15 minutes to settle and checked oil - level was about 1/2 way between the upper hole and the X mark. Rang dealer for advice, they were pretty sure it was OK to drive, but couldn't guarantee it (obviously). They suggested to ring Mazda assist, which I did. They decided to treat it as a recovery (rather than diagnose on the spot), picked me up about 70 minutes later and took me back to the dealer in Derby, and Mazda also arranged a replacement car through Enterprise. Took the dealer about 10 minutes to confirm it was oil dilution as suspected (oil quality is monitored and indicated by the low oil pressure light as well), so I could have driven it back... Better safe than sorry, though. Oil and filter change done this morning, which is a pain as its booked in for its 25k service on 8th August. Never had this happen with previous CX5 over the 72k miles/3yrs I had it, so it might be due to me having done more short journeys over the last few months.

Firmware also being updated to 56.00.513

Alan

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: It had to happen...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
Most of my driving is short journeys.

I also tow which i'm told will create more soot, i cover no more than 7K miles a year.
My thinking is the oil should be changed every 7K miles, as i've never had a warning light up, and run 99% on supermarket fuel usually Tesco.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:37:09 pm »
I know it's a different model and many years ago but when I ran a diesel I changed the oil every 6k, mainly due to believing that having good oil will only reduce the risk of oil / engine related problems, but another reason was I could tell that the oil quality had deteriorated. I know oils have come on in that time but even if oil was dropped every 6k without filter change its still better than what's been recommended now, I can't believe that some models of cars have 20k service intervals
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Fangface

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:44:25 am »
Just had to have the car in for a second oil and filter change between services.  First one was at around 8000 miles, had a normal service at 12500 and it has just needed it again at 19000 after the oil warning light came on.  Once again oil level reading high and the problem being diesel and ash contamination in the oil.  Replaced under warranty but I suspect that once it hits 3 years I am going to have to do either a full or partial change half way between services.

Interestingly when I called Mazda Assistance (after speaking to the dealer) they said it was ok to drive as long as the level wasn't above the X on the dipstick and it seemed like a common problem.

Offline zimby99

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:26 am »
Just reading all the posts re "oil warning light" on a CX 5.  Driving to work last week the oil light oil illuminated on my late 2015 CX 5 2.2 TD (16000 Miles on the clock only 5000 since the last service). Called Mazda assistance, they said they were aware of this issue and told me that as long as the level is not above X mark it was ok to drive but contact my local dealership ASAP.  They also said that this was caused by dilution of the oil with diesel.
Called my local dealership and drove  the 2 miles to drop it down. According to Mazda dealership this was a quick fix but they have now given me a rental car while they "fix my car".
Looking at all the forums regarding this it seems pretty suspect. Even if they changed the oil and filter I would suspect the damage has already been done to the engine with the dilution of the oil.
Any thoughts on this most appreciated.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:57 am »
I didnt think that this was much of a problem on later cx5s such as yours. Had you been doing more short runs than usual? They will obviously do an extra oil change but i wonder if there is another software update or instances of later cars doing too many regens so they want to keep it for a while and have given you a courtesy car. If it hasnt had diluted oil before its unlikely to have done any damage. Let us know what they say when you get it back.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »
Just had 4 year service and mot (bit expensive £375) and they said that there was a dpf software upgrade to be done. I quizzed him what it is for and he seems to think that it should do less regens now but he didn't really have any details anyone else had this latest update and what did your service advisor say it did.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:10 pm »