Author Topic: Mechanical and visual modifications to the CX-5  (Read 45997 times)

Offline RogB

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Re: Mechanical and visual modifications to the CX-5
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 07:58:30 am »
brilliant  :)
cheers for the info, thankyou

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 10:53:04 am »
I have replaced the running lamp bulbs and the boot light bulb with LEDs. The original boot lamp is a joke as you cannot see anything. The LED is the same wattage so is really effective.
When I checked the price of the running lamp bulbs I decided they should go. A pair of LEDs were cheaper than one normal bulb! They are brighter as well.
I got some nice rubber mats for winter use and now use them all the time. Far more practical.
Only other addition was a set of mud flaps. Easy to fit and keep the lower rear much cleaner.

Offline RogB

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »
which LED bulbs did you get for the DRL please Mike (I assume you have the ones built into the headlight unit )
Also which bulb for the boot ?
Im wanting to change the sidelight bulbs to LED as well as DRL so im guessing access is via the wheel arches for both bulbs ?

TIA

RogB

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 05:05:17 pm »
I'd be keen to change the boot bulb as well, if I knew which LED to buy

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 06:51:40 pm »
I'd be keen to change the boot bulb as well, if I knew which LED to buy

im certainly up for that aswell
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:42 pm »
I think the bootlamp is a 28mm festoon type. I did change the bulb in my CX-5’s boot for an LED and it was a big improvement over the standard bulb. Mazda also do a boot lighting upgrade kit.

Might be worth having a look at this thread:

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=265.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:11:07 pm by Ant »

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 11:18:36 am »
Thanks for that Ant, helpful link. Am worried about frying the electrics just by changing a bulb so will probably leave the boot as it is. I've managed with it like that for four years anyway.

Offline Gclark87

• CX5 2.0 Owner
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 02:00:29 pm »
Just unplug the bulb holder before removing bulb to minimise and chance of shorting and damaging the rear body control module. There is a tech briefing from Mazda online about it used by their workshop staff.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »
Perhaps a few members will find this interesting reading. I've copied it from another forum (caravan) of which I am a member and just to put it into some perspective, the topic concerns towbar electrics but like most forum posts nowadays, the subject matter wonders off from time to time.  ;D ;D ;D

Many modern vehicles use traditional circuits, CAN Bus circuits and Multiplexed circuits all at the same time. 

To expose and detail common totally incorrect marketing ploy is the so called "Can Bus Compatible" after market replacement LED light replacements.

Not only are these illegal in the UK (read the small print of many more reputable suppliers, like Halfords etc, where they will state "not road legal / for public road use, etc") but they have nothing to do with CAN BUS compatibility.  CAN BUS is a communications protocol.  For a PC/Tablet/Smart Phone.... analogy think USB.  The real truth is that most modern vehicles have "bulb failure" detection systems.  In almost all cases these systems monitor the expected current to be drawn by a light bulb.  In reality the system (non intelligent) just looks for a moderate current.  When people fit LEDs the expected moderate current falls below the normal expected filament bulb value and the vehicle system throws a bulb failure.

To get around this the so called "CAN Bus compatible"  LED replacement bulbs have internal dummy loads to fool the current sensing circuits of the car.  This has NOTHING to do with CAN Bus etc. etc.

Remember - CAN Bus is a communications protocol for intelligent devices / nodes in a vehicle.  To my knowledge there has not been, or is, an LED light replacement unit/bulb that has a CAN Bus interface/computer integrated into the unit for commercial automotive use.

HOWEVER!!!! - One can have a CAN Bus rear light cluster/node.  This will vade the usual side light, braking, fog, reversing etc. lights but instead of these lights being fed with switched power via the switches on the dashboard instead the switches send a low power on/off signal to the vehicles Body Computer/Node.  This on/off signal (say for the brake light) is digitally coded as a directed command (target and request) onto the vehicles CAN Bus (Network) where the target node (say rear left light cluster) receives and decodes the message "turn rear light on".  Dead easy to do, reduces manufacturing cabling cost, etc. etc.

Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 04:33:59 pm »
On my 2013 I replaced the DRLs with LEDs which are brighter but a pair cost less than a single standard bulb.
Most useful was replacing the boot light which could only be described as feeble. An LED with the same wattage now gives a really good light at night.

Offline Keith

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »
Thought I'd podt a picture of my wind deflectors for reference. They're ClimAir brand, not the cheapest but I had the same brand on my last car so stuck with them for the CX-5.

Hi, do these wind deflectors stop the woomf,woomf,woomf noise when you only have one rear window open?
Thanks,
               Keith.

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 03:38:08 pm »
It doesn’t woomf, woomf, woomf until the window is approx halfway down or further. Don’t know if that is the same as a CX-5 without deflectors.

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 03:55:49 pm »
which LED bulbs did you get for the DRL please Mike (I assume you have the ones built into the headlight unit )
Also which bulb for the boot ?
Im wanting to change the sidelight bulbs to LED as well as DRL so im guessing access is via the wheel arches for both bulbs ?

TIA

RogB

Sorry I never answered your questions before.
One of my running lamp LEDs failed. I found some which look better quality and are not so bright.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072XL5374/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The boot is a 28 mm festoon, widely available. No problem after 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:11:48 pm by MikeTB »

Offline baz2435

• Year: 2016
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:54 pm »
So recently made a few alterations to the CX5
It’s had a K&N panel  air filter for a while. First thing I buy for all my new cars.

I’ve just had a Quantum remap. Although not massive BHP 10-15% or Torque 5-10% gains overall drive ability has improved, a bit more punch through the range and better lower down the revs.

Also fitted some Eibach lowering springs. Nothing drastic, drop is about 30mm all around. Much improved ride and visually appealing to my eye. Wife hasn’t noticed friend who is a car nut noticed straight away.

Had a tow bar fitted too. That’s probably not the type of modification we’re discussing here.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:54 pm »