Author Topic: Wind noise from passenger wing mirror?  (Read 12458 times)

Offline Mazdaman

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2012
Wind noise from passenger wing mirror?
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:09 am »
I have recently bought a 2012 sport nav which I am very pleased with. However, there is an annoying wind noise which seems to be coming from the passenger wing mirror. This becomes more pronounced when reaching speeds of 55 mph and above. I have tried folding the mirrors in at these speeds and this does make a difference to the pitch and noise. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so have you found a fix for it ? 

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
Re: Wind noise from passenger wing mirror?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:05 am »
There is some wind noise from both mirrors, but the passenger one shouldn't be noticeably louder. Some loose trim maybe or maybe the window seal rather than the mirror?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
There have been issues with pre-facelift models of mirrors vibrating resulting in the noise that you describe. The issue has more often than not been resolved with Mazda replacing the mirrors for those fitted to the facelift models free of charge. In your case I would suggest that Mazda getting involved would be very much dependent upon what, if any, guarantee (Mazda or dealer offered) remains on the car. Either way it won't hurt you contacting the dealer advising that this is an issue known by Mazda and take it from there.

Incidentally, in a few instances replacement mirrors have also caused a few owners issues although this is limited to extension mirror use when towing. Owners have laid out a fair bit of money on very expensive extension mirrors only to find that they do not fit the new form that the facelift mirrors take.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Mazdaman

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I wil speak to my local dealer to see where I stand as there is no warranty left on my vehicle unfortunately.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:23:55 am »
Thank you for your advice. I wil speak to my local dealer to see where I stand as there is no warranty left on my vehicle unfortunately.

Always talk directly to Mazda UK if you get no joy, as dealers will often say that it's out of warranty just to get you off their backs. Mazda can, and will, cover items out of warranty if its a known issue, you do need to be persistent, though.

Alan

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:52 am »
Had a good run on motorway a few days ago and notice quiet bad wind noise, from the mirrors, this was also heightened  by the fact no radio on and the road surface was ultra smooth, also thought that side winds don't help
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:52 am »