Author Topic: Retro fit dab  (Read 10679 times)

Offline Darklordmick

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Retro fit dab
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:02:06 am »
I'm a bit of a tinkerer .... and I have to say I do miss my dab radio...

I've noticed the new model has a dab radio and was wondering if it is a straight(ish) swap..
I understand a new aerial would need to be installed ? Unless it'll work with existing

Thoughts please?

Offline Simon321456

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2014
Re: Retro fit dab
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:25 am »
I'm a bit of a tinkerer .... and I have to say I do miss my dab radio...

I've noticed the new model has a dab radio and was wondering if it is a straight(ish) swap..
I understand a new aerial would need to be installed ? Unless it'll work with existing

Thoughts please?

It will definitely need a new/additional aerial

When you say straight swap though, do you mean the entire head unit? Is that even possible? They're completely different dashboards and systems in the 2015 facelift, no?

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:06:30 am »
Mazda offered a retrofit DAB which worked through the USB connection. I had it fitted but it never worked properly. Most of the time it is not even accessible, and when it is the reception is very poor (I have another car with a basic DAB radio and it works much better in the same area).
It is no longer offered for the CX5 as they had so many problems, but if you search on Amazon there is a company in Europe offering a similar unit for about £140. They provide a range of software tweaks for different cars, and 2 of the options apparently work on the CX5.
I got the Mazda unit price refunded although it is still installed in case they come up with a solution.
Since then I found that there is a unit made by Dension available on Amazon. Turns out they supplied the Mazda unit but it is not the same as that on offer. They don't even know much about the Mazda unit.
From what I see elsewhere the bugs are probably in the USB connection rather than the add-on, based on other problems reported.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:29:44 pm by MikeTB »

Offline Hanahsdad

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »
I have fitted a Pure Highway 400 to my CX-5 today. I can say that the provided cabling is just enough to fit behind the window trim, down the door, under the cill, under the passenger seat and into the armrest usb and aux input. The sound quality is very good too. I'm still undecided where to put the small control/station display box at the moment so I have put it in the armrest storage at the moment.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »