Author Topic: DPF Regeneration  (Read 51473 times)

Offline Anchorman

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: DPF Regeneration
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 08:02:29 am »
I know exactly what you mean. I set the trip meter on the CX3 and it seemed to regen close to every 200 miles regardless of duty cycle. It would be helpful if they would give some indication and you could suspend or induce it as mine always seems to coincide with short trips rather than my mixed duty 23 mile journey to work.

It seems odd that every other country in the world have the option of the 2.5 petrol AWD auto. We don't???
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:50 am »
I'm given to believe that this is taken from the Mazda training manual.

Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 10:58:20 am »
It seems odd that every other country in the world have the option of the 2.5 petrol AWD auto. We don't???

I suspect that some of that is down to company car tax being based on a % of vehicle value, with % determined by CO2 emissions. That makes the 2.2 Diesel very tax efficient (the 150 and 175 versions have the same CO2 figure ???), probably the best in its class, and one of the main reasons why I'm on my second one (as a company car).

Alan

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 11:04:38 am »
I can only recall two occasions in 70K miles where I remember a DPF regen on by first CX5 and I've not seen one as yet on by second (currently 15K miles). I assume that they must be happening? However, I do tend to do at least one long round trip per week of at least 150 miles, so they must be happening at motorway speed in which case you'd not notice anyway?

Alan

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 12:54:32 pm »
I can only recall two occasions in 70K miles where I remember a DPF regen on by first CX5 and I've not seen one as yet on by second (currently 15K miles). I assume that they must be happening? However, I do tend to do at least one long round trip per week of at least 150 miles, so they must be happening at motorway speed in which case you'd not notice anyway?

Alan

Motorway running is probably the best for the engine and quite right, you won't notice the regens. They might be cheaper for CCT but mine is in private ownership and I would put up with the lower fuel efficiency of a petrol.

Offline routerunner

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 08:37:43 pm »
Why can't we have a DPF regen warning on the display?
Actually, there is a quite reliable way, discovered today. If you know that roughly every 250 miles you have a regen, just display the App -> iStop and when regen happens the engine icon is not longer blue and the iStop become "NOT READY" for the whole length of the process, also the average mpg consumption on that page displays "--.--". When after 7-10 minutes the regen has completed, the engine icon returns blue and the iStop becomes "READY". I now have reset the Trip A so I will keep an eye from now on.

After my first service (13k miles) the oil level was just above the max, however now after just 3k miles the oil level has risen of about 8 mm above the max, that means I had many interrupted DPF regens.

With this tip I should hopefully be able to make sure to never interrupt DPF regens. Also, after my first service my drive habits have changed, I still drive 50 miles a day, but no longer on the M4 so it is now somehow more difficult to reach and maintain the right condition for the DPF regen and minimise interruption.

Eddy
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 02:45:11 am »
Why can't we have a DPF regen warning on the display?
Actually, there is a quite reliable way, discovered today. If you know that roughly every 250 miles you have a regen, just display the App -> iStop and when regen happens the engine icon is not longer blue and the iStop become "NOT READY" for the whole length of the process, also the average mpg consumption on that page displays "--.--". When after 7-10 minutes the regen has completed, the engine icon returns blue and the iStop becomes "READY". I now have reset the Trip A so I will keep an eye from now on.

After my first service (13k miles) the oil level was just above the max, however now after just 3k miles the oil level has risen of about 8 mm above the max, that means I had many interrupted DPF regens.

With this tip I should hopefully be able to make sure to never interrupt DPF regens. Also, after my first service my drive habits have changed, I still drive 50 miles a day, but no longer on the M4 so it is now somehow more difficult to reach and maintain the right condition for the DPF regen and minimise interruption.

Eddy

Is this the later KF model. Did you check your oil immediately after it was serviced?

Offline routerunner

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:03 am »
Is this the later KF model.
It's the 2016 model being built in February 2017. I bought the car in June 2017.
Did you check your oil immediately after it was serviced?
Unfortunately I didn't. I know, my bad, I should have really. I don't know whether the oil level was above the max already (unlikely knowing the dealer; when I bought the car last year, the tank had only 30 miles worth of diesel and the dealer had the very embarrassing excuse that their fuel pump did broke the day before, appalling as I bought the car in cash!)

I need to keep an eye on the oil level weekly of course, bit with the iStop application page I can finally keep an eye on it.

The oil is definitively very dark and smell of diesel a little bit, but I don't really fancy pumping out the oil via the dipstick and top up. I've managed to replace the oil as Mazda recommend after 12.5k miles before, hopefully I should be able to do again ;)

I'm glad you replied as I found your posts always very interesting and knowledgeable. I've read somewhere in this forum that you always put a can of BGxxx after 10k miles, is that really make a difference? I filled her with Shell vPower since day one and stick with it. Do you reckon the additives in the diesel are not enough to keep everything clean? Thanks for your advice.

Eddy

Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 01:14:27 pm »
OK, that’s interesting because somebody I was talking to reckoned his 2016 didn’t dilute his oil but that’s another story!

You can get in a proper mess with this oil dilution without the dealer helping. It should have 5.1 litres of oil added which usually brings it to about 5-6mm below the full mark. It should also have the oil data reset or it will start throwing warning lights up. It’s up to you what you do now. You could tell the dealer and let him sort it out or continue to run and see how far you get. If you are mechanically minded, you could do your own oil changes and reset your own oil data. 

Regarding fuel additives, a can of BG244 once a year won’t harm even using V Power but that fuel is heavily loaded with detergent so you are already doing good.

Keep your chin up. It’s all part of running modern diesel engined cars.

Offline CX-Fiver

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 06:51:09 pm »
Just out of interest - because it makes a massive difference to the re-gen cycle - what version of the car's firmware are you lads on? Mazda finally fixed the re-gen issue with firmware EU 59.00.502. If you're on an earlier version then you'll continue to have the issues you describe.

The very latest firmware version is EU 59.00.532 but really, as long as you're on EU 59.00.502 (or the latest EU 59.00.532), you will see an end to these bloody re-gen, oil contamination issues. Your dealer should install either of these firmware versions - preferably the latter obviously.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Offline routerunner

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 09:11:11 pm »
Just out of interest - because it makes a massive difference to the re-gen cycle - what version of the car's firmware are you lads on? Mazda finally fixed the re-gen issue with firmware EU 59.00.502. If you're on an earlier version then you'll continue to have the issues you describe.

The very latest firmware version is EU 59.00.532 but really, as long as you're on EU 59.00.502 (or the latest EU 59.00.532), you will see an end to these bloody re-gen, oil contamination issues. Your dealer should install either of these firmware versions - preferably the latter obviously.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers
I'm on the EU 59.00.502, the dealer did the update in April 2018 as part of the first 12.5K miles service, however I can still see oil dilution, unless the dealer did put more oil than required (unlikely).

I will keep an eye on the oil level in the upcoming weeks and also using the iStop application page to make sure I never interrupt one.

Could you please elaborate more on how Mazda could have fixed the oil dilution issue with a firmware update? If I understood properly the oil dilution is a side effect of interrupting the regen by means of switching the car off, so unless the new firmware update is actually preventing the car from switching off during the regen I don't understand how that could be achieved? Again, this is from my understanding of the whole process and, of course, I could be totally wrong and interested to see comments from experts.

Eddy

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 01:15:30 am »
Firstly, that firmware update is for the audio system. It has nothing to do with the engine.

In addition, let me assure you that dilution is not just a function of interrupted regens. My 2016 had good long runs that got right up to temperature. I knew they were happening by the exhaust note and the loss of Istop but it still diluted at an alarming rate. There may well be software patches that will address some of the dilution but you need to speak to the dealer.

Offline Notoriousdhb

• Self Employed Bookkeeper in the North West
  • Colour: Arctic White
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »
OK, that’s interesting because somebody I was talking to reckoned his 2016 didn’t dilute his oil but that’s another story!

You can get in a proper mess with this oil dilution without the dealer helping. It should have 5.1 litres of oil added which usually brings it to about 5-6mm below the full mark. It should also have the oil data reset or it will start throwing warning lights up. It’s up to you what you do now. You could tell the dealer and let him sort it out or continue to run and see how far you get. If you are mechanically minded, you could do your own oil changes and reset your own oil data. 

Regarding fuel additives, a can of BG244 once a year won’t harm even using V Power but that fuel is heavily loaded with detergent so you are already doing good.

Keep your chin up. It’s all part of running modern diesel engined cars.

Hi, just wondering if you actually do your own oil changes. If so, what oil do you use? Looking at doing interim oil change my self if and when needed.

Many thanks in advance.
Self Employed Bookkeeper in the North West

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »