Author Topic: Pressing the engine on/off button whilst in motion.  (Read 11311 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Pressing the engine on/off button whilst in motion.
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »
I accidentally came across a very interesting YT video recently - one of those that have the habit of appearing in a separate panel to the left of what you are watching at the time. Anyway, the presenter in the video was answering the question of what would be the result of hitting the on/off ignition button whilst the vehicle was actually in motion. A second video answered the question of what would happen to the power assisted steering etc.

Rather than go into long explanations it's probably worth while watching the videos for yourselves bearing in mind that the guy is driving a Ford Focus. https://youtu.be/i-GsIPBEnp8  ...... https://youtu.be/uJXKHrPpXRM

I have to be honest and admit to thinking (as this is the first auto box car that I have owned) what would my OH be advised doing in the event of my suddenly falling unconscious for any reason with my right foot pressed fully on the accelerator pedal. Having watched these two video I'm still non the wiser but has this question crossed anyone's mind in the past or can say for certain what would happen if, when travelling at 70+ down the motorway in a CX-5, someone hit the big button?
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Re: Pressing the engine on/off button whilst in motion.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »
Not sure RE the button, especially if an auto in drive at the time.

However to answer the what if you passed out with your foot pinned, a passenger can do the same as in a manual car and knock it into N and then use the handbrake gently to bring the car to a stop. Putting it into N will stop drive to the wheels allowing the car to slow down regardless of what your unconscious leg is doing on the throttle. Also obviously care would need to be taken that the rear wheels dont lock when applying the hand brake, although at that speed they would need to really wrench the hand brake lever to brake the rear wheels lock. In the newer models with a button for a hand brake if you lift and hold the car will apply the hand brake regardless of speed, however you are much more likely to lock the wheels so better, if there is room, to knock into N and let the car roll to a stop, applying the parking brake when very nearly or completely stopped.

In reality, in a car with a key ignition, the passenger would have been unlikely to be able to lean round the other side of the steering column and turn the key anyway so even if pushing the start/stop button does nothing (which i suspect it would) then you are no worse off than pre start stop button anyway

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: Pressing the engine on/off button whilst in motion.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »