Author Topic: My Brand New Three Cylinder thrashing machine  (Read 56862 times)

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
Re: My Brand New Three Cylinder thrashing machine
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 04:36:15 pm »
Anchorman.
i know how and where Ad Blu is used to effect the reduction of Nox to Nitrogen and water.

The Skyactiv engine in our Mazda3 never did this high revving in the 3 years we owned it.

When the CX-5 began this terrible knocking and banging at 1170 miles I was informed by Mazda UK that the entire interior of the engine had been redesigned from the one in the Mazda3, the redesigned engine now has this high revving start up which I do understand as to the requirements of it as the compression ratio has been reduced from 16 to 14 to 1 with one exhaust valve remaining slightly open allowing hot gasses to filter into the EGR and Catalyst for a quicker warm up.

THIS I KNOW AND UNDERSTAND !

What irks me is that Mazda will not take responsibility for the engine in MY CX-5 being faulty and failing to do anything positive about it, I am still waiting on the report by the Senior Technician to  Tracey Lines at Mazda UK, if nothing was found wrong how come it takes a week to let me know, my intuition is that there is something wrong with it which is the reason for this blog.
I don't trust anyone over problematic vehicles due to my 28 years of dealing with people who seldom told me the truth.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 05:46:48 pm »
Just got off the phone with Tracey Lines of Mazda UK, the engineers report yielded no faults with Clarice, am I surprised ? not really as who is going to state that a vehicle made by the company you work for is problematic.There will be no fix for our CX-5 engine so we'll get rid off as soon as possible

So as far as I am concerned this will be the last ever Mazda we will ever purchase and I will advise anyone who asks me about the marque to think very carefully before doing so as unless it fails completely, falls off of or disintegrates Mazda's warranty is worth absolutely JACK. they will do precisely nothing about it, wonderful way to deal with long standing customers in this day and age.

So much for Japanese integrity and workmanship, jinba itia and all the other slogans they proffer.

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 11:08:47 pm »
Well to be honest I thought that might happen and it’s probably not been helped by your stubborn attitude. Your engine won’t fall to bits as a result of this start up noise although I agree it can be disconcerting when it does it badly.

If you behave the same with them as you do on here, they’ll probably be glad to see the back of you. Mine is off to RRG Stockport. I don’t really want it pulling to bits if it’s more than just air getting in.  I don’t really see it as my last car and in another 18 months or so I’ll change it for the later model.  I’ll let you know if they clear it though.

Good luck with whatever you buy buddy. I hope you get something you’re really pleased with.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2018, 07:53:22 am »
Just got off the phone with Tracey Lines of Mazda UK, the engineers report yielded no faults with Clarice, am I surprised ? not really as who is going to state that a vehicle made by the company you work for is problematic.

I've been following this thread with great interest and see no need to make any judgemental comment at this time,  either positive or negative. What I have found surprising though is that you haven't sought an independent engineers report from a well respected and trusted company with which to pursue the matter further through legal channels. You come across as being absolutely convinced that there exists a technical defect (possibly a design concept defect to boot) and without an intermediary i.e. an independent report I can't see you making further progress in this matter.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2018, 09:41:03 am »
I would have thought an independent engineer report would be a smart move. I think with respect you might also benefit from focusing on your specific legitimate complaint about the 3 cylinder thing; the other points you make are muddying the water.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:54 pm »
Gentlemen I will answer as follows:-
Anchorman,

The point I was making and you did not grasp was that It took me years to get to the point where we could afford a new car and now we have the most expensive one we have purchased, because of the lousy start up from cold it SOMETIMES displays and Mazda UK have dragged their feet over and finally have denied any responsibility over,  has tarnished our enjoyment beyond compare and we have paid much money for a vehicle which as far as I am concerned does not measure up. If that makes me Stubborn then yes you are right I am, my own view is that Motor Manufacturers fail to give creedence to those of us who do know the workings of engines and will always deny responsibility leaving me in this case to carry the can for their failings

Deeps and TWAbrigs,

An independent engineer report would be based on what he/she found at the time of making their visual check, any strip down without Mazda approval would invalidate any warranty on the vehicle and i would be liable for costs incurred. The engineer would not be accountable for the Video's i have captured and could not use them in any report furnished to me or the Ombudsman as to the Engine start up from cold.
Because the nature of this is so erratic it would be a crap shoot as to whether it happened when he/she viewed the vehicle and if on the day it did not make the erratic and noisy 3 cylinder start then I would have wasted my money would I not.

I do not make complaints lightly, it takes a lot for me to get to the point where action needs to be taken, in the right way, not making mistakes in adhering to codes and practises that will allow me to take this further.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 10:17:43 pm »
Understood. I think people participating in this thread are generally on your side; it sounds like you have various plans in hand to pursue this and I wish you the very best. It does sound like you have been sold a lemon. Like you, my current car is the newest and most expensive I've ever owned and it would be deeply disappointing if it seemed to be a pig in a poke so to speak.

Apologies for mixing my metaphors..!

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2018, 07:31:08 am »
If it only sometimes does it, it’s not an impending certain mechanical failure. I don’t believe it’s a lemon either, it just needs sorting out but when you go in there laying the law down and insisting you know more than they do, they won’t be in a hurry to keep you around. It still starts, it runs nice when it is started, stop worrying.

Offline YX1109

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2018, 11:08:10 am »
Problems with cars of all types go on, you buy one from a manufacturer and it's a good one, no bother
does what it says on the tin etc.Not related to Mazda, but I had one car that was superb for 4 and a half years and 100 k with no problems. So when I had chance, I bought the next generation car from the same source.
It was a pig, problems from day one all through warranty and at 5 and a half year old 60 k on the clock
I gave in and got rid before it cost me more than it already had.It was the most expensive car I ever bought.
To me in my opinion  cars are a bit of a lottery, you get a good one and maybe next time, a good one, or the odd rouge. Puts you off that manufacturer for a long time. Just a thought on a ongoing problem we all face.
Will the next one be as good as the last or a bitter disappointment .??After all we are spending a lot of money
probably second largest purchase ,in money terms, that we will make.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 08:05:34 am »
Anchorman,

YX1109 gets it right on the nail.

I will put it to you this way:-
Would you buy a new house with one window different to all the rest ? I bet you would not and would complain to have the errant fixture put to rights.
This CX5 is no different to that, it has a fault , I want it put right simple as.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2018, 06:42:11 pm »
Anchorman,

YX1109 gets it right on the nail.

I will put it to you this way:-
Would you buy a new house with one window different to all the rest ? I bet you would not and would complain to have the errant fixture put to rights.
This CX5 is no different to that, it has a fault , I want it put right simple as.

In your analogy, having one window different to the rest would have the house fall down.

Offline CX-Fiver

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2018, 09:51:32 am »
Anchorman - succinctly put!

If Clarice feels "YX1109 gets it right on the nail" - and I think he/she does - how does that view sit with "as we all know Mazda have been past masters in the art of duff engines ( Rotary being a prime example )"? Apart from the misuse of the word "we" - I know nothing of the sort - they're completely opposing positions.

I still maintain that Clarice's issue needs to be sorted by the dealer but to write off all of Mazda's engine output is way over the top. The rotary engine did indeed burn a lot of oil and wear out rotor tips but everyone who bought one knew that up front - it was a great engine in a lot of respects and you pays your money and takes your choice. All Mazda's other engines have been excellent/reliable (in my opinion) and which other manufacturer produces 100% perfect engines with no recorded faults?

Finally, do you member Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement? I stopped watching it because every time a respected journalist had an opposing view, they were shouted down because Jimmy always pulled the "As a former player, manager and chairman...….." line. Remind you of anyone?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:16:50 am by CX-Fiver »

Offline Clarice

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2018, 10:11:17 am »
Anchorman... Really ?

CX-Fiver... The problem is Mazda itself not the dealer, he is franchised and therefore if he does not adhere to what Mazda says he can do or not, He then becomes liable NOT Mazda for any future repairs. Clever way of sidestepping responsibility and hemming in the dealer.

Despite plenty of video evidence showing 3 cylinder start-ups which were forwarded to them ( Mazda UK) and the engineer when I saw him they conclude there is no fault when clearly there is. However as soon as I can this one is gone and no more Mazda's for me

'Do one thing right you tell one other, do one thing wrong you tell one hundred'

Rotary engines back in the 1970's the seals on the edges of the rotors were not the problem, the water jacket seals between the rotor housings and end caps were because of the dissimilar metals used, they twisted the seals under hot and cold conditions causing failure and evacuation of coolant. I had to strip plenty of rotary's in the day to fix this fault which occurred with regularity around 20,000 miles and on occasions less. If you think that makes it a good engine I don't, for me longevity is key and I don't see the Skyactiv diesel with it's complicated cold start set up being long lived in it's present form.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »
= I don't see the Skyactiv diesel with it's complicated cold start set up being long lived in it's present form.

At the risk of setting another hare running, I couldn't let this comment go really...the CX5 has been around for what 6 years now? The oil sump dump problem is well known (I have experienced it), but apparently now resolved through careful regen management by the driver, a software update and (comically) moving the X on the dipstick. And possibly through evolution of the engine in the later models (mine is 2013 so I haven't really kept up with the next gen).

I am not aware of any failures linked to the cold start / high revs which is planned characteristic of the engine.

So in terms of longevity it depends on how many years you want to wait to say the skyactiv diesel is sound or unsound, but so far so good as far as I know.

As before, I do acknowledge the problems you are having but they are hardly endemic.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
TWAbrigs,

In answer to your question I put it this way, I personally run a 23 year old Vauxhall Astra Hatchback with a 1,7 ISUZU Turbo diesel which has covered 185,000 miles with all the original running gear and absolutely love the old bus because she starts up without any rattles knocks or 3 cylinder rumbles as does our CX-5, gives me 50=55 mpg as well as being comfortable to ride in, I have complete confidence that wherever I take her she will get there and get back whatever the detractors of Vauxhall have to say I have had many and have covered high mileages in all of them without any problems.

Will the CX-5 we have compete with that I think.. NO! fully believe it will not.

Although the vehicle is one of the very best I have driven and sat in I am afraid this particular one is a lemon in respect of the lousy engine which still starts with bangs and rattles NO modern vehicle should have.

THIS is my ONLY contention, which Mazda refuse to deal with because it comes under the 'TOO DIFFICULT TO DO' Banner

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »