Author Topic: Reversing Camera  (Read 57164 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Reversing Camera
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »

What do others think?

Not a lot, in fact it's worse than awful but you already know that. If it's of any consolation at all (not that it is of course), it's on a par with other pictures that I've seen recently of CX-5's such as yours where cameras were fitted as standard. The reversing cameras that were later fitted under the umbrella of optional extras produce much clear pictures although whether this is down to improved lens/camera quality, firmware or perhaps a combination of both I wouldn't know.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Deeps any chance of posting a night picture of your camera to show Mazda?

I've sent a copy to Mazda asking for the camera to be replaced (today), so awaiting a reply.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 04:01:00 pm »
OK although the first opportunity will be Sunday evening when we have no option but to be out (birthdays and all that) and with the awful weather here at the moment I'm not taking it out on the street just for a photograph. That said, should the right amount of pennies suddenly land in my bank account I might perhaps be open to persuasion.  ;D ;D ;D

In the meantime, and I'm hoping Will won't mind me doing this and if so I'll soon find out of course lol, take a look at the pictures in post #198 here http://www.cx5-forum.de/f11/rueckfahrkamera-pixelige-anzeige-4928-20.html . The top one was taken in twilight with firmware v230 whilst the second, and much better one, was taken in darkness with firmware v511.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »
Here you have some more info :

http://www.cx5-forum.de/f12/rueckfahrkamera-fuer-fl-4476-17.html

It concerns a FL CX-5, born in july 2015. Reversing camera installed in dec 2015.

I am very pleased with it; even by night the camera works very well.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
And to confirm Deeps remark : CMU V.56.00.511 even betters the quality!

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 04:36:38 pm »
Thanks for the links, yet another registration!

I'm on the latest firmware, but I struggling to see how it can improve the picture quality?

Screen resolution and camera quality usually determine the picture in my experience.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 04:48:48 pm »
If you have a built-in camera (ex-factory) I'm afraid that the quality cannot be improved (cfr. the german forum).

The first camera's were not of the best....

Offline Deeps

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »

Screen resolution and camera quality usually determine the picture in my experience.

To a certain extent yes although you have to remember that we're talking a digital image here not a negative. Being digital the raw data captured (raw data cannot be visualised) needs to be processed and turned into a visual image. During this process, the signal captured by the tiny sensor needs to be amplified at which time noise suppression also takes place. It is often this noise suppression software that marks out a good camera and very often, good software too - I'm thinking Adobe Photoshop here. In the case of the pictures linked to earlier, the first image is degraded and the software (firmware) has not done a very good job of suppressing the noise whilst in the second, the noise suppression is much better. With very low light levels much greater amplification is need and hence noise suppression because after all it's not like a normal camera having a flash available
As a rule - greater signal amplification results in greater noise which needs suppressing. Too much suppressing and sharpness deteriorates. I'm sure that a Canon 100mm lens placed on the back of the car would also produce a much better image but whose going to pay to have that fitted?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:54:49 pm by Deeps »

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 05:29:02 pm »
If you have a built-in camera (ex-factory) I'm afraid that the quality cannot be improved (cfr. the german forum).

While the reversing camera on my 2013 cx5 didn't show as much detail as my 2009 Xtrail camera, it was still ok both night and day.
The 2015 camera has more detail than the last cx-5, (that is objects appear larger and are easier to see) and has a better day time picture, its only the night vision that is exceptionally poor on my car.

I could do with some comments from Sport owners re the 2015 car to establish if they are all the same?

Offline Jace Mindu

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 11:00:10 pm »
Holy thread revival!

Hi guys! New owner of a 2015+ CX-5. Unfortunately it doesn't have the reverse camera that I'm used to. I've noticed some people selling the reversing camera on eBay which seems to consist of just the wired camera section. A YouTube fitting video seems to suggest that there is a missing wire section around the passenger footwell. Has anyone fitted the factory kit and can advise on what exactly is included? If it's just the camera then great, but if it needs that additional wire section then I need to try and source that also.

By the way I'm not looking for aftermarket. I've fitted them before but this this car I'd rather keep to factory kits whenever possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 09:05:25 am »

While the reversing camera on my 2013 cx5 didn't show as much detail as my 2009 Xtrail camera, it was still ok both night and day.
The 2015 camera has more detail than the last cx-5, (that is objects appear larger and are easier to see) and has a better day time picture, its only the night vision that is exceptionally poor on my car.

I could do with some comments from Sport owners re the 2015 car to establish if they are all the same?

My 2015 sport nav had an excellent reversing camera, night and day.

My new sprot nav doesn't seem as good on quality, but I have the safety pack with all round cameras, with spilt screens on the display so perhaps not an exact comparison

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 09:05:25 am »