Author Topic: Paintwork scratches and windscreen chips  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Rob99

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
Paintwork scratches and windscreen chips
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:38 am »
Bought a new CX-5 in October in a beautiful deep crystal blue. It looked outstanding when I picked it up but hasn’t stayed that way long.

Driving the car home from the dealership after picking it up new, I joined the M25 to get home. By the time I had done the 30 mile journey, I had two medium sized stone chips on the windscreen. I was not driving close to the cars in front and was being particularly cautious in a brand new car.

Since October, every panel has a scratch or two. None are deep, but all are noticeable. I have never hit anything in this car and the damage has not been caused by any collisions with anything. 

I can only guess that the paintwork is so soft that it gets scratched by people walking past and brushing it!

One side that is particularly bad is where I have to drive very slowly down a narrow road that has soft bushes. The car every now and then has to gently drive so the tips would touch the car but these are soft and have never damaged any other car I have had in the last thirty years that do the same journey.

This weekend, the drivers windscreen wiper has scratched a complete arc that follows the travel of the wiper. I guess the scratch is around two feet in length and is right in my line of sight perfectly. I assume a bit of grit has done it.

All my previous cars (seven of them) have never suffered from any paintwork or windscreen damage.

My previous car (Ford Focus Titanium X) was bought from new and sold after seven years without a blemish on the paintwork or windscreen.  This CX-5 is only five months old.

I’m not just having a moan but would be interested if any other 2019 CX-5 owners have also noticed the paint is extremely fragile or the windscreen suffers damage easily?

Even my kids know not to touch the paint work in case their fingernails scratch the car which is ridiculous.

I really love the car apart from this and wouldn’t choose anything else but do feel let down a bit.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:32:24 am by Rob99 »

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Re: Paintwork scratches and windscreen chips
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:45 pm »
Mazda admitted to problem on Soul Red Metallic, but was sorted post Jan 19 production.
Paint softness partly attributable to the EU directive requiring these paints now
to be water based.

Quite a lot on US forum about it.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/just-how-thin-paint-39358/
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline Brian14

• Retired but still working hard.
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:26:46 pm »
My 2018 is Sonic Silver the paintwork marks easily , scratches, chips easily, the plastic areas in particular. The windscreen also has several chips one which has been repaired. Apart from that I am very pleased with the car my second CX5, the 2015 model previously owned was much better body wise.
Retired but still working hard.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:26:46 pm »