Author Topic: Bose Door zspeaker  (Read 9569 times)

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Bose Door zspeaker
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »
Had a bad door rattle from drivers door with the speaker. Took the door card off and found the back of the speaker has come unstuck and that's what's rattling.
Anyone else had this? Looks like I am going to have to find a new Bose Door speaker

Offline RAB2000

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: Bose Door speaker
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19:17 pm »
Hi

I've got a 2012 CX-5 Sport with the Bose set up.  Bought the car from a Mazda dealer in 2016 and within a couple of months had a rattle from the left speaker.  Took it in and speaker was replaced under the 1 year Mazda warranty the car came with.

The dealer said water had got on the speaker.

Now 18 months+ into ownership the driver side speaker has the same rattle.  Not asked Mazda yet but not expecting any assistance given out of 1 year warranty and car is 6 years old.

However some internet research shows that this seems to be quite a common problem with Bose speakers.  I think something to do with lack of protection from water and also poor glue on the speaker that eventually comes unstuck. 

Not sure whether Bose have improved the design in later years.

I'm sure the part price for the warranty speaker replacement was something like £180.

I've not had the door card off yet (easy job?) but one option appears to be that you could repair/glue speaker.

Otherwise may eventually replace both front speakers with aftermarket ones.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:04:24 pm by RAB2000 »

Offline RAB2000

Re: Bose Door speaker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:04:02 pm »
Hi

Just had a problem with the passenger door mirror so might be attempting to take passenger door card off for that.  If easy enough them I may take a look at the driver side door speaker.  I think I've read that someone managed to repair the speaker with superglue (sounds a bit too hopeful though).

Otherwise, does anyone know where cheapest to buy a new Bose speaker or recommendations for straight replacement.  I would of course be looking to then replace both with something aftermarket but won't be going down the route of amps etc.

Concern seems to be size of the Bose speaker and then having space for adaptors etc.

Thank you.

Offline RAB2000

Re: Bose Door zspeaker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:18:29 pm »
Just an update from me.  Whilst having a look at the door mirror on the passenger side I thought I might as well take the door card off the driver's side and take a look at the speaker.

Took the speaker out and yes some reasonably minor rust on the speaker frame but could see that the central rubber part of the back of the speaker had mostly (60-70% say) come unstuck from the speaker frame. 

So I had a go at super gluing it.  You could get some glue all round the edge and then get your finger underneath and push it back on the frame.  There's not much material to glue back and it's very thin and some ends up sticking to your finger. 

It did seem to work and when re-installed the rattle noise had gone.  Not sure how long it will last and next time there will be less material to work with.

I did take out the new speaker that was put in under warranty I think at the start of 2017 and as far as I could tell it was identical.  It had a 2016 production date compared to 2012 on the driver's side that I 'repaired'.

Might be of use to someone.....

Would still be interested to know if anyone has changed their Bose front speakers to something else.  It would be a bit of a fiddle to connect etc. 

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: Bose Door zspeaker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:18:29 pm »