Author Topic: Thank you for the add.  (Read 17546 times)

Offline Harllequin

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Thank you for the add.
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:24:13 am »
Hi there folks.

Thanks for allowing me to join up.

We have not bought our CX-5 yet and have been having a good look through these pages to find out anything I should look out for when going to see one.

We have a limited budget so will be looking around the 2013 to 2015 age of vehicle.

Due to needing to pull the caravan the 2.2 Sport Nav 172bhp is our choice vehicle in manual form.
This will replace our Ssangyon Rexton which is a beast of a tow vehicle but it's MPG is not the best, which is why we have come to look at the CX-5.  I know there is a huge disparity in quoted to actual but from what I read from people who use these for towing they are still getting around 32 MPG.

We are starting our hunt next week, its going to be fun asking people to let me know the last 6 digits of their vin plate before we go to see it!!  Bet that gets some strange comments :)

One thing I was wondering, that I can't seem to find the answer to is, when the oil is changed at the Mazda dealers they reset something in the ECU regarding oil quality.  Is that the same as the service schedule being reset by the infotainment unit?  Oil being a rather critical thing for these little machines I'm rather curious.

Anyway thanks again for the add and thanks in advance regarding the oil ecu reset.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Thank you for the add.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:54 pm »
Hi and welcome.

AFAIK, the only thing reset is the service indicator itself. There's nothing that checks the oil "quality" as such; however, the oil warning light will come on if the oil pressure is low, but also if the oil is suffering from dilution from DPF flushback - see here.

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=701.msg4840#msg4840

From your reference to the VIN, you obviously know about the early camshaft issues...

Alan

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:11:20 pm »
We have not bought our CX-5 yet and have been having a good look through these pages to find out anything I should look out for when going to see one.

We have a limited budget so will be looking around the 2013 to 2015 age of vehicle.

Due to needing to pull the caravan the 2.2 Sport Nav 172bhp is our choice vehicle in manual form.
This will replace our Ssangyon Rexton which is a beast of a tow vehicle but it's MPG is not the best, which is why we have come to look at the CX-5.  I know there is a huge disparity in quoted to actual but from what I read from people who use these for towing they are still getting around 32 MPG.

We are starting our hunt next week, its going to be fun asking people to let me know the last 6 digits of their vin plate before we go to see it!!  Bet that gets some strange comments :)

One thing I was wondering, that I can't seem to find the answer to is, when the oil is changed at the Mazda dealers they reset something in the ECU regarding oil quality.  Is that the same as the service schedule being reset by the infotainment unit?  Oil being a rather critical thing for these little machines I'm rather curious.

Beware some early versions of the 2.2 diesel had camshafts made from cheese - personally I'd look for late 2014 or later.  The car also had a mild facelift early 2015 - the pre-facelift has orange lighting on the heater control panel and clock etc, and knobs on the face of the stereo.  The post-facelift has white heater control lighting and a full touch screen with no knobs on the front of it, and a volume knob next to the commander knob on the centre console.

I get about 40mpg with my 175ps Sports Nav auto in winter and 45mpg in summer, but I don't tow with mine so don't know what it'll return.

I had Forscan plugged in to mine the other day - there's a setting called "reset engine oil deterioration learned value", and I've read that this needs reset with an oil change.  The engine dumps diesel into the sump when a dpf regen fails, thus diluting the oil.  As a side note mine has covered a full year (10000 miles) and the "Oil-Dil, kg" reading (I assume oil dilution) read 0, although it gets quite an easy life with daily commute being 23 miles each way, mainly on motorways.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:13 pm »
We have somewhat different model variations and specifications over here in Germany with my ownership being the 2.2D 150PS Exclusive Line, 4WD, Auto. I've had this vehicle new from late 2015 and have covered a little over 16.000km with probably a quarter of this distance i.e. 4.000km towing our caravan (see details in forum profile to the left). During towing the consumption averages out as being 10.3l/100km which I am more than happy with.
When not towing, the towball usually has a cycle carrier stuck on the back upon which 2 x 26kg e-bikes are placed. The average consumption at this time varies little to the average daily use which is around the 6.7 - 7.3l/100km mark.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Harllequin

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:00:18 am »
After a good look around we traveled just short of 100 mile to Sheffield and came back with our CX5 :)

It's a 64 plate 175bhp AWD Sport Nav with just over 50k miles on.

Very impressed with it so far.

Fueled up just before the motorway filling to the brim after several clicking sessions and finally I couldn't get any more fuel in.  Then once on motorway I set the cruise control to 70 mph and just sat back and chilled.

93 mile later we pulled into Morrisons at Bishop Auckland and tanked it up to check how it did.  Again fueling until no more would go in.  This was my first shock.  6 litres used!!!  I waited a while and tried to ad more fuel but she was full to the top!!
MPG average in car stated 54 but after reading on here the variances there can be I used golders mpg check online and got a bit of a shock!!!  93 mile covered, 6 liters used 70.46MPG!!!!
We did have a lovely run back up, no braking or acceleration needed from me as the traffic gods were kind but even still!!!

Sunday we went to the south lakes over the A66 and had a spirited drive with no mind to MPG and average in car had a reading of 39 MPG.  Those type of figures I can live with after the slightly more thirsty Rexton!!!

I was a bit of a pull at the heart strings seeing the Rexton go off with it's new owner, but mitigated very nicely with the CX5!!!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:00:18 am »