Author Topic: Passenger door mirror - not folding  (Read 24719 times)

Offline RAB2000

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Passenger door mirror - not folding
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:46:10 pm »
Hi

We had a flat battery on the car on Friday.  We had this once before and put that one down to being an interior light left on.  The car is a 2012 reg so possibly the battery is getting weak but it had a decent run the week before so something must have drained it.

Then on Saturday the passenger door mirror stopped folding.  I noticed that I could here the motor running inside but it did seem to stop itself once all switched off.  It does make me wonder if somehow it had continued running from the previous weekend.

So for the mirror I guess it's the same fault as on this thread:

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=50.msg237#msg237

It does seem like a weak point although the web is not exactly swamped with the fault but perhaps it will increase as the CX-5 gets older.

So now deciding what to do:

- Speak to dealer, see if they'll attempt to replace the gear (seems unlikely) or otherwise get a quote for the full repair with replacement whole mirror

- Have a go at DIY.  Strip the door card off and then fit it seems.  I've fiddled with car hifi systems but no expert but seems like an OK job to attempt

A couple of questions:

- New mirrors seem to come with a black primer cover.  Can I take the old cover (blue) and fit to the new door mirror assembly?

- I'm guessing most of the online options to buy the part are 'after-market' rather than OEM such as the following:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-CX-5-2012-2016-Electric-Powerfold-Indicator-Wing-Door-Mirror-Passenger/332459705603?fits=Model%3ACX-5&epid=8010367963&hash=item4d68248503:g:sEwAAOSw1~JZS7PS:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Would something like that be ok or is their a place to buy OEM part?

Thank you

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:51:34 pm by RAB2000 »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Passenger door mirror - not folding
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:27:14 pm »
Yeah, that was on my first CX5. It never happened again and the next two cars have also not had the issue. I think this was something confined again to early models; perhaps they did take notice at Mazda  :D.
Dealer will almost certainly replace the drive module complete. If so, mirror breakage is highly likely. Don't let them try to charge you for that as well! I successfully argued that you shouldn't have to break a perfectly good part to replace a broken one.
The new cover I had fitted later on came ready painted, if I recall correctly. That was 4+ years ago, though, so it would make sense that they only keep the older shape ones in primer now.
Can't comment on the e-bay one, but I guess you'd need to get a pair for it to look right?

Alan

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:50 am »
I’ve had a raft of left door mirrors fail - one on every one of 3!  There is a TSB now but only for warranty models. You can swap the mirror cover if you can get it off without breaking it. Stick it in a bucket of hot water before trying.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline RAB2000

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »
Thank you both.

Seems like a replacement is the way.  I think your messages imply that a new wing mirror assembly will not include the mirror itself, hence try and use the old one but likely to break.

I imagine the EBay one for around £106 is a copy part so should only need one and the seller has confirmed my existing painted cover can be used.

Alternatively SG Petch are selling what would be OEM part on Ebay for around £156 I think.

Thanks

Offline RAB2000

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:36:19 pm »
Hi Anchorman, your message on the other door mirror thread got me thinking.  It might be possible for me to get the broken door mirror off and open it up and then take out the motor.  I'm not too bothered about losing the folding function but am concerned about the motor running and potentially draining the battery.

Do you think that's feasible?  I realise there's still a risk of the mirror breaking.

Thanks

Offline RAB2000

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
An update from me here.

I was feeling brave and thought I'd have a go at this.  So I managed to get the whole mirror unit off.  I then soaked it in very hot water.  Next step I managed to get the existing glass out without breaking it.  Next step was removing the coloured cover and that came off ok.

After that it was a case of unscrewing everything I could find until I got to the motor.  Eventually managed to pull the motor out and found the broken cog.  After that put it all back together without the motor.  Re-installed everything and back on the car.  So glass mirror can still be adjusted but have lost the power fold of course.  Not too bothered about that on the passenger side.  The mirror does have say an inch of slack movement forward and back now, well since it broke, so will live with that unless it starts to move when driving.

I'm no DIY expert but having spent say 3 hours in total (it would be quicker 2nd time of course!) and all the way half expecting something to break I'd generally not recommend it unless you're feeling brave.  Although to a certain extent there's not much to lose as it's already broken of course!

The instructions here were quite useful:
https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/8iqvv-mazda-cx5-replace-drivers-side-mirror-housing.html

One thing I did that was different was to remove the coloured cover I pushed the clips out from the inside.  These can be accessed once the glass has been removed.  It appeared to be impossible to do any other way.  Even then it was a pain.  I used to tiny screwdrivers to push and wedge as many clips in one go as I could.

Other thing - when removing the door cards about half of them broke.   that may have been me being ham-fisted but cheap enough to get some replacements anyway so not too bad.

Offline Huxie

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11:56 am »
I’ve had a raft of left door mirrors fail - one on every one of 3!  There is a TSB now but only for warranty models. You can swap the mirror cover if you can get it off without breaking it. Stick it in a bucket of hot water before trying.

@Anchorman Mine’s just failed, 2012 model. Does the TSB cover this model? If so, any chance of sight of it?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:56:29 pm by Huxie »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11:56 am »