Author Topic: It started with a squeal and ended with replacement camshaft and turbo  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Huxie

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
CX-5 went in recently for an interim oil change. When I went to pick it up they mentioned that the tech had noticed a squealing noise when driving the car out of the bay. A quick check showed the drive belt was showing signs of cracking so might be slipping but it could be more serious i.e. turbo bearings, so advised to book it in for investigation.

End result was the camshaft was found to be damaged leading to metal swarf in the oil causing damage to the turbo. The aux belt was also damaged and a tensioner needed replacing. CX-5 is a 2012 model, done 52,000 miles and the VIN is in the range for the ‘soft’ camshaft problem. I’ve always had extended warranty since I bought the car at just over 3 years old so all the work, apart from replacement aux belt, was covered (circa £2500).

Pleased in a strange kind of way that it’s happened and is now out of the way because I really love the car, have no need or intention to upgrade, but always had a slight niggle in the back of mind that it might happen one day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:41:02 pm by Huxie »

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
impressed with your attitude - very wise to have extended the warranty too

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Sensible decision and a good result. Bet the extended warranty didn't cost £2.5k!

Mazda CX-5 Forums